The Official 2019 US Men's Draft Game -- Picks Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My third selection is Seattle Sounders and USMNT midfielder Cristian Roldan, who has been among the highest-rated Americans in MLS of any position over the last couple seasons. He is fairly young at 23 and could well have further growth in his game, which is already decently well-rounded. He can capably fill a variety of roles in the middle and out wide, allowing me flexibility for future picks, though most likely he'd be a box-to-box CM in my lineup.

My picks so far:
    1. Pulisic
    2. Mendez
    3. C. Roldan

@Kevin8833 is on the clock.

2. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    With my third pick I complete my trident of death and take Romain Gall. Scored 13 goals last season in Sweden’s top flight, and a regular starter on probably the biggest club in Sweden with Malmo. I will now likely be going 4-3-3 with Gall on the right, Weah central, and Picault on the left. Defense be damned! Well just win 8-7 if need be! @thedukeofsoccer you’re up!

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 3rd round pick is Fabian Johnson, mf, BMG. He's clearly still roster-worthy for the USNT A-team, recently having turned 31. Just a forgotten man now in a transition period and when there's a question if he'll accept a return.

I yield back to @Lookingforleftbacks for his next selection.

4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 29th pick of the draft, I will select George Bello, mostly because I just want him on my team. I’ve been following the kid since he was about 13 and, well, I like left backs. Plus, I don’t think he will make it back to me.

He’s smooth and technical, and his defense improves everyday. He’s great at crossing and can turn an opposition attack into a counter goal effortlessly.

I’m pretty sure he’s going to be a major component in Atlanta’s squad this season and I’ll bet he’s the regular left back/wingback by the end of the season. He turns 17 Tuesday and NT call ups can’t be too far off in the future.

In case you forgot it happened, or if you missed it somehow, here is his first goal with Atl last season:

And check out the first highlight of this DA playoff game from ‘17:

@Matthew Hartman is now on the clock.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  5. Matthew Hartman

United States
    Jun 3, 2017
    My third pick, 30th overall, is Paul Arriola. Paul is a capable NT player at 3 different positions, but I plan on throwing him on the right wing and giving Dest the freedom to overlap. Arriola's best minutes in the 2018 MLS season, however, came in central midfield. So if I need to play him at the 8, no worries. Still just 23, I suspect he's going to be pretty involved in the MNT this year. [​IMG]

@truefan420 and @GiallorossiYank y'all are up.

IndividualEleven and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Can't figure out how to edit my post so here's the rationale. While an injury kept Ledezma out of the U20 Concacaf Championship and he didn't get a chance to showcase himself the way Alex Mendez did, the Phoenix, Ariz. native is every bit as full of potential as his U20 teammate. He's a natural footballer, with supreme technique, an ability to keep defenders off balance and better passing range than any other attacking US player. He's likely to beat a guy on the dribble, and just as likely to keep the ball and himself moving in attack. He's cool as ice in the attacking third, but he can also play as a holding midfielder orchestrating the attack if need be. Ledezma's game translates at a high level because of his precision and intelligence. He effortlessly made the jump from the academy to USL and was arguably the best player on the field in his 5 games with a good Real Monarchs side. He then looked utterly comfortable in friendlies with Jong PSV in the summer. PSV invested in him big time, burning a non-EU player salary on him. When he returns from injury, I suspect he will rapidly rise in the NT ranks and along with Mendez usher in a new era of technical attacking mids for the USA.

Aaron Long is the third-best centerback in the USMNT pool and will challenge Matt Miazga for the second spot over the next year. He's smart, calm, and reliable in a system with the Red Bulls that demands a lot of its centerbacks.

aaron long.jpeg

IndividualEleven and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are glad to select Dom Dwyer who we feel is a fantastic complement to Jozy up front. The two can play off of each other perfectly as they like to operate in different spaces.

@AutoPenalti you’re up

8. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After careful consideration and lots of “drinking”, I chose Michael Bradley, former captain and leader of the USMNT before the WCQ fiasco. I believe he will still be in Egg Beerholder’s plans for the GC and he might very well be an essential part of the group. With his experience, it will be very much needed with a young squad.

