The Official 2017 Korea NT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    What's wrong about YKH and LKH? YKH gets critizised for his old appearences about 10 years ago, but meanwhile he has become one of the best K League players, especially in assisting. I am not saying I want him to start, but as a backup member, why not? Still better to have a classic winger than no one. Also definitely better than Stielike's choice (that Hwang something who went to Yanbian).
    And LKH is a useful, versatile and experienced player, too. And I dont know why you say they have shown nothing in terms of leadership.
    You say ut yourself. We dont have the PJSs and LYPs anymore.
    Btw, I also would've preferred PCY over LDG or Wookie, just to say.
    Also dont forget that 3 players are going to be sent home. Maybe some of the oldies could be also sent home anyway.
    And regarding CCS, I think as a RWB he's decent.

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Dear Dong Guo,

I've been your biggest fan since 98. I vividly remember you stepping on the pitch against the Dutch in 98 and it gave me a hard-on. The thought of us having a prospect with the experience against the world's best at the age of 18 purified my soul. This was an age of darkness in Korean football as I honestly doubt that Korean players even watched Denis Bergkamp play, let alone execute tactical analysis of the Dutch. But you were my hope and I supported you, despite your fck ups, through and through.

2006 was a god-send - it was probably the only year you were in form, since the Sydney olympic qualifiers. These were the days when you were not Dong-guo but you were Dong-gook. These were your glory days and despite your attention-whoring tendencies, evidenced by your platinum hair, you were the undisputed heir to Hwang 18. But the misfortunes speak for themselves, doesn't it.

Jumen was never a #9. You were. It probably hurt you that he was overall, the better player. If we had squad depth, Jumen would've been a #10 but even as a 10, he was the better at being a 9 that you were. You should've just sucked it up because you were hitting your 30's anyway. But despite the public hatred for you, Huh Jung-moo (and myself) supported you. And then you did that water tornado shit. That's when you became Dong Guo forever.

Today, you're not even half the player you were in 2010. In the past 7 years, the public seemed to have come to terms with you because of your kids. But fck your kids. You have never come to terms with me. But I decided to move on and now you're back. If you are successful under Shin, I will be happy for you. But something tells me that you won't be. And that's because you are a dong guo.

3. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    How the hell is bringing LDG a "symbolic message"? When it comes to KNT, he's a nobody back then and he's even a bigger nobody now. He brings nothing of value for this team. He doesn't bring experience because post 2010 LDG has failed time after time, and I doubt he will bring no emotional support in the dressing room because he was never a figurehead for KNT. Players probably think he's just some reality tv star lol.
    LDG is just another old washed up reject with a huge ego. He's the Paulie Malignaggi of KNT.
    Also this applies to Yeom Kihun to lesser extent. Just another old K-league dude that won't add much value. Even still he's better than LDG thanks to his age.
    Also I said I would rather take YDH instead of LDG but tbf I wouldn't pick neither of them.

Edit: I also complained about this during the u20 world cup but STY needs to realize that if we're going to play 5 in the back then we at least need wingbacks that are fast. CCS is not a fast and he's another old K-leaguer.

Deleted Users and Chingoo repped this.
  4. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #1379 takeuchi, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

I didn't say anything about Lee KH. His selection.. by Shin TY & by Uli in the previous round made sense to me since at least he still has a good motor/workrate.

Yeom KH? The guy has 51 caps. 4 goals and about 3 assist. Experience? The other guys.. from Koo JC, Ki SY and etc have more international experience w/ success. Yeom on the other hand? Hardly anything of note.... & again, what "leadership" does he bring? He was worthless as a veteran "leader" in Jan 2014 camp ... he was worthless in 2015 vs Myanmar and so forth. The old vets Shin TY called up doesn't provide more international "experience" or "leadership" compared to current core of "leaders". Btw, Yeom KH plays centrally in 2 FW system in Suwon now. What exactly does he bring to the table? If you wanted the assist leader, Yun IR of FC Seoul makes more sense this season as midfield/winger.

Look, this roster is full of guys you all criticized & bitched in the past. Heck, some of you even noted.. once Shin TY was hired (or to advocate for his hire), he wouldn't call up guys like "Jang HS" or "defenders from China". Guess what he did... he brought back Chinese defenders (Kim KH & Kim JY) who were forgotten & rejects under multiple KNT managers (not just Uli) & called up Jang HS (even when his scouts... I believe it was Cha DR, didn't even get to see him live in games he attended to scout him live).

On Choi CS .. no, I don't care what he has done at Jeonbuk. For KNT, his performance have been worse than Kim CS, Jang HS, Lee Yong and so forth.

edit - the roster is insanely unbalanced too. full of central players with absolutely no width & pace.

edit #2 - don't have a clue about Shin TYs history as K League manager but as U20, Olympics, KNT assistant & tempt manager.. I honestly can't think of when he took "risks", unless if you call constantly tinkering w/ formation & hope guys that don't even fit the formation/tactic is a "risk". on roster call ups ... he has been nothing but safe & opted for "experience".

5. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Here we go again.....

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Ok I'm going to go over the players.
    Limited playing time:
    Kim Keehee
    Kim Juyoung
    Jang Hyunsoo
    Jung Wooyoung
    Kwon Kyungwon
    Lee Donggook.
    Just came back from injury/or still injured:
    Kim Young Gwon
    Ki Seungyong
    Koo Jacheol
    Son Heungmin
    30+:
    Kim Jinhyeon (He's a gk).
    Choi Chulsoon
    Lee Keunho
    Yeom Kihun
    Lee Donggook*.

I'm not saying that some of these players shouldn't be called up nor that the players that aren't mentioned should. I'm just using this information because I question the fitness of the overall team...

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I can almost understand calling up KSY. There's a chance he may recover. If not, he will lead the squad.

I can understand including LKH. We need the width and a foil to SHM. He still is a joon-dong killer historically.

But LDG? He's personally given up at this point and gone the celebrity route. WTF is STY doing? He's better off calling up LSW than LDG.

8. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    KSY and LKH I understand. I don't mind having LKH in the squad.

About LDG. The thing is I don't think he has given up. He has a big ego and few years ago he talked about playing for KNT again even though most of us thought he was done.

I actually wouldn't have mind including LSW and PSH but they have their own problems to figure out atm.

9. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #1384 aeh1991, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    I think these players could be considered as fit (minus SHM and maybe KJC)

And I've never defended or thought LDG call up is a good idea. It's just that I don't care if he gets used or not. I think he could be at least mentally fit for such an important game. Unfortunately, he's not physically good enough at this level, I suppose.

Edit: So what I agree on is that LDG won't be useful at this level anymore, CCS has shown that he is not the best option for RB and there are still too many CSL players here. But we cannot change the fact that there are not many other options, esp. in CB position. LJS is not better than anyone above, JSH and KMH could've been options but that's it. And STY seems to consider JHS as CDM?? That's also weird. But selecting between JHS, JWY or HKY is like selecting between rotten apple and rotten pear.

10. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    For SHM and KJC I never said they shouldn't be called up, but they won't be in max fitness which can be an issue for our star players we rely on.
    For the Chinese players they need to be starting week in and week out considering the standard of CSL. That's obviously hard because of the new rule.
    For LKH, I don't have a problem with him being called up. He just fits the 30+ players so I had to mention him.

Overall, KNT had problems with fitness and pace for a long time. They don't hustle enough maybe due to lack of gas tank etc. Now the team STY just selected just take the cake. A lot of these players are old, not playing enough and just coming back from injury. That's my biggest problem.

Also, I wouldn't start SHM and HHC if we're playing 3-5-2. Both these guys need a playmaker that can create space and chances. I don't think we have a player that can do that constantly throughout the game. So I'll pick SHM and KCH on top, and maybe KBK or NTH in the hole. NTH however has been very uninspiring in the last qualifier matches.

11. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    lol i wanna see who you guys want to have in the squad...

I'd rather see PJY over LDG anyday...

aeh1991 and nmssis repped this.
  12. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    the last few times park chuyoung got called up (pre world cup, world cup & pre asian cup) he looked like he couldnt give two shits about how he played. story hasnt been too different with his tenure in fc seoul. hes always been that guy who preferred to do just enough and never give 110% like the rest of em. hes really the last player korea needs right now. the next two matches (and possibly more if korea finishes third) will be war

and hes also not in good form, that too is probably important. hwang sunhong gave him every possible chance to win the starting spot and he still failed

13. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Funny how Kwon Kyung-won turned out with his career. He literally was nothing of a player with Jeonbuk but one training match in a pre-season turned his career differently. He hit the jackpot with 1 training match seriously.

14. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    i think a lot of people saw national team potential in kwon kyungwon. there were a lot of praises for his performance in his rookie year. 2014 u23 afc championship was the one time he got a chance to shine but he failed to deliver. struggled in jeonbuk after that, failed to make the asian games squad, and rest is history

Ice cube repped this.
  15. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So he's a centre-back now?

chook90 and batumchange2 repped this.
  16. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    STY said he is taking everyone as ONE TEAM to Uzbekistan, but 3 of the players will not be on the bench but watching from the stands, same against Iran too.

17. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Lauded for his insider Kleague knowledge but his surprise pick ends up being LDG lol. Even Stielike knew better than to call him up.

chook90 repped this.
  18. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  19. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yeah I really don't get the Lee DG selection. But looking at the national pool, we are really thin in the central forward position. Hoping he doesn't play. Hwang to me is the only logical choice at this point to start.

I don't hate the Yeom selection. He doesn't really turn up for the NT but if he can somehow translate his club form to the NT level...he can be an asset with his passes and crosses.

Choi CS is really just a very pacey back without offering anything else. Cha DR is still missed badly.

TaegukRedDevil and aeh1991 repped this.
  20. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What would a starting XI look like with this squad(with injuries accounted for) ?

Azmoun suspended and Shojaei/Hajsafi situation tbd.

Not sure if CQ experiments or goes with regular.

Is LDG still capable? What type of player is he?

21. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    can I sig this whole thing?

22. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    LDG Pure striker mentality cherry picker physicslity. Some finesse but mostly strong on the ball. If STY keeps going with Lee it will be a make or break point for him and his NT career will be associated with it. If you think about it, LDG must play out of his head when/if he plays, he doesn't have much room for error. Mediocre, good for his age, or flat out shit will earn him no favors and being a mascot won't work either. Pretty dumb move already.

23. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    All this is a reflection of our player depth. There are no hidden gems in the K-League, just a pile of shite. Yang Dong-hyeon is worth giving a shot but will he make a substantial difference? Just another name, another body. This team isn't much different from Hitler's, and we all know why that is.

On a more positive note, I get the feeling that Shin will use Hwang as a false 9 with Son and Lee Guen-ho on the wings.

12th Player and batumchange2 repped this.
  24. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    What breaks my heart about Lee Dong-guk is that he doesn't put any effort into making runs. He was never coached/taught to do so. Definitely an old-school #9, spreading the boji between the two CB's. That's all he does.

I suspect Lee Dong-guk and Kim Shin-wook to the be the two-top, when push comes to shove. And what I mean by "push comes to shove" is the arbitrary moment where Shin will realize that the inability to string together more than 2 passes for 78 minutes was not some bad luck. You know, that arbitrary moment where our only option is for Kim Min-jay to hail-mary the ball somewhere between Lee Dong-guk/Kim Shin-wook and pray for a ricochet.

25. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Guys, I'm very serious. This is Shin's tactic and reasoning behind Lee Dong-guo:

Minute 77 in Tashkent. The score is 0-0; we are trailing the Uzbeks by 1 point as they have managed to beat the Chinese while we only took a point off Iran (1-1). It's a ride or die situation.

Minute 78
    : Off goes a random defender like Kim Min-woo, a defensive midfielder and a forward who's out of gas, like Lee Guen-ho. On comes the injured Ki Sung-yueng and our two #9's - Kim Shin-wook and Lee Dong-guo.

Minute 79-85: The Uzbeks hang onto dear life; they have 5 more minutes and begin to park the bus. They don't apply much pressure as they realize that Ki is skillfully much better than to lose the ball in our final third. The ball is distributed to Ki and he long-balls it to Kim Shin-wook and Lee Dong-guo.

Minute 86: All men are in their box and the Uzbeks look for every moment for a fast-break. Ki realizes that his long-balls aren't really working and plays it off to Kwon Chang-hoon. He then pokes a through-ball to Lee Dong-guo...

What will happen?

Only time will tell.

Godspeed to us all.