The Official 2018 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erik, who started Erik's deli is a graduate of UC Santa Cruz. I love eating at Erik's, I've been a fan since the late 80's.

But hey, no articles on how crappy we are today? No more pundits calling for Mikael or Jesse's heads? There are two or three Quakes blogs, but they don't update very often, because we really, really suck.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Lima came to the Erik's in Campbell on Bascom when my son was working.

Attached Files:

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dig Erik's Deli, but I want to hear some actual news about our team. We barely even acknowledged that we traded Fatai to Cinny FC and then not until after they announced it.

Rumors at least of an intra MLS trade? Some discussion about what we're actually doing to get our sinking ship of state off the rocks? Anything? New coach? New GM? Why do we suck so badly?

Sorry, this isn't cutting it for me. I'm angry and depressed. (I know, my natural state, right?)

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

Quakes05 repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Same as it ever was. :)

Talking-Heads-Once-in-a-Lifetime.jpg

bsman, Quakes05, markmcf8 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    btw, and this is completely off topic, but he will be performing at our sweet little venue (City National Civic) downtown, in a couple of weeks. his two shows at the Fox in Oakland are sold out but it looks like tix are still available for his SJ show. I saw him earlier this year in Atlanta and would say it's not to be missed if you're a Talking Heads fan.

TyffaneeSue and don gagliardi repped this.
  8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks for the heads up. Same night as the Toronto game though...tough choice

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wine & Dine.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...seventh-annual-wine-and-dine-event-october-19

I emailed the Quakes to say I will not attend this year, that I thought the $250 ticket price is too high for me. Don G. and I sat at the same table for the last couple of events. Last time with Kip Colvey :)) and before that with Andres Imperiale.:cool:

I added that I believe the Quakes should have more affordable events where all fans (or, at least, STH) can have all the players present like the Wine & Dine has, so the fans can mix, eat, and socialize with the players. I thought this fan-bonding was especially important in a bad year like this one.

TyffaneeSue and SeaJayBee repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Total coincidence, I swear.

Clearly Ned and I were not among the high-rollers who rated a table with Wondo or Bingham; instead, we were at the overflow table for the non-cool kids. But, as I told Kip, he lucked out by sitting with the hardcore fans. Gave him one of Gary Singh's Quakes history books before the evening was over. :)

TyffaneeSue and NedZ repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fun time, if somewhat sparsely attended. Unlimited free Lagunitas. Skybox makes for a nice cocktail party. And I was able to acquire several choice items for the Soccer Legacy Collection at History San Jose, including Nick Lima's retro red training kit from the DC United throwback match, Shea Salinas' Cali Clasico kit from Stanford, and a Vako white alternate game-worn kit.

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I have to give a shout out to Erik's for doing cross-promotions with the Quakes when they are going so bad. Will make it a point of grabbing a sandwich or two there.

tenfourteen, Quakes05 and NedZ repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't remember the cost last year, but I noticed the pricetag (high) plus the location. Traveling through the worst of rush hour traffic on a Friday night -- approximately two hours to make that 25-mile journey.

The nonprofits I've worked with typically keep prices nominal, like $75, and then fundraise at the event. I realize $75 is still expensive for many people, but not stratospheric.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #167 JazzyJ, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    The title of the article is very telling in its north bay elitism. They acknowledge the Quakes and mention their "territorial rights" to the Bay Area, but seem to act as if San Jose is not in the Bay Area.

"It’s unlikely the Bay Area will get an MLS team in the near future, as one of the aforementioned teams would likely have to emerge with a suitable venue and get league approval."

o_O

Goodsport and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yup. More Fake News.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then the author turns around and claims (bold added):

"The Bay Area also attracts huge turnouts for the International Champions Cup, an annual summer U.S. tournament where top European clubs compete in exhibition matches around the country. Since 2014, an average of 56,500 fans have attended the yearly ICC game played at either Levi’s Stadium or California Memorial Stadium."

So does he consider the South Bay part of the Bay Area or not? o_O indeed!

And on top of all that, he misspelled John Fisher's last name. :rolleyes:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #171 NedZ, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Ken Bensinger going to be in Berkeley soon to present his new book, Red Card. Red Card tells the inside story of the FIFA criminal case, and is kind of a legal thriller wrapped in the wild history of modern soccer. In addition to plenty of soccer, it has wild political angles as well.

The upcoming reading is at 7:00 on August 16 at Books Inc. in Berkeley. Here's the event info: https://www.booksinc.net/event /ken-bensinger-books-inc-berke ley

Ken is also looking for proper pub to gather at after the reading for a few pints with local soccer fans, so if you attend you can give him your suggestions.

don gagliardi repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What, we don't have bookstores in San Jose?

Oh wait. Never mind.

23. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I mentioned the appearance to Matt Doyle of MLS.com, and he sent me this endorsement of Ken's book:

"Hey Ned, thanks for reaching out. I actually moved back to NYC in February, so I won't be around for Ken's reading.

My wife had him on her podcast last month, btw. He did really great work with this book – it's a must-read."

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Time to create ……

The Official 2019 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread!

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The total lack of any substantive news from the team regarding the actual ********ing soccer that the whole damn thing is supposed to be about is somewhat depressing to me. I mean, they're trying to prevent the specter of a woefully underpopulated stadium next year due to an unorganized, but very tangible boycott by a not-insignificant proportion of STH, who represent the most passionate fans and what do we get? Theme nights and wine and dine? I don't know if it's hubris or resignation at a corporate level, but it sure seems like an organization that is rudderless, and to me that is 100% on the invisible man, or as he is otherwise known, Tom Fox...

markmcf8 repped this.