@Eleven Bravo and @IndividualEleven is up.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For our third pick, we are proud to announce....

Wil Trapp

I’m sort of surprised he fell this far, as we were considering him or Zardes in the second round.

With Trapp, we have a player who will anchor our team and also provide the leadership that we need. Note that he served as the captain for most of 2018, and with Berhalter in charge, he’s sure to get more minutes in 2019.

@jond you’re up.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 3rd pick is Haji Wright of Schalke.

Officially promoted to Schalke's 1st team earlier today and scored his debut Bund goal a matter of weeks ago.

Will likely be part of the next wave of younger players in our NT and has a chance to stake claim to being a regular Schalke 1st teamer.

@ShaftBrewer yo yo yo

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take Cameron Carter-Vickers. While, he hasn't been doing the best in terms of playing time on his loan this year, I still liked what I saw from him in international friendlies. I think he can anchor my backline and I will pray that his mobility issues sort themselves out.

@CreightonMCFCjoey

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 CreightonMCFCjoey, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    I'm up, I'm taking the Schalke's Nick Taitague and Sebastien Lletget of the Galaxy. I'll post reasons tonight

@ShaftBrewer

13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be taking my striker now. I will take Emmanuel Sabbi from Hobro.

@jond

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 4th pick is Kenny Saief of Anderlecht.

[​IMG]

Here's to hoping he puts his injury woes behind him going forward in 2019.

Skillful left sided attacker who can contribute either wide or pinched in. Quality talent for our player pool.

@Eleven Bravo & @IndividualEleven your turn.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Our 4th pic is TFC's Marco Delgado. He was a key member of the 2017 TFC team, arguably the best in MLS history. He has had to fight off high-priced acquisitions by the team with the league's highest payroll. He was a key member of TFC's run to the CCL finals where they lost in the penalty shootout.

He boasts an array of statistically measured strengths(in MLS play):
    Defensive contribution::::Very Strong
    Holding on to the ball::::::Strong
    Passing::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Strong
    Blocking the ball:::::::::::::::Strong
    Tackling:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Strong
    Ball interception:::::::::::::::Strong

He was solid in 2 of his 3 National Team starts. Hardly anyone was good in the Italy match.

[​IMG]

@AutoPenalti is next.

zlebmada, Eleven Bravo and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zlebmada and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was really torn on who to go with here... after careful consideration we’re going with mister reliable. Matt Besler. He’ll be our Captain. Hes not the sexy pick but he’s still absolutely one of the best centerbacks we have. No he won’t see much PT with the Nats at 31 but if we played in a must win knock out game tomorrow... he’s likely the only CB on our roster that no one would have an issue with it in the 11. He rarely makes a mistake and makes those around him better.

@Matthew Hartman youre up

AutoPenalti and zlebmada repped this.
  18. Matthew Hartman

United States
    Jun 3, 2017
    ChuckMe92 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] With my 4th round pick, I’m going to select Sebastian Soto. This isn’t exactly what I had planned but my other 3 targets were all taken. I could go with a safer pick, but I’m going with the high upside of Soto. Already training with Hannover’s first team, he likely will make his first team debut this spring and could be yet another American to burst onto the scene. At least I hope he is since I’m reaching for him.

@thedukeofsoccer is up

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4th rd: Walker Zimmerman, CB, LAFC.

Was the 2nd highest rated American in MLS last yr per WS. Has performed solidly for the national team in a few opportunities, most recently starting at Italy. Wasn't responsible for any goals conceded. Aware, intense, and physically talented defender.

Could have moved to Europe this offseason, possessing an offer from Trabzonspor, but he declined to sign for a TAM deal with LAFC. There was interest from clubs across top 5 leagues, but presumably none offered yet, with him lacking an EU passport and not being a regular national teamer. Still could happen considering his relative youth (25), position as cb, and with a fresh start under the new NT manager.

