The official 2019 superdraft thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Oct 15, 2018.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it last year that the draft would be irrelevant to all save for the top 2-3 teams....... I was hoping not to be included in that group butttttt here we are......

Stupid Cincinnati entering the league next year........ would have liked Manny Perez

Beerking repped this.
  2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Yup, screwed by Garber again. Still, second pick could produce a keeper as long as jesse isn' t making the selection.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the league supposed to do, not move forward with their expansion plans that have been in the works for years, just because the Quakes are so terrible in 2018?

hc897, bsman, SeaJayBee and 1 other person repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im starting to think if Cincinnati is the mood to play ball with a trade to move up for Manny Perez, we take it to the bank. There could be a surprise combine name that jumps to the top of the pile, but in the event that doesnt happen we would need to move up for Perez. I wonder if a combination of swapping our firsts, our second rounder this year, our second rounder next year, a player and/or some of that fancy allocation money we have been holding over. We are in position to move up for the first overall player and not have to trade the farm. In fact, throwing in a couple players sweetens the pot for an expansion team. Someone like Godoy or Erikson would be splendid to part with.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The following is an exhaustive list of players we should protect for the 2019 expansion draft:

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for the meticulous attention to detail and exhaustive time you surely put into that

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should pretend that we forgot to protect Magnus and beg Cincy not to select him... maybe they've been too busy with USL to watch MLS games?

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Maybe part of the Alashe trade was that they had to take him.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing we didn't move up in the 2016 draft to get Brandon Vincent:
    1057298802871320576 is not a valid tweet id

Although at least that would have meant no Andrew Tarbell...

We've drafted like half a dozen Stanford guys in recent years... they may be one of the best college soccer teams but it's probably wise to stay away from Stanford grads who might be able to make more money NOT playing professional soccer....

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Any American college athlete who is interested in money over anything else would not choose to become a pro soccer player in the US unless they are dead from the neck up. If they choose to play professionally, it's because of their love for the game, period.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Tommy Thompson be making $170k at age 23 (and he's been a pro since 19, no question he made FAR more than most kids from age 19-22 ) if he didn't play professional soccer? Yueill almost $200k. Lima, Calvillo, JTM, all make $100-130k or so. Aside from the guys in the final few roster spots making $55k, let's not act like these young kids in MLS are still making what their predecessors did a decade ago. And those numbers are pretty standard throughout the league, with kids in their late teens and early 20s making $100-200k. The league minimum for the primary roster spots is $80k at this point so they can't be making much less. And most kids don't come out of college with $80k jobs. Kids from the very top schools like Stanford, on the other hand...

12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the key phrase was "money over anything else". Yes, young players drafted into MLS do better than they did a decade ago, but not that many collegiate players get drafted, and the window to make that kind of money can be very short for these guys, so there are trade-offs. You put yourself out of the mainstream workforce for several years, but you make a better salary in that time. If you manage your money well and have other skills, you can do fine, maybe even a bit better than the average person, but you have to think of your earning power over the length of your working life, not just a few years of it.

Let's not pretend that these guys are getting rich off of this. No MLS draftee is getting millions of dollars in signing bonuses or anything close to it. I think it would definitely be a stretch to think that any college soccer player goes into the draft thinking they are going to be rich. I think they do it because they want to keep playing.

SeaJayBee, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  13. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    It seems like the 'big money' young players are all specifically NOT ones that went through the draft, but instead came out early. Yuell, for instance, would be making nowhere near $200 k if he got drafted today. MLS knows they don't have to pay them that much.

14. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    There aren't many 'surprises' in the combine anymore. Sure, all the soccer writers are there and need to hype a guy or two. But best case, for the clubs they move from 'who the hell is that?' to a top 30 pick or 'he looks better than I thought, let's move him up' from a top 50 pick to a top 20 pick.

No one goes from unknown to top 10.

15. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Did some scouting all the way over on the BS College forum. Looks like we have a good left back candidate. Playing on a good defense and scoring goals at the same time.

Credit to Sandon Mibut:

"Andrew Gutman, a Sr. left back for Indiana, with 8 goals and 5 assists in 13 games and helping a defense post a 0.60 goals allowed average. Indiana is 1 in the RPI and their strength of schedule is 4. He had an assist against 2. Wake Forest, a goal and an assist vs. 56. Dartmouth, a goal against 12. Connecticut, a goal against 46. VCU, 2 goals against 54. Wisconsin and 2 goals against 17. Maryland"

Beerking repped this.
  16. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't get my hopes up, he's eligible for a HG contract with Chicago and incidentally they need a new LB.

17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I guess we file that under "to good to be true". Thanks, BinB. Now I don't have to get my hopes up.

18. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This pick is all about getting a Generation Adidas player with long term upsides who we can keep off of the salary cap for a few years. I'll start paying attention when the GA list is published.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    These projections are always almost completely inaccurate, so I'm not holding my breath.

Beerking repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    You're right, the above guy couldn't predict the sun rising tomorrow...LOL :ROFLMAO:

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone going to see Stanford -Akron game this week?

No.# 9 Stanford vs. Akron at Stanford, California 6:00 PM PST November 30

@Laird Q. Cagan Stadium

[​IMG]

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thinking about it. Game day decision.

falvo repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I may get out early. It may be good to see which talent is on both teams. I’m pretty sure some of the Quakes assistants will be there.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    round 2 id be all fine with it, our top 2 is too valuable. and yeah, that mock is pure bootie trash.