The Official 2016 Korea NT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

2016 KNT Fixtures & Results:

2016 KNT International Friendly Matches:

TBA

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia & 2019 AFC Asian Cup UAE Joint Qualification [Second Round]:

Korea vs Lebanon: March 24, 2016 @ Jeju, South Korea:

Korea vs Kuwait: March 29, 2016 @ Seoul, South Korea:

heyheyhe11, skimmilk and jinseokyang repped this.
  2. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    after disastrous 2014 world cup, we hoped 2015 would turnaround for the better with a new coach. i am glad our team answered the call. the team is in fantastic momentum now, even with an asian cup final lost, considering where we were back then, i am satisfied with overall result of 2015. also we have a coach now finally can make the most out of the situation. there has been so many coaching changes for our national team, now everyone is glad that we have coaching staff that will stay there and build for 2018 world cup and 2019 asian cup. i think that's one the things that we were missing. so many coaching changes, bringing new philosophy every time.

2016 i feel should be another fantastic yr for the national team. i am hopeful that also our u-23 make the trip to rio for the summer olympic games and win a medal. i assume we will play 3 or 4 games in the third round of 2018 qualifying games. and those games will be the most important games for us this yr. we hope to play against couple of friendlies against teams in europe or america. not sure how many teams are available considering there is also euro 2016 and copa america centenario in the states(which i will be attending the game in meadowlands. I'm hopeful for mexican game). but teams like netherlands, or denmark comes to my mind, teams who have failed to qualify for euro 2016. let's hope for another great yr for our national team. it is the most important team of the country. and happy new yr for all members in big soccer.

chook90 repped this.
  3. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The 2016 fixtures are still underway as the KFA are broadening its search into gathering strong teams for our proposed friendly matches this year, and among those teams Stielike has firsthand selected the Netherlands as our first European opposition (Negotiations are in progress).

chook90 repped this.
  4. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Hopefully it will be held in amsterdam arena and not some empty stadium in Europe or a B/C team in Seoul.

chook90 repped this.
  5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No, aside from our last two WCQ matches vs Kuwait and Lebanon, we will be having more Away matches this year around, so our match against the Oranje will be held on their turf.

6. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    http://m.sports.naver.com/kfootball/news/read.nhn?oid=343&aid=0000056234

heres a juicy news. we are in the running to host 2023 edition of asian cup. last time we hosted was way back 1960. so it will be 63 yrs after the we hosted the second asian cup. i am all for it for the rights to host the damn thing. its about time we do it. i also read earlier last week that china is also interested. but i assume we would be a heavy favorite to win the right to host the tourney since china had theirs back in 2004.

i believe we're on our way to win the 2019 edition and make it a double when we host the cup. last yr's asian game showed us that people in homeland are not interested in games that doesn't include our team. so it is interest how the overall turnout would be. the cup will be start during the summer compare to usual january. so that may help. for games played by china, hoju, japan, i assume we will get a bunch of visitors. but for every other games, i expect half empty stadiums.

7. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm not. Waste of money.

Hodori and zdrstvte repped this.
  8. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Considering the country already has 100% of the infrastructure needed to host the cup and 23 teams, I assume the overall cost is not bad as we would assume.

http://m.economictimes.com/news/sports/china-to-bid-for-2023-asian-cup/articleshow/50392012.cms

And since China is considering to host, I believe it's a perfect opportunity to host one ourselves. They're our near rival and I don't think we could let them host another one. Hosting Asian cup for China is an investment for themselves to get better. We don't have infinite moneyz like they do, and have to be selective and make careful investment. 2023 Asian cup, I believe it's prudent investment. So for me, I say yes.

9. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I wouldn't mind if China hosted, close to Korea and if we have the chance to beat them in front of their huge fan with millions of them watching by a huge margin then that'll be great. It'll totally destroy their morale.

TigersOfAsia, edlee1992 and zdrstvte repped this.
  10. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Investment? What investment? Where on earth is ROI going to come from? Who is going to be coming to Korea to watch the Asian Cup?

Hodori repped this.
  11. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Investment to win the Asian cup. Tilting the odds to our side to win the Asian cup. Outside of China, Japan and perhaps Australia, we will not see whole lot of visitors to come to Korea.

12. Gayageum

Gayageum Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There are intangible benefits though to hosting a sporting event.

And who knows? If it's organized well and efficiently a ROI isn't out of the question.

13. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Why bother spending all this money to draw an additional 10,000 visitors at best?

Ice cube and zdrstvte repped this.
  14. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

That myth has been proven wrong so many times in the recent years. We don't need to waste money for inane events. Seriously, what intangible benefit can hosting an Asian Cup give us? Wasting billions in Incheon and Pyeongchang is enough.

I think there is better chance that pigs will fly than that happening.

Ice cube and skimmilk repped this.
  15. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You want to spend all that money just to win a second-rate competition. Does the prestige of the Asian Cup really matter that much to you? At any rate, in a competition like this, we should be looking to win on our own playing merits, not by throwing money down the drain and inviting the whole circus to our backyard.

16. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    australia just edged us using home advantage and i think we would all be delighted if something similar happened to korea

17. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    it's funny how economics of hosting an event have totally overshadowed any prestige/pride that comes with it since the recession. waning of nationalism? i hope so.

18. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think it's just more countries realizing how expensive it is, especially given the fiscal climate. Nationalism is still kicking, just look at Europe and all the far-right nationalist parties.

skimmilk repped this.
  19. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I do not agree that Asian cup is a second rate competition. It's our European championship, it's our copa America. All European, and South American teams take their regional competition seriously. I understand you disagree to host because impression left by hosting Asian games, and 2018 Winter Olympics are complete waste za money. I agree Asian games and Winter Olympics was an overkill. The resident of incheon are left with 1 billion dollar debt to pay off for the next decade. And everyone would like to cancel 2018 Winter Olympics if we have the choice now. I'll make the case for hosting 2023 Asian cup for couple of reasons.

1. There no new infrastructure needed to be build. Thanks to 2002 World Cup, our country already has 100% of infrastructure need to host an Asian cup. If kfa is lobbying to build something new on a public money, I'll be first to be say no on hosting. So the cost won't( I assume) be as crazy we assume to be.

2. Second place finish in 2015 edition. We were so close to winning it, it left a bitter taste. Continuing the course now, we are highly likely to win 2019 Asian cup. Why not double it down and try it to win it twice in a row. By hosting, I say it gives us more merit to not screw up and hoist the cup at home. Winning the Asian cup obviously gives a bragging rights to say we are the best from and all important World Cup rehearsal that is confederation cup.

3. Chinese competition. If you been following the investment the Chinese were able make in their league for the past couple of yrs(ability to bring foreign players and coaches using their deep pocket), as a near neighbor and our immediate rival, we have to take a very closer look at what kind investment they're making. And when you read an article that China is interested in hosting 2023 Asian cup, we also have to consider getting hosting right as well. What is China saying to the rest of asia?. "We are investing in ourselves to get better and in 2023, we're gonna win the the Asian cup". Why can't we do the same?

Back when 2002 World Cup rights were up for grabs, we late entry to the party because Japan was in the running. Imagine if we didn't jump in the biddding, the cheap Koreans that we are, we still may play our national games at Jamsil Olympic stadium. To keep the Chinese in check, I believe we can jump in the fight to get the hosting rights for the first time in 63 yrs.

I've been reading article about Brazil Olympic is heading to a disaster. One big reason is they're building everything from scratch. And we are not doing that. We have everything. Is it really hard to make accommodation for 23 teams and media? Are we in a dire financial situation? I think we can host 2023 Asian cup. Have I sold you on now?

jinseokyang and TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  20. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    2. We'll win the 2019 Asian Cup in UAE and then we'll win 2023 Asian Cup in China.
    3. They're not going to win the 2023 Asian Cup, trust me. Also think of it like this, China invested so much into football and they have this huge ass expectation going into the 2023 Asian Cup like Brazil in 2014 World Cup. Millions or even over a billion of Chinese people going to watch that shit, full crowd in Beijing National Sadium. There's like over 80,000 people cheering for their home team. But then we pull a Germany on them, LSW scoring a hat trick, SHM with a brace, LKI with a goal and HHC with another goal. Just imagine how much that'll piss them off, we'll show even though they've invested billions in football, we'll still be light years ahead of them and the gap seems to be widening instead shrinking. Then they've been pouring huge amount of cash down the drain and realize that football just isn't worth investing. Then they also stop importing our players to their league. The End.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Tl;dr. But the first line is wrong

22. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Sigh... As in 한숨...

23. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    1) Unlike FIFA and the World Cup, AFC expects the hosting country to pay all the costs of organizing and operating the tournament. In 2015, that cost was about $80m. And we would get almost nothing on our money – AFC gets all TV revenue, and the host country only gets a share of ticket revenues. Which we know will be pathetic.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/m...-into-the-sustainability-of-football-appendix

No, it is not the cost of the World Cup. But it is not insignificant, either.

2) I'm not opposed to spending money in general, but if money is spent by the KFA, I expect it to create long-term results. Hosting and winning the Asian Cup does nothing toward that. Spending money on grassroots, improving youth academies does do that.

The Confederation Cup is nice and all but not worth the cost. While it's nice to see how far KNT has progressed, participating in one Confed Cup does little for long-term progress.

3) This is the most ridiculous of your arguments. We should host it because China wants to host it? Are you that insecure about your national pride? Japan's hosting a Summer Olympics, why don't we jump on that bandwagon to show we want to win the Olympics? Fck man, Kazakhstan just hosted the Winter Asian Games, we better get on that to show that we don't want to be out-competed by Kazakhstan.

China hosting the Asian Cup will do next to nothing for their development. Just as hosting it ourselves would do nothing for us. Have Qatar done anything since hosting it? What about any of the SE Asian countries from 2007? What did hosting in 2004 do for China? Their league may be poaching all of our players, but their NT is still nowhere close to qualifying for the World Cup. It's possible that China gets their shit together and start developing their players. But if that happens, hosting one Asian Cup won't stop that.

Seol Korea, Hodori, skimmilk and 4 others repped this.
  24. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Interesting debate. Idk which side to take, cuz I agree that the AC is in fact important but rn Ice Cube's 1 and 2 got me sold, it's a lot of money that's better invested elsewhere.

25. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    lol, there is a tendency on this board to just all gang up on heyhey. while i'm also in the camp of "this would seem like a waste of money" I don't think its a preposterous idea because (1) the infrastructure is already in place, and (2) there is a home field advantage that would have come in handy last year -- and we'd all love to see our boys break the streak. Yes the AC is second rate when you compare it to the other confederations, but it's still one we'd all like to see Korea take down. everyone needs to think back on how desperate everyone on this board was last year and how crushed we all were when they lost to AUS. Is it a sh!t competition? Yes. But it's OUR sh!t competition.

Anyways, I'm totally with people who think economically it's stupid and the money is better spent in investing in other football-related means. there's just a tidal wave of people shouting down heyhey and I'm just trying to provide a bit of balance. I don't ultimately know how much it would cost to host but if the sticker price isn't crazy high, I don't think the possibility of spending X amount of money to improve our chances to finally winning one w the help of our home fans would be crazy to consider.

seoulman9 and wetcrispy repped this.