I yield the floor back to @Kevin8833 for his next selection.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I will continue to stock up on attacking players and select Lee Nguyen. A proven producer highly technical, played as a 10 two seasons ago with New England with success and had success playing deeper this past season with LAFC. I can play him as either a 10 or an 8, along with my front three of Gall, Picault, and Weah we will be a real attacking force, hopefully I can find a way to patch together a competent defense! @ChuckMe92 is now on the clock

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 4th selection, I select Duane Holmes of Derby County. He has emerged as the best-performing player for an upper-table EFL Championship side. He can play either wing, AM, and CM. I'm not entirely sure what position I'll slot him in yet, but am initially leaning LW.

To me, the fact that he hasn't yet been with the US setup shouldn't really matter. He is fairly young, he clearly appears to have a bright future, he has no chance with England, and he wants to play for the US anyway and a callup may be coming soon. Furthermore, multiple players taken in this draft (Besler, Johnson, Nguyen) will quite possibly never get another MNT callup -- and to me those are still entirely legitimate picks of quality players. I would say that players in this draft, as long as they are eligible, should be judged on their quality rather than if they are handed an MNT callup. Matt Besler is a good pick for this draft and so is Duane Holmes.

My picks so far.
    1. Pulisic
    2. Mendez
    3. C. Roldan
    4. Holmes

@zlebmada gets the next two picks.

23. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Sorry to get this over to you so late, @ChuckMe92, but like I said weekends are havoc in the Belz house.

With my 4th pick I take Graham Zusi, the right back for Sporting KC. He's fallen out of favor with the USMNT since World Cup qualifying failure, but statistically, he remains the best right back in MLS. He's smart, committed, technical and proven. He may be in the sunset of his career but for 2019 he'll be solid. He'll also keep another promising American right back (J.L.) on the bench or playing left back.

Graham-Zusi-USMNT-620x385.jpg

With my 5th pick I take Chris Durkin, the holding midfielder for DC United. Durkin may end up being a bit player for DC in 2019, but he's a proven MLS professional at age 18, his defending is improving, his upside is huge, he's a cerebral student of the game, and he played a key role in late season matches for a team desperately trying, and ultimately succeeding, to qualify for the playoffs. Crucially, Durkin is one of the few ball-playing deep-lying midfielders in the US pool (Bradley, Trapp and maaaybe McKennie are the others). Durkin's an elegant passer, who will connect with Ledezma and Sargent through the spine of my formation, and do enough defensively to make up for his lack of pace.

Chris Durkin - D.C. United - July 14, 2018.jpg

My picks so far.

1. Josh Sargent
    2. Richie Ledezma
    3. Aaron Long
    4. Graham Zusi
    5. Chris Durkin

You're up @ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem at all Adam! Such is life for a superhero like you. And I believe you technically get 16 hours to make your consecutive picks if need be.

My fifth selection goes to Erik Palmer-Brown of NAC Breda on loan from Manchester City. Earlier, after a decent loan stint at Kortrijk in Belgium, he received his first two MNT caps and showed fairly well including a defensive stop in the 91st minute against Ousmane Dembele to help preserve the draw against France. Unfortunately his playing time in the Eredivisie has been inconsistent at best.

What convinced me to choose EPB here is that he doesn't merely play CB. He can also competently play defensive midfield, perhaps better than competently. EPB has shown good athleticism, mobility, and ball skills for a CB when with USYNTs. Then at the 2017 CONCACAF U20 Championship, he was called upon to play DM for the US, and was awarded the tournament's Golden Ball playing the position. He scored the only goal in the win against Mexico. At the U20 World Cup, he went back to playing CB and was named to the best XI of the tournament by multiple publications. I think he makes for a fairly strong #6 in my lineup.

In the fifth round, obtaining a defensive midfielder/central defender hybrid with his USYNT accolades and talent is decent value. I hope he gets more playing time in the second half and gets in prime contention for the Olympic qualifying squad. (Are you awake for that, USSF?) He is still just age 21 and at least to me has plenty of potential. Here's a sample of his play this season in the Eredivisie, against Ajax: https://streamable.com/rcwg3

Selections so far.
    1. Pulisic
    2. Mendez
    3. C. Roldan
    4. Holmes
    5. Palmer-Brown

@Kevin8833 you're up.

zlebmada repped this.
  25. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I figure it’s time I pick a defender so I’ll take Ike Opara a proven and experienced cb with great athleticism to help hold things down at the back @thedukeofsoccer you're up