The Not Really About Transfer(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bandwagongooner, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont think Sefalousha's interview would have won them this series, but its incredible how it has been ignored.

The NYPD committed police brutality against an NBA player and may have ended their title chances.

2. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blood testing will be implemented for first time in nba next season...
    hgh has been undetectable because no blood test
    not much smoke yet....
    lebron being vice president of players' union and best player on planet...surely will generate some whispers

3. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can you take the NBA talk the f*ck out of our transfer thread?? It's bad enough in the other teams thread it REALLY has no place here.

4. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ... And to try and get us back ON topic there are alot of paper stories coming out with talk of us being close and/or having signed Vidal. Would be a great addition to have him.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I used to hate on lebron but this year he's been a don

No other player could carry this team in the league currently

charlie15, DutchCane and Shen-O repped this.
  6. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly no one here is talking about hockey when refering to the Hawks, I am dumb.

7. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Clearly you haven't seen my Facebook feed.

All these new local hockey fans who don't know what the expression "Bannerman!!!!!!!!!" means .

:)

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As someone new to Chicago, I find it jarring that the term "Hawks" is used to refer to a hockey team.

9. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It makes people think that the name is otherwise distinguishable from, oh, I don't know, let's pick a name completely out of the blue, "Redskins"

10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

Man comeen like a Chicago Bulls fan

Noway we buy Vidal old head with knee problems

11. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Feel like Raheem for Theo would be a wash in terms of total contribution.

Both players get paid more if they switch, though.

12. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Sterling is a better passer, better technically, and puts in a much better defensive effort.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get back to the topic at hands, what about players that may be leaving the club this summer.
    We know that Super Tom may stay one more year, but we will definitely lose a few this offseason.
    Here are my guesses: Podolski, Flamini, Campbell, Diaby. Chez may be either sold or loaned out.
    Sanogo hopefully will be sell as well.

DutchCane repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto here, lots of respect for him. He has been sensational and a true leader this season and in the playoffs.

thebigman repped this.
  15. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Surprised that a CB hasn't made the list, or lists like it. Getting the right CB in and Marty out, is a big part of a successful summer for us. Finding a Larry-twin, and forming a new CB pair with Larry improves us in three spots, ie one central defender and both fullbacks.

I'm sure we'll get some sort of DM this window but I doubt it will be Carvalho. Not just because of doubts on Carvalho given his season but also the fact we already get a lot of what we'd want of Carvalho from Coq. I'd personally like to see Rabiot here. PSG wanted 15MM GBP for him last year, I think he's worth that now. Maybe he's wedged into their setup too tight now, maybe not.

DutchCane repped this.
  16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Mert, Koscielny, Gabriel and Chambers is surely enough cover esp since Debuchy can play there if worst comes to worst.

17. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cover? Yes

Cover at the level needed to win the league and go deep into champions league? Questionable.

18. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    AW sees Chambers as a CB and pretty much said we have more than enough there.

So, yeah, GK, deep MF, striker. Or, in the words of TH14, the "Spine".

Gotta feeling Sterling to Citeh for stupid money. They need English players to meet the quota.

DutchCane repped this.
  19. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Gabriel will push for playing time. He plays very Kos-like.

20. dm3mdgtr

dm3mdgtr Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Mckinney, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Wouldn't miss a single one of those guys you list.

21. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    It's not a matter of cover, the numbers are ok. It's a matter of style and getting the best out of our roster. As things stand Marty plays every game, and because of that there's a strong emphasis on our defenders being in the correct position. Otherwise Marty has to cover too much space, which he can't do. And an opponent on the ball will simply dribble around him and threaten our goal.

So Gibbs and Bellerin have to keep good position (which they're not very good at), instead of using their pace (which they have). It's especially constraining for Gibbs, since at the moment he doesn't have a lot to his game except pace, and weren't not using that very effectively.

Gabriel is a great signing for us, but if he and Larry are starters we need another player as the next man up for two positions.

22. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest worry at CB is injuries and age. Both Koc and Per will be 30 next season. Both miss games each season from injuries.

I feel like we are playing with fire there.

23. pyormin

pyormin New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You can not have more than 4cb per team anyway. That is what it is. Nobody wants to come here sitting on the bench or even not make a team on regular basis. Chambers can not make it to the bench anymore nowadays.

24. Under The Cosh

Oct 14, 2014
    Toronto
    I think it's rather brilliant that Arