The Official 2017 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I'm a fan of her old high school teammate Aly Wagner as well. She's more blunt and opinionated , but I like that. She was highly critical of Klinsmann during qualifying and her analysis was correct.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes her extra special, and extra endearing to us crazed fans. But it is her articulateness and intelligence and perceptiveness that makes her great, irrespective of where she was born and raised. :thumbsup:

Go Danielle!!
    Go Quakes!!

- Mark

tenfourteen repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    http://www.sjearthquakes.com/hall-of-fame-week
    Impressive!

DotMPP repped this.
  4. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultan and markmcf8 repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    There is a surprisingly long interview with Tommy and Nick Lima on Extra Time radio that was done while they were in NY. I'm used to hearing just a few questions and that's it on these kinds of things, but this one just went on and on. By far the most I've heard from Tommy in an interview: his experiences coming to the team as a teenager, how he feels about the team and why he thinks it's better, who his favorite players are, how he feels about his infamous goal drought, etc. Plenty from Nick Lima as well. It's at the end of the Extra Time segment I believe.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/04/03/extratime-radio-all-best-and-worst-week-5-mls-ccl-final

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let me guess: Fatai is Tommy's best friend on the team?

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Don't think he said that but Fatai did make a cameo at the end. TT talked about rooming with Khari and Francis his first year as he was underscoring the change in coming from a college program to the pros and the age difference, etc.

I think Fatai was making fun of how Tommy eats and Tommy was explaining how he had to fight for his food, with 2 bros and one sister. Then he got into how Tanner would steal all of the marshmallows out of the Lucky Charms. As I said, it was a long interview.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/07/san-jose-knocked-out-of-hosting-rugby-world-cup-sevens/

Note that this was for 2018.

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Craft beer and soccer are both hipster attractions. So it makes a lot of sense, although frankly the price point is simply too high: 4x4 ounces equals a pint for $15.

Funny, on the Atlanta United telecast over the weekend, the announcers said that for the season opener they seriously underestimated the beer consumption of the crowd. Obviously, they don't really understand their audience.

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And if you need an excuse to get to Avaya early, this just posted:

Join us at the Quakes Team Store powered by Gyft on Friday for another Equipment Sale! The team's used gear will be on sale on a first-come, first-served basis and there are always some gems to be found! You never know, you just may end up with a Wondo warmup jacket.

A portion of the proceeds will benefit The Grateful Garment Project. Swing by and take home some authentic Quakes gear for a great cause!

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Stat geek? Present.

I think what the data tells us is that the Quakes win over Minnesota was deserved. They had a significantly higher xG. But then anyone who watched that game with an impartial view would say the same.

As for the Quakes xG vs. G for the year, they are still lagging, goals to xG. That means that either 1) they have had bad "luck" finishing and their results should have been a little better than they were, and we might expect a correction coming, or 2) they are a poor finishing team (which they were last year as well). Or some combination. It is probably a combination but I think that they will wind up being a better finishing team this year because they have better technical players taking the shots (Urena, Hoesen, Hyka vs. say Salinas and Quincy). Also Dawkins had a terrible year finishing last year, and I think that was a bit of an aberration.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Given that he currently has six appearances (five games started) and 399 minutes (i.e. he has played 71% of possible minutes in those six games) and has zero goals or assists, I have to question your assertion that last year was an aberration. Rather, it is highly likely that 2012 was the aberration...

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I was talking about finishing "expected goals", not goals in general. IOW it is a measure of finishing ability, not ability to score. Yes, it is an issue that it seems that he is hardly even getting "expected goals", but I don't remember any significantly botched finishes from Dawkins this year. He is not even really getting himself into positions to botch chances :-(. TT has more shots than Dawkins this year and 5 to 1 SOG in just over half the minutes as Dawkins.

But in general I would say that we just don't have enough data in 2017 yet to determine if we'll see a repeat of 2016 in terms of Dawkins finishing, or will it be more like 2011 / 12.

bsman repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We are in violent agreement. I think one of the problems with his play so far has been his seeming inability to 1) get into dangerous positions, and 2) take shots from those. I have seen several examples this season so far where he has cut inside with the ball and carried it along the top of the box but been unable to find an opening to shoot. I don't know if it's lack of speed or lack of confidence, but something seems to be missing. Hopefully, he'll be able to find whatever it is and rectify it, because if not that's an awful lot of cap-space wasted...

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes participating in the summer reading program at San Jose Public Library branches:
    https://www.sjpl.org/sjearthquakes

Couple notes:

I'm told that Tommy Thompson will be reading at the June 27 event and the first 100 people will receive free tickets to the Quakes vs. Sounders Open Cup match the following evening.

Also, I recognize my neighborhood Joyce Ellington Branch library in the picture of Q and Andrew Tarbell in the web link. Previous Quakes who've visited have included Wade Barrett, Chris Leitch, JJ Koval, and coach Frank Yallop.

tenfourteen repped this.
  19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wana hear pout pout fish from this face:

[​IMG]

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's come a long way. I remember when he was Lieutenant Allocation Money.

xbhaskarx, bobby_guzman, DotMPP and 2 others repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL, I hear he can come in and contribute right away. Seriously, how can Jesse (no matter how many languages he speaks) understand any of this stuff?

23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club: