The Official 2007 European Under 21 Finals Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by 'Uaglio, Jun 6, 2007.

1. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Ok, with the Azzurri concluding the season in grand style, we now can turn our attention to the Azzurrini who are just days away from starting their adventure in Holland. We are in a brutally tough group, but this is also one of most talented squads in a long time.

With all of the talent though, there are some question marks as to who starts. I'd prefer the following:

Pazzini Rossi
    Padoin Montolivo Nocerino Rosina
    Criscito Chiellini Andreolli Raggi
    Curci

---------

Rossi better get the nod over Palladino upfront. Rossi was fantastic in Serie A where Palladino only had some flashes of brilliance in Serie B.

As for midfield, Aquilani was hurt much of the year, so I'd use Montolivo and Nocerino in the middle. Nocerino by the way is playing amazing right now. Padoin is a great left sided player...lets use him on the wing. Rosina naturally goes on the right.

As for defense, you have to find a place for Criscito. I'd put him him on left, but he and Chiellini could easily swap. I don't think much of Potenza, and Raggi had a great year, so I'd start him.

Thoughts?

2. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, it's a good problem to have up front and in midfield when you have to decide between nocerino and aquilani or rossi and palladino. i think rossi has done more for club no doubt, but palladino will probably start at first cause of experience and seniority (the italian way for u21s) and then in a sub role if he gets going, then he will start.
    I agree about criscito. he is the best young talent on defense at the u21 level right now imo. even if he is eligible for 2009, start him now and let chiellini play in the middle.

tough group, but italy, as always, has a good chance to win this thing.

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    streams should be available on www.myp2p.eu

And Uaglio I think you got it absolutely right. Potenza has effectively been pushed out by Raggi, who is much more agile and quick and better at going forward.

4. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    For those that have it, I think Espn Deportes is carrying all of the games.

It's on Dish and Directv, but you may need the Spanish language package (which I have but only for calcio...no telenovellas for me :)

5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Jpick

You bring up a good point. There tends to be a lot of deference by Italian coaches of playing the "guys who brought you there" or the "guys with more experience". Sometimes I think too much deference is given in that regard.

That's why I'm afraid Palladino, and perhaps Mantovani and Potenza may start (ugh). One guy we haven't mentioned is Canini. He has a bright future, but I don't think he had a good season this year after that awful injury. It was just so-so. Hope he rebounds.

Interesting that Coda and Canini were supposed to be our superstar defenders of the future, and now they've been trumped a bit. Here's hoping that at least one of them hits it big time with a large club.

6. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California

Fiorentina really wants Canini

7. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd start with this line-up

..................Curci
    ..Raggi Andreolli Criscito Chiellini
    ...............Montolivo
    .Rosina Nocerino Aquilani Palladino
    .................Pazzini

8. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    they have to make a far better offer then.

fiorentina is waiting to see if they manage to get barzagli, the offer for canini is absolutely not enough at the moment, even for the co-ownership.

9. italypassion

italypassion Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Got any friendly match before the group stage start?

I am really concerned about the line up.

My suggestion for the line up
    ..................Curci

..Raggi Andreolli Criscito Chiellini

...............Nocerino

.Rosina Montolivo Aquilani
    .....................................G.Rosi

.................Pazzini

10. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm looking forward to what this group can do! It'll be a tough group, as England are one of the favorites too.

Action starts this monday :D :cool:

FORZA AZZURRINI!!!

11. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Potenza out:

Niente Europei Under 21 per Alessandro Potenza: il difensore della Fiorentina ha accusato il riacutizzarsi di un problema muscolare in zona adduttoria e quindi non potra' essere a disposizione del tecnico Pierluigi Casiraghi. Al suo posto e' stato convocato il difensore dell'Udinese Marco Motta, 21 anni, gia' inserito nella prima nota di 30 nomi comunicata dalla Figc all'Uefa e che si aggreghera' gia' nelle prossime ore.

Motta will replace him. Guess Raggi is gonna be the starter, unless Casiraghi moves Andreolli to the right flank (he played some games with Inter as a fullback)

12. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    PS: let's post the whole squad...

Goalkeepers: Andrea Consigli (Sambenedettese), Gianluca Curci, (Roma), Emiliano Viviano (Brescia).

Defenders: Marco Andreolli (Inter), Michele Canini (Cagliari), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Andrea Coda (Udinese), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Andrea Mantovani (Chievo), Alessandro Potenza (Fiorentina), Andrea Raggi (Empoli).

Midfielders: Alberto Aquilani (Roma), Luca Cigarini (Parma), Andrea Dessena (Parma), Andrea Lazzari (Piacenza), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Antonio Nocerino (Piacenza), Simone Padoin (Vicenza), Alessandro Rosina (Torino).

Forwards: Raffaele Palladino (Juventus), Gianpaolo Pazzini (Fiorentina), Graziano Pelle' (Cesena), Giuseppe Rossi (Parma). (Agr)

13. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    That shows how dumb Inter is. Andreolli was born to be a centerback. Ridiculous to have him as a fullback. I think we'll see Raggi start. Thank God.

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

I think most of us can agree that on paper this is easily the most talented Azzurrini squad we've had in years!!!? And imagine, this is without the likes of Andrea Russotto, Arturo Lupoli, and Aleandro Rosi! :eek:

And to all those who were worried about us not having any solid up and coming defenders, just look at those names on this squad and I think your mind will be eased a bit ;)

15. CoachKilmer

CoachKilmer Member

Jun 18, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    why only 4 strikers????

16. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is going to be an exciting tourament. I can't wait until our first game. Our squad looks very talented. Hopefully we make it far, possible win. Who do you guys think are our other talented teams in this tournament?

PS. Will we have match threads for each match in this tournament? Cause, this is all we have to watch this summer.

17. FORZA AZZURRI 406

FORZA AZZURRI 406 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    This team is absolutely loaded. We are definitely one of the favorites to win the whole thing.

Why aren't Andrea Russotto, Arturo Lupoli, and Aleandro Rosi on the squad?

And by the way, FORZA AZZURRINI!!!!!!!!

18. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    England, Holland, Portugal.

19. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Good point. The only one that really sucks on that list is Potenza. The others have a lot of potential. I think this generation should give us at least a couple of world class defenders.

20. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Quite simple: They're all under 20 years old. As talented as they are, they're all still quite young but are sure bets to be regulars on the squad for the following Euro U-21's. Casiraghi chose to go mainly with guys born in around 1984-1985 instead and rely more on experience than anything else.

Regardless though, the fact that Lupoli, Russotto, and Rosi at just 18-19 years of age were getting call ups from Casiraghi this year for to the U-21 squad is already a huge testament to the kind of talent that these kids have.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Some good news about broadcasting of U21 Euro Championship

ESPN Deportes will broadcast the U21 Euro. For those of you who have Dish Network, ESPN Deportes is being broadcasted on their preview channels at no. 285. I have the 180 or it may be 200 package, so I am not sure if it is included in every package. They usually show preview channels for one or two weeks, sometimes longer, so if we are lucky, we may get the whole tournament. I believe gli Azzurini play 2:30 eastern time on Monday.

22. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Will RAI carry these games?

23. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  24. g2k2001

g2k2001 New Member