The Official 2005/2006 Ascoli Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by RandyNA74, Aug 19, 2005.

1. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you sure the napoletani in Melbourne are actually from Naples? Most "napoletani" I meet outside of Italy are actually from Caserta, Avellino, Benevento, Aversa, Torre del Greco, etc. ;)

Aussie Ascoli, you're mixed Italian and Filipino? That's interesting. I have a lot of friends with that ethnic mix (big US Navy presence in Italy, lots of Filipinos in the US Navy, many ended up getting married while stationed in Italy).

2. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

All the "napoletani" here say all roads lead to Naples. They are all from Benevento (majority), Avellino and Salerno (small number). In Australia its just common for a NAP (slang for Napoletani here) to be recognised as a Napoletani even though their not from there. If you ask someone where their from and the reply would be Napoli, then you would ask what part of Napoli.

Its a bit strange its like my father saying he's anconetano (capital of le marche) when he's not. Although most people from Campania have a strong connection to Napoli.

Thats interesting about US Navymen. In Australia you also get a lot mixed Italian filippino. Its not uncommon in australia. But thats a different mix because the dads are filo and the mums/moms are italian (if thats right). The mix here if the other way round.

3. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually, that's the mix here, too. Filipino (US Navy) dad, Italian mom. You see a lot of people like that in places where the US Navy has a big presence, otherwise zero.

4. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    all quite interesting and all Fair dinkum, like they say you learn something new everyday.

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Come to think of it, I have a relative who is from Benevento. One of my dad's aunties (my nonno's brother's wife) is from there.

I am of Italian and Filipino decent also. My dad comes from San Vito Sullo Ionio in Catanzaro province and my mum is from Carcar, on Cebu (the island, not the city).

In Melbourne, the dad is usually Italian and the mum is usually Filipino.

I'm not going to the Aust vs Grecce match but my second cousin and a friend of mine are going to see it. Send my regards to your friend with the big Italian flag. He'll show them what a proper flag looks like.

Whenever I mention about Greece failing to qualify, they act surprisingly modest.

6. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

Were a good breed.

7. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

My mum/mom(for the americans) was orginally from Manila but moved to Bulacan.

With your dad being from Catanzaro, does that mean you hate Reggina, seeing that one is a fierce derby.

Has Catanzaro been in Serie A longer than Reggina?

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I actually don't hate them. Reggina are the only Calabrese team in the Serie A so I would like them to play well. As long as they're Calabrese, I'm fine. If Reggina and Catanzaro were to play in the Serie A in the same season, I'm obviously going to support Catanzaro but for me, one Calabrese team in the Serie A is better than none at all.

I think Catanzaro has been in the Serie A for just as many seasons than Reggina. Catanzaro haven't been in the Serie A since 1983.

The best times were during the late 70s and early 80s, when we had a striker from Ancona called Massimo Palanca. He has scored more goals in the Serie A than any other player in a Catanzaro jersey. In 1982, Catanzaro finished seventh and at one stage, they were leading the title chase.

9. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

For me I'm all pro Ascoli THE LITTLE CLUB. I celebrated when ANCONA got relegated. I cant see myself supporting any other club in Le Marche because of the rivalry. When you go to see a Catanzaro match make sure people dont know you have a soft spot for Reggina otherwise you'll get mudered.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't be surprised if they would do that.

Whenever Ancona has been relegated, it has always looked to predictable. They never had a team that was capable of staying in Serie A. In the 1992-93 season, they had Argentine WC winner Oscar Ruggeri but the rest of the team sucked and last time, I couldn't believe that such a hopeless team was in the Serie A. I can't tell who's more hopeless? Ancona 2004 or the current Treviso team?

Is Ascoli going to take the match against Lazio seriously? I know Lazio would because they want a UEFA Cup spot.

11. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

YES, because its the celebration match. If you didn't know the Ascoli Ultras and the players were in bad terms, this is due to the Cagliari game. During the Cagliari game a couple of fans started yelling out SOLD and MATERIALISTIC, because the score was 2-1 to Cagliari playing with 9 men. But these fans walked out during the game and reports are that it was only few people. Then to make things worse the Ultras that went to Treviso were expecting the team to celebrate with the fans, however due to the last week and again a few fans again whistled at certain players (2-1 down to Treviso for most of the game). So this infuriated the fans because they have travelled everywhere with the team, and not celebrating(salvation) with fans was an insult in their eyes. During the week the fans and players had a meeting and now have kissed and made up, So now the players want to win for the fans.

I've got to the great foggia (future italian NT STAR) has been dissappionting because he constantly talks about Napoli. This upsets the fans because last year he was sitting on the bench for Crotone and Empoli. Ascoli took a risk with him and its paid off. I know he's repaid us with his skill and ability, I just wished he had a bit more respect for the club thats made his career.

Geez Ancona 2004 and Treviso 2006. Its funny because both these clubs spent big money. Big money on fallen stars especially. I'll have to say Ancona because I hate them.

12. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is great news that a great goalkeeper like him gets one more chance. I hope he still has a few tricks up his sleeve.

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sorry to say this aussie_ascoli but at this rate, Ascoli's chances of relegation are increasing. As good as Pagliuca and Pecchia were, they're past their best. Maybe if they can get some decent youngsters, it may not be so bad.

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who would have thought nearly two years later, that the same guy would score a spectacular brace for Italy against Lithuania in a Euro 2008 qualifier? :D

17. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Great season - great memories