The Official 2020 MLS SuperDraft thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 13, 2019.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a single player Ian Russell wanted, huh...

2in10 repped this.
  2. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he have a say any more? 1868 is about to become more of a U-23 team with all of the older players who have been released/not signed/not picked up.

Hertzog has told us his option was picked up when SJ/Reno found out San Diego were interested in him. If the move scuttles his signing with SD Hertzog may retire. Same with Geadle as he is looking to move back to England and has had very good interest from clubs over there.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Seems odd that you don't at least take a flyer.

Note as bad as Montreal and other teams who PASSED on draft picks that they had previously traded for. Montreal actually had two such picks! LOL.

markmcf8 and Boysinblue repped this.
  4. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    There might be a financial obligation to picks made in the draft that might not exist if you pick them up as free agents.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hertzog wants to retire? Really?

6. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't want to but will if the deal is torpedoed is what he told some of us supporters.

falvo repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Torpedoed deal? Meaning they won't pay him that much?

8. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had an agreement with SD and was about to sign with them when his option was picked up. Apparently SJ/Reno are now asking for a transfer fee.

falvo repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But don't USL players get a percentage of the transfer fee? Is it too small to retire for?

10. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know on the fee. I think it is something like 15K. He is at the point in life with family, age and all that he is ready to change to his back up career if he can not play where he is wanted.

I think Reno is getting a make over to be more like the Quakes. The new players signed and most of the returnees are more pacy that what we had last year.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah at 29 , if he hasn't really made it to MLS by then , I don' blame him for looking for something else. I mean to be over 30 and still playing in the USL trying to earn a living is not all that great. Unless you are Drogba who was probably making a lot because of his name...

2in10 repped this.
  12. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10...it seems like a lot of last year's Reno players are unsigned. If it's a speed thing, I understand why Casiple might not be there, but why Duke LaCroix? Can you give any other updates on the roster. It really does seem like a huge turnover. They had that speedy forward (whose name is escaping me) that's not on the roster now....and Mendiola and Mfeka and Gallindo. Maybe this isn't the thread for this question....

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the list of signed players so far.
    https://www.reno1868fc.com/tracker
    Haven't heard much on most of the players. Musovsky was signed by an MLS club. Gallindo was a loan so I think the loan is over. Mfeka sounded as though he was gone after our playoff loss as did most of the team to be honest, but again we have not heard much otherwise. I don't understand not picking up LaCroix. Paradela was a loan for the last half of the year. I believe that we are waiting for the Quakes to make the players available that Almeyda is interested in. Apparently Reno ownership has agreed to give all player control over to the Quakes.

14. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I had forgotten some were loans. I'm going to just have to get used to a rather different team then...that's okay with me. A few familiar faces though--I would assume Richards is bit of fan favorite generally to create some of that continuity. Rivas and Gleadle may be becoing that. In the Reno thread here, I'm sure you'll keep us in the loop. There's a lot more new players to learn about regarding Reno compared to the Quakes when it comes to this offseason. I saw mention of 3 days of completely combined training between the two teams. I think that sounds great, if not potentially being a bit chaotic.

2in10 repped this.
  15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure on Gleadle staying here. He has teams back home in England looking at him and if he can get them to pay the transfer fee he is gone.

Richards is a favorite as is Gleadle. Rivas has work to do on that point. Janjigian runs hot and cold with the fans depending on form but is a good guy. Partida, being a local boy, is a favorite. The rest will have to grow on us. I'll try to keep everyone updated as best I can on the Reno thread.

I think that will be a big positive to have 3 days combined training if it happens and is successful. Reno to San Jose by plane is not a difficult or particularly taxing trip.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Question:

What is the point of passing or rather taking a PASS on a draft pick?

Maybe he will turn into a great or even decent player but they won’t ever know if they don’t pick him...

markmcf8 and sacrxy repped this.
  17. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    May be this team is too cheap to even fly couple players in, put them up in a hotel, feed and water for a week or two to see if they would work out or not.

Beerking repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #93 falvo, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    They could draft local players from Santa Clara , Cal , USF , SJSU or Stanford. Like Adam Jahn did, they could continue to live locally , on campus or student housing and then attend Quakes training sessions and won’t have far to drive..

Who knows, maybe they will turn into great players but they won’t know if they don’t pick anyone...

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With youth systems now producing homegrown players, who are salary cap exempt, I think the draft is becoming less deep and less of a priority. I agree that it seems a waste to take passes, but if we only have so much capacity for youth development it might be better to concentrate. Ten other teams took a pas in the 3rd round and fifteen of the teams took a pass in the 4th. If we develop at least two of the three picks we made from the 1st or 2nd rounds I will be thrilled. We do not have a stellar record in developing drafted player.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #95 falvo, Jan 18, 2020
    If history proves anything , at least as far as the Quakes are concerned , college players are much more prepared than the youth ones are. Just look at all of the players who played college ball who are starting or even reserves. Not sure about the rest of the league but I don’t put any importance in developing youth players for San Jose.

Paul Marie , Jackson Yeuil , Siad Haji and Andrew Tarbell all played college ball. Good or bad, they’ve all had more playing time than any youth team player.

Nick Lima might be listed as an academy player but he still played four years at Cal.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #96 falvo, Jan 18, 2020
    Fatai Alashe who went to Michigan State also ended up playing in 85 games for San Jose. Again, maybe his worth or merit wasn’t that great but it was a lot better and more productive than anything our youth academy players have produced.

Tommy Thompson notwithstanding..

22. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I partially agree, but I think we need to distinguish between top round draft pick and lower round draft pick. Your examples are from the 1st and 2nd round, and we made all three picks from those rounds. Tommy and Nick are homegrown players and starters, and of out draft picks Yueill is our only starter. Technically you could count Shea and Wondo, but they both left and came back. What I am talking about is homegrown versus the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft. I'll stick with that assertion. Dallas has shown the league how you can use youth development in a superior, even profitable, way. Our organization is attempting to build such a pipeline, and I would love to see this come to fruition. JT and Cade look promising.

To be clear, I think the priorities are the top of the draft (and we did trade to get an additional pick) and our youth academy. The 3rd and 4th rounds are good for opportunities the staff see. If they are not interesting, then there is no reason to waste everyone's time. Over half of the teams felt that way about the 4th round.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Okay, got curioous and did some looking. The Home grown rule came in in 2014. Here are our 3rd & 4th round picks during that time:

Nathan Aune (3rd)
    Pass (4th)

Kevin Partida (3rd)
    Pass (4th)

Christian Theirjung (3rd)
    Auden Schilder (4th)

Kip Colvey (3rd)
    Tyler Thompson (4th)

Keasel Broome (3rd)
    Chimdum Mez (4th)

AJ Corrado (3rd)
    Devante Dubose (4th)

So, two of those players saw the field, and Partida had promise. During the 2008-13 time period two 3rd round picks made the field, Jahn and Amarikwa. I think these are the types of players you are referring to Falvo. I agree that if there is a diamond in the rough we should start polishing. However, I wonder if players like this will now he in academy systems and either be selected earlier in life or allowed to play in college and then join the team. MLS is changing.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #99 falvo, Jan 18, 2020
    Kip Colvey would have been great if he could have made a living playing soccer. His trouble was he just wasn't making enough to live on and that is why he quit.

If you scouted correctly and looked at the local schools, I’m sure you can find some good players who may have been overlooked and draft them in the lower rounds. I don't see how they wouldn't be just as good as the current Quakes projects who are taking forever to develop and get ready in Gilbert Fuentes , Jacob Akanyirige and Cade Cowell.

My little nephew played with Akanyirige and Cowell on the Ballistics and although he said they were goood players, they weren't any better than any of our local D1 NCAA college players.

The jury is still out on all of them. For the time and money the team has invested in those players, they should be ready to start now but I have my doubts they will even make the bench any time soon....

Looking at Stanford’s NCAA national championships of 2015, 2016 and 2017, I’m sure the Quakes could have signed or drafted some players from those teams who weren’t picked by other teams.

25. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is always an "if" scenario. However in terms of data, we have made two picks who saw the field out of 14 picks over the last seven years since the homegrown rule came into effect. Neither panned out for more than a handful of games. Over the expansion Quakes era we have had 28 picks in the 3rd round or later. 2 became MLS players, 1 of which is an on and off starter. That 7% of our lower draft picks over thirteen years. It's not nothing, but I would not call it high yield.

This year we traded a homegrown player for an extra second round pick, and so drafted three higher pick. That seems to be where the team is putting its resources. We never sign three draft picks to the senior team, so that also leaves Ian the possibility of getting to develop a player or two. Unless the Quakes or Ian see someone to go after in the 3rd or 4th round there is no reason to just select someone. "If" scenarios are unprovable and usually rely on very rare situations, Wondo beating the odds as an 8th round pick being the ultimate example. I submit the data above and will let it speak for itself. I personally really enjoyed watching both Amarikwa and Jahn, so if there is a possibility I absolutely support going after that rare player. If not, then pass.