The Official 2007 European Under 21 Finals Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by 'Uaglio, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Of course Portugal dominated the Exta Time, as soon as Rossi was wrongfully sent off you knew that Italia now had to play for the tie or fortunate goal.

I am very dissapointed with the ref, Manuel Fernandez had a yellow card--he tackled Pelle wrong and was called for a foul; he then went on to yell and jump/spin around at the call...so that's not a yellow but Rossi's tantrum at the foul(there was no foul) was a yellow? I don't think so, very disgruntling for me that he can't call it the same both ways--but--he is French, so go figure.

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yep, and in my mind he's best in the center, not on the left.

I think Chiellini and Aquilani will be drafted into the senior side come September.

3. FORZA AZZURRI 406

FORZA AZZURRI 406 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I was a little worried when we went down a man, and when Portugal started to push in extra time, but our boys came through at the end.

Another great PK shootout for Italia. I'm so happy. :)

Now we have something else to look forward to next summer, the Olympics.

4. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Hey now be fair--Palladino played just as well as he did today against Serbia; difference was he got chances to score and just couldn't do it. So he played the same game, a slight bit more flair--but--the same Palladino...would have been interesting to see what he could do given the easy chances to score he got against Serbia again.

5. FORZA AZZURRI 406

Aug 8, 2006
    Someone post highlights when they find them. Please.

6. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, but the england game he was pretty poor. look i think the kid has talent, just being honest that today he looked so good and just a week ago (versus maybe a team that didn't have as good a midfield even) he was invisible. not knocking him, just saying that with youth sometimes that is why it is so frustrating. look like worldbeaters one day, average the next.

7. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    from datasport

ITALIA UNDER 21
    Viviano 7 - Sempre sicuro nello sventare tutte le opportunita` portoghesi. Cresciuto alla distanza nel corso dell`Europeo, mostra di avere carattere anche nel corso della serie dei rigori, quando para il rigore di Manuel Fernandes.

Chiellini 6.5 - L`encombiabile capitano resiste in campo nonostante una vistosa fasciatura alla testa, ed e` tra i piu` pericolosi giocatori azzurri in attacco.

Criscito 6 - Cerca di spingere sulla sinistra fino alla fine, molto generoso.

Andreolli 6 - Conferma le sue doti di ottimo centrale difensivo dotato di grande personalita`.

Motta 6.5 - Ottimo il suo contributo sulla fascia destra, sfiora anche il gol.

Aquilani 6 - Molta voglia, ma soffre la maggiore fisicita` dei portoghesi soprattutto nella prima parte della gara.

Rosina 5.5 - Si vede poco, appare stanco e molto spesso estraneo alla manovra azzurra.

Montolivo 6 - Gioca a corrente alternata, non basta per incidere.

Nocerino 6.5 - E` molto spesso il difensore aggiunto che da` man forte ai compagni del reparto arretrato.

Pelle` 6.5 - Porta il giusto dinamismo all`attacco azzurro. Realizza con un cucchiaio il suo calcio di rigore, dimostrando grande temperamento.

Palladino 5.5 - Non si vede praticamente mai dal suo ingresso in campo, ma e` bravo a trasformare il penalty.

Pazzini 5 - Ha solo un`occasione importante e la sottrae a Rossi in chiusura di fine primo tempo, sciupando malamente. Si merita una vacanza per ricaricare le batterie dopo una stagione impegnativa.

Rossi G. 5 - Troppo ingenuo nel rimediare due ammonizioni evitabilissime. Gioca a sprazzi, ma manca proprio nel momento decisivo per una sciocca espulsione.

8. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiellini was MOM imo. Going into the tournament all the hype was on Andreoli to be the next great Italian defender. But he really put in a crapper. Chiellini otoh was magnificent in every match. I haven't seen him play much in the center but he looked great there. I think that will be his best position. He should definitely be called up to the full squad in August.

9. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    I really liked how well Viviano progressed throughout the tournament, a mid to high Serie B side would be smart to snatch him up.

10. Tottino

Tottino Member+

Mar 19, 2005
    Frosinone, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    pelle did the same pk in the last u20 world cup i think

11. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chiellini looks a lot like a young Materazzi, but he has much worse feet. Andreolli needs to get the fuck out of inter as soon as possible and start playing sunday after sunday, he's young and talented, but still too rough.

12. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Yep--he was considered Italia's best U21 stiker after that tourney; I think he has a bright future.

What a dissapointment Pazzini has been, he imo cost himself a shot at the Azzurri in the near future. I think Pelle has a lot of the same qualities that Luca Toni has--and that's a great thing. Why hasn't a lower to mid Serie A team picked him up? Even after that U20 tourney? Boy has great potential under the right tutelage.

Pazzini couldn't win a ball the whole tournament, that was just ridiculously so unreal to watch....wake up Gianpaolo!

13. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i and some others (uaglio i remember and some other posters too) have been saying this all along. i think even though he is athletic, it is a waste to play him on the left. he should be there only as a fill-in due to injury if need be. to me, his home is in the center.

14. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Congrats italy!

You have a great future!

We proved we are the two msot talented teams in this tournement by far.

The scoreline didnt reflect the game at all.

I have sucumbed to the belief that i willnever see a portugal side beating italy or france in my lifetime.

The ref was bad for both sides, he missed alot of clear corners of made the wrong calls on some fouls.

Congratulations again!

15. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Complete class post. Here's to you, sir.:cool:

16. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He actually played the entire season with Brescia (a mid to high serie b side). And he did well.

17. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agree. I still think criscito or canini (or even coda) would have done better as central defenders. They all have what andreolli clearly misses, experience.

18. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Good to hear then--

19. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    also there were rumors that Inter wanted to buy him and then loan him out to a Serie A club.

20. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Chiellini vs. Materazzi

Athletically, it's no contest. Chiellini is a much better athlete. Now, skill-wise, its not that far apart. Chiellini is not skilled enough for leftback. As Jpick pointed out, I've been saying this forever. However, he has plenty of skill to play a CB position.

Andreolli

I know people are down on him, but he wasn't all bad today. Anytime you hold a team scoreless when you have 10 men, your D has done a pretty good job. He's got the class..but as many have said, he needs the experience. He needs GAMETIME. He better get the fck out of Inter pronto.

Midfield

I thought Nocerino and Aquilani showed they were studs in this tournament. Montolivo really was not good at all. He better not become another Baronio. He needs to get more consistent. Rosina was awesome at certain points of this tourney but off today. He should be fine.

Strikers

Pazzini just didn't have it this tourney. As much as people bash Gila, he had 6 goals in this same tourney back in 2004 and we won it. Fiorentina really rolled the dice with him, and I still think he's going to be great. He just had an off tourney.

I think Pelle' won't amount to much, and Palladino will never be great unless he gets stronger and hits the weightroom. He's too much a featherweight for a game that is physical. Rossi will continue to excel, so we should be fine there.

21. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Not for anything but I think you're being a little too rough on the guy. Was he disappointing in this tournament? Yes when you consider how talented he is and what he's capable of. But to say that these 4 games have cost him a shot at the senior squad in the near future is quite exaggerated. It's Pazzini's weekly performances with Fiorentina during the upcoming season that are gonna grab Donadoni's interest, not just these 4 matches.

I really just hate how some of the tifosi praise a player one minute, and then not even two weeks later they're practically spitting on the same guy because he didn't live up their expectations. That's always been a problem with Italian fans and it seems as though it still remains a problem.

Another perfect example is how people were crapping all over Chiellini prior to this tournament, now everyone is praising him as a future star for the Azzurri. Quite humorous indeed.

22. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    I said Gianpaolo Pazzini dissapointed greatly in this tournament and as a result he will likely have his work cut out trying to impress Donadoni for a call-up. I said he cost himself a shot at the Azzurri in the "near future" --and I stand by that. You clearly need to comprehend the word "near future" before going on these little tirades of yours. It just means that Pazzini is going to have to impress Donadoni with Fiorentina more than he would if he had had a good tournament--understand?

I do think that Pazzini had his work cut out with little to no service and double, and sometimes triple teams coming his way. You can go back and check--I've been on Pazzini's side from day one and continue to be on his side. However that doesn't mean that I can't point out that he performed poorly for his standards and that poor performance will have a consequence(delayed Azzurri call up).

That said I do agree with you regarding the fact that many fans are on one players knob one second and the next spitting on him. I've always liked Chiellini, and do feel that many people have wrongfully looked upon his game many a time.

23. FORZA AZZURRI 406

Aug 8, 2006
    [youtube]hv2BawSw9A0[/youtube]

Here is a video of Pellè's crazy chip shot for his PK. Absolutely amazing! :eek: :cool:

This takes a lot of balls to attempt and a lot of skill to pull off.

24. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does take balls because you can look very stupid when you miss:

[youtube]sz_zLlgoD5U[/youtube]

25. FORZA AZZURRI 406