The Official 2017 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are the guy that's not quite dead yet.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. lazlo325

lazlo325 Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Monterey
    Random question: why the away jersey at the GM press conference? Are the Quakes announcing a new jersey ahead of the 2017 season?

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was told late last season by someone in FO, cannot recall who, that the Quakes will be having a new home kit for 2017. So, they probably didn't want to unveil it early.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    not sure about FC Lurzen or the Albanian national team, 17 goals in 171 appearances for club, 2 goals in 38 appearances for country...I guess we'll see.

but that FieldWiz sports bra is hilarious.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Protagonist, eh? Is that to balance out Cummings, who appears to be the team antagonist?

I've watched some highlights of him - mainly for Albania. He plays similar to Salinas - fast, and cuts in from the left side, and can cross or shoot with either foot. Has a good cut back move that seems to open up space for him from time to time. Don't see Salinas do that much - he is more direct and doesn't do rapid change of direction so much - just tries to beat people with speed. Presumably he'd be a Salinas upgrade.

9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wide mid...would be good to know the assist rate. Goal rate is about 2x (2x as frequent as) Salinas's, but I don't know how many minutes he's playing per appearance.

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Where is the FieldWiz bra?

"The contract also includes bonuses, a home and a car, it added."

A house? That's an Innocent-sized perk around here.

12. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hopefully the upgrade is vision, decision making and timely accurate passing...an intuitive player.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm guessing that they're renting a house for him? So yeah, can't see them buying him a house in the bay area.

Anyone gettin' hyphy for hyka?

tenfourteen repped this.
  14. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Around here, for many people, a home and a car are the same thing.

The Messi of Albania. Sounds good. If he's not better than Salinas or Djalo, than the Swiss League must really be bad. I'd be happy with someone approaching peak Marvin Chavez.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I have given up on the foibles of trying to make any conclusions from highlight videos. You can't gauge frequency of much of anything. So I couldn't say if he has better decision making, more accurate passes, etc. He has made some good decisions, and some accurate passes, and you can see that he is useful with either foot, and you can see that he has good pace. And similarly, you could create a Salinas highlight video and cherry pick the times he made good decisions or accurate passes.

One thing that did stand out to me, as I said, is that he has a stop / change of direction move that sometimes buys him space, and that is a move that I don't see Salinas making.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    the video, down the page you linked to, takes a minute to load.

just once I'd like them to sign someone that would blow us all away and signal a new era.

17. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your wait is over....haha.

18. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What's the injury report? 3 years? I hope the Fioranelli had some input because he'll be saddled with that signing for a good bit.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks, for some reason the video started halfway through when I watched it the first time so I missed the disrobing.

Hard to tell much from a few seconds of video. How many seasons did it take for him to score a goal?

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    This is a more lengthy video apparently from Hyka's work with Albania. He's like Salinas....with a brain (no, I don't mean that :) ). For all we know he is no better than Salinas. Can't really tell from highlight videos. He is certainly capable of doing some good things.

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just viewed the clip...a little perplexing. Imo his game is very similar to Tommy's...more direct and a little quicker...but the same style...and perhaps the same role...flank cut in mid. He's very slight...Doesn't appear to have a two way game. This is going to be interesting...I don't see this guy and Tommy on the field at the same time....probably bad news for Tommy's minutes.

tenfourteen and bobby_guzman repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I actually think he is more of a direct analog to Salinas. For one, appears to prefer the left side. For two, he tends to use his speed, more like Salinas and less like Tommy. Finally, if Salinas is going to be in a sub role, he might compete for that as well, because if he tends to not play much defense, he would be a guy you play when you need a goal and you're willing to take more of a chance on defense.

That said, any wide mid is going to be more competition for everybody. If he starts at left mid, where does that leave Dawkins, for example? And if they get A. Quintero back, it really leads to quite a logjam at outside mid.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom is our coach ...

I hope that Hyka is great.We obviously need more attacking quality out of the midfield. My big worry of course is that we will still play with two holding mids, neither of whom are very offensive.

- Mark

Childs Play repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States