The Official 2016 SEC Thread- It probably won't be YOUR team... again

Discussion in 'Football' started by Auriaprottu, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's August again... the beginning of the two-month period where every trailer park dweller is a homer for his big state program. By October, half will be "conference" fans again, their lives hanging on the exploits of someone else's favorite program.

Soooo... who's gonna march into the shamoff under th' Stars and Bars this season? Vanderbilt? LSU? Kentucky? Georgia? I'm tired of hearing and reading about Nick Saban, and I know you all are, too. Can somebody else please pick up the cross and the Zippo and make 13 states' worth of American citizens start stompin' their feet?

Anyway, let's get this started right. CKS, maybe you need to pay attention to what your staff is doing while you lose games.

http://www.scout.com/story/1690547-texas-a-m-chalk-talk-features-sex-jokes

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    First coaches poll will be released tomorrow.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...igers-top-preseason-amway-coaches-top-25-poll

Same old, same old.

1. bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OU
    4. FSU
    5. tOSU
    6. LSU
    7. Stanford University
    8. Michigan
    9. University of Notre Dame
    10. Tennessee

The only Top 3 team that I think should do as well as last season is Clemson. Problem is, they suck when it's time to close the deal, so zero props for their ranking. Unless history reverses itself, LSU is wasting its time in the poll (not winning the West snuffs out any chance of the shamoff) and so is Tennessee. Nobody cares how good Stanford is or isn't. No shot at the shamoff. Go back to doing what you came to school to do- study. ND will not finish in the top ten. You go study, too.

5. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Alabama is the easy pick, but I will go out on a limb and take LSU in the SEC this year. FSU vs Clemson could be the game of the year. I have big expectations for both teams.

What f***ing coach voted Tennessee 1....?

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I figure Miles now has two seasons to accomplish something worth bringing up at the dinner table, which, for that program's level, is winning the conference at a minimum. I'd have given him just one before LSU looked really bad in their attempts to run him off. If they can open a hole or two for Fournette, it might happen.

I have none for Clemson but maybe winning the ACC and losing the shamoff yet again. OTOH, FSU showed me in 2013 they can close the deal as a program, and I think that one kid's multiple fumbles cost them against Oregon a couple years ago. But they have to beat Clemson.

Might have been Butch. I cant see anybody else doing it.
    Spurrier used to vote Duke #1 (his first coaching gig, IIRC- he's the only coach to win the ACC for them in recent history) at the start of the season. It's just the first poll, doesn't matter.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dak Prescott is showing Jacob Coker and the rest what a QB does, at least in the preseason. My guess is he wins his first NFL start rather quickly, as Romo is somewhat brittle at this point.

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Going up to Lambeau Field for the opener. It's time:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    College kids on The (soon to be) Frozen Tundra... is like a preschooler's fingerpainting in the Louvre.

I think NFL-specific stadiums (IOW, are not also a school's home stadium and haven't hosted a bowl) ought to be off limits to prospective players until they've earned the right to play on them by being drafted. Something to look forward to and work for, so to speak. I get the drawing power, but Camp Randall's good enough for this game. LSU wins by at least ten.

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    We all know why it's in Lambeau..[​IMG]

Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It talks, no doubt. I had my week wrong, too, FWIW. I thought all this was gonna pop off today instead of next Saturday.

In other news, Bama can't be satisfied with just winning the USC game (by a decent margin, I suspect)- they have to try to claim Tusk, too. Now, the actual Trojan musicians who recorded with Fleetwood Mac are loooong graduated, but it's not like the Tide or the Hundred Dollar Band had anything to do with it until recently...

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    If that's not the straw that breaks the camel's back, then I do not want to have any part of what is.

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's why the SEC hates to travel north.

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yes, cuz QB play when you travel north, diminishes.

16. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JT disagrees with you.

17. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goooooo Gators!!!

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am so glad college football is back and I am sure Auriaprottu is enjoying this USC-Bama game.

Good luck to all these season no matter who you root for.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I'm 100% sure he's NOT enjoying it.. or even watching it.

If I'm a Steelers fan, CFB would not exist to me.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He is a USC fan because his high school band once marched in the Rose Bowl parade... or something.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Integration of African-American players during a time when segregation was glorified :)

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't see the games, but traditionally, Wisky's been an old-school, smashmouth big boy program. I figured LSU's speed and natural athleticism would rule the day. Probably nothing wrong with LSU's ranking --still an upset-- but Wisky should have been ranked, if rankings matter at this point.

You talking about the weather or the talent? The weather's still great up there (it's early September), and any B1G program can sign a Jacob Coker, an A.J. McCarron or a Greg McElroy. Cam excepted, the good former SEC QBs (Eli, Stafford, Cutler) didn't come from programs that were successful while they were training there. I think these three have one division title among them.

He knows that. I guess he figures this is Georgia's year (the law of averages has to kick in at some point, like it did in 1980), or he knows a nine-point win v. a basketball school isn't worth talking about here, so he talks abut Auria instead. David Greene (LMMFAO) ain't walking thru that door...

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I make no assumptions about Georgia's chances, just play the games. Our kicker looks terrible and I'd rather have chicken legged Auriaprottu lining up for the FGs.

Auria, you really think North Carolina wasn't a worthy opening day opponent?

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    His father hadn't even born when the Bear saw the light.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do watch, just didn't today for being at a family reunion. The USC-Bammer score doesn't surprise me, tho I hoped it would be more respectable. But this is not a game for student-athletes, hasn't been since 2004 or so.

It exists for me to remind SEC fans here that it isn't their big school team that's poking the media in the mouth, saying, "Hey, Becky, I got some friends here who need it, too". I really hope Fish's Dawgs can accomplish something bigger than a conference title again one day, but eleven seasons have gone by since they even managed to do that.

Surely you have some eligibility left- why not drag your own pudgy stumps out there and lift UGA to glory?

Sorry, I've got three degrees. And I've lived in Athens, absolutely no desire to spend another day watching Black people do nothing of interest. If I'm going to attend/play for a White school, I'll play at Mount Union before Georgia. I have a better shot at a natty, I'm sure to get a conference ring or two and the NFL will see me regardless.

They're a solid team, certainly on Georgia's level. But they should get boatraced by any program with UGA's fans' expectations.