The Official 2019 US Men's Draft Game -- Picks Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 7, 2019.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geoff Cameron, cdm/cb, QPR (on loan from Stoke). Long been a favorite of mine. Still got it as he's been rated one of the better players in the Championship and QPR has a sparkling 7-2-1 record with him on the field. Still fairly rangy, with underrated ball skills, and flair. He can help you connect in a double-pivot. But still has the versatility to play a solid CB if need be. But being employed at his better position in cm right now like he usually should have with the national team.

I yield back to @Lookingforleftbacks for his next selection.

IndividualEleven and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 53rd overall pick, I will select Tim Parker, CB. He’s not a sexy pick, but like @Kevin8833 said, it’s time to take a CB. Parker can’t pass to save his life but he can tackle and break up an attack at a high level. He also has that grit and in your face attitude that I want out of my defense.

Sorry it took so long but Im on the left coast and usually work nights so you’re not going to see a lot of 7am picks from me.

My picks so far:
    1. McKennie
    2. Amon
    3. Bello
    4. Soto
    5. Parker

@Matthew Hartman is now on the clock

ChuckMe92 and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  3. Matthew Hartman

United States
    Jun 3, 2017
    With my next pick, 54th overall, I'm going to take Corey Baird. I think Baird can fill a Jordan Morris sized hole in the MNT for a few years until better options come along. That's good enough to make him a top 60 MNT player given actual Jordan Morris is 2 years older and coming off a major injury. Plus I don't think he has a dog.

[​IMG]

@truefan420 and @GiallorossiYank

My team:
    1) Brooks
    2) Dest
    3) Arriola
    4) Ebobisse
    5) Baird

4. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 55th pick, myself and @truefan420 would like to take ALEJANDRO BEDOYA

He can play out wide, or in the middle. We expect him to be a leader and provide usage on both sides of the ball. @AutoPenalti you are up!

truefan420 repped this.
  5. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My next pick, after another tough choice between a centerback or a defensive midfielder, I chose Alfredo Morales.

His sudden resurgence this week has put him in the shortlist for this round. He will definitely complement the midfield trio that I have at the moment.

Passes like these are crucial for my tactical game plan. I believe he can deliver.

https://streamja.com/32AE

@Eleven Bravo @IndividualEleven are up.

Maxvall and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Our 5th pick is Djordje Mihailovic. The talented 20-year-old overcame an acl injury to put together a strong finish to the 2018 season with 1 goal and 4 assists in a little over 6 games worth of league minutes. He is strong on both sides of the ball with 'defensive contribution' being a stand out stat for him. He showed enough promise to earn a January Camp call up. He will likely be a starter in CAM/CM for the Fire in the upcoming season.

[​IMG]
    @jond is next

ChuckMe92 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 5th pick I'm selecting Joe Corona of Xolos.

In need of some creativity in the center of the pitch I'm taking the generally underrated Liga MX and USNT player who has won two Liga MX titles and is coming off a season where he won both a Liga MX title with Club America and walked away with the CONCACAF Goal of the Year award.

@ShaftBrewer you're up!

8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my fifth pick, I'm going to take Charlie Kelman from Southend United. He just turned 17 and has been making a few first-team appearances of late off the bench for Southend. I'm sure we've all seen this goal:

The mentality to attempt something like this in your first league game is something that really entices me. His goal scoring record for youth teams is outstanding and I think in the summer he could be looking at a move to Premier League or Championship club at just 17. I originally planned on taking Sabbi as my striker, but I'm going to move him out to the wing to make space for Kelman.

Picks:

1. Yedlin
    2. Canouse
    3. Carter-Vickers
    4. Sabbi
    5. Kelman

@CreightonMCFCjoey you're up.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take Matt Hedges and Brooks Lennon, two established MLS defenders key to how I plan to line-up. Think Lennon will be a breakout star this year for RSL and begin to push Moore and Cannon for USMNT depth in 2019. Hedges along with Miazga gives me two composed CBs who are good in the air and both communicate with what's in front of them.

back to you @ShaftBrewer

10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take Mark McKenzie with my next pick. He's a CB that plays for the Philadelphia Union and the U20s. I really liked his game at CONCACAF Qualifying and he just earned his first call-up to the USMNT for January camp. This line-breaking pass is something that could be really useful in the future:
    1063592408338898944 is not a valid tweet id

@jond

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 6th pick I select Paxton Pomykal of FCD.

[​IMG]

19 yr old Paxton appears set to be one of the most likely candidates to have a breakout year in MLS with FCD's apparent turn towards youth.

A creative player who can play centrally or wide, a breakout season would put him in the full NT picture given the qualities he brings, his style of play and could see him be the next American MLS mid to take the Tyler Adams path of HG ----> 1st team -----> NT -----> top Euro league.

@Eleven Bravo & @IndividualEleven

Lookingforleftbacks and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our 6th pick, @IndividualEleven we are proud to announce that in Auston Trusty we Trust!

Honestly, I went back and forth between he and one other defender in the pool, but Trusty was an absolute stalwart last year as a teenager, which earned him a call up to the January Camp. We expect an even bigger year from him in 2019.

Here’s a video of him shutting down the attack.

...if that doesn’t workout:

@AutoPenalti you’re up!

zlebmada and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 6th pick, I select Chris Richards.
    He was sort of a out-of-nowhere guy that was loaned to Bayern Munich and boy did he impress during his short stint there. So much so that he was purchased from FC Dallas recently and may be part of Bayern’s plans this year. He’s very comfortable on the ball and I trust he can hold the line. He’s also done very well in the 2-0 win over Mexico that brought them the U-20 qualifying trophy. Definitely in the plans to participate in the World Cup and may eventually even improve his stock.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know our team isn’t full with trendy potential based players. We know it’s not sexy but we’re looking to solidify our midfield and thus we are selecting Dax McCarty. Dax will bring some bite and passing and round out our midfield core.

@Matthew Hartman youre up

16. Matthew Hartman

United States
    Jun 3, 2017
    I'm taking Gainluca Busio with my 6th pick. Mostly because my team is lacking a strong hair game.

[​IMG]
    My team:
    1) Brooks
    2) Dest
    3) Arriola
    4) Ebobisse
    5) Baird
    6) Busio

@Lookingforleftbacks

ChuckMe92 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 6th round pick, I’m going to select Andrew Carleton. Carleton’s creativity and vision are in the top tier in the pool and he has the talent to break out this season. I think he’s learned that he has to work hard if he wants to succeed, and so far, it looks like he’s taking to the work well.

My picks so far:
    1. McKennie
    2. Amon
    3. Bello
    4. Soto
    5. Parker
    6. Carleton

@thedukeofsoccer youre up

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6th rd: Jordan Morris, FW, Seattle.

Just signed a 1m dollar per year deal, so Sounders are very invested in him. He's been announced ready to play when training camp commences. Was invited to the national team's to observe to remain around the squad but declined.

Guilt by association in casting any blame toward him for the U.S.' demise. Actually on a heater before he got injured - 4 goals + an assist in last 5 starts, including some clutch contributions. Is a speed target and pressures the defense. In spite of his scoring declining in MLS, he actually improved in all other areas such as hold-up, combo play, and left foot.

Draft so far: 1. Tyler Adams, 2. Andrija Novakovich, 3. Fabian Johnson, 4. Walker Zimmerman, 5. Geoff Cameron, 6. Jordan Morris

@Kevin8833 is back on the clock.

19. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I am going back on the attack! With my next selection I select Miguel Ibarra. Ibarra and Roldan tied for the most assists out of Americans in the MLS last season. He is a consistent MLS starter, wears the number 10 shirt for Minnesota and had 7 goals and 7 assists last season. I feel he has gone unnoticed because of the team he is on but has real quality. Some of you will say it is too much attack and I am playing people out of position, but I know that a skillful and creative midfield works and I truly feel I have a ferocious attack. My plan is to play Ibarra inside with Nguyen as a double 8. I don't believe he or Nguyen are out of position, Ibarra has played wide in a 4 man midfield with defensive responsibility and has played inside as a 10, and has even been used as a RB on occassion. Nguyen has played wide, as a ten and as an 8, both have a good engine, are very technical and are proven producers at the professional level. So far my team looks like this:
    GK
    RB Opara LCB LB
    CDM
    Ibarra Nguyen
    Gall Weah Picault
    @ChuckMe92 up next

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to use my 6th pick on Justen Glad, 21-year-old center back from Real Salt Lake, still remaining on the board after the recent flurry of young CBs taken. He's one of the best young players in MLS. Reliable defender, mobile, good passer, good on set pieces, plenty of youth international experience, can also play fullback. He's currently in camp with the USMNT. This pick does carry a bit of risk in that he didn't play much for RSL in the playoffs, for whatever reason. But I'm willing to take him here based on the caliber of player I believe he is.

My picks so far:
    1. Pulisic
    2. Mendez
    3. C. Roldan
    4. Holmes
    5. Palmer-Brown
    6. Glad

@zlebmada gets the next two picks.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised everyone passed on Jordy Siebatcheu

22. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really passing, just none of us believe he’s going to play for the US

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if the USMNT called him up today, there's no doubt he would reject it, like he already did the previous time they tried.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could make the same argument with some of the unproven pics so far.

There is still one more blue chip player that nobody has taken that I think is going to be a great player.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @LouisZ two things; this thread is not for discussion, and please don’t name unnamed picks!

@TheFalseNine

zlebmada and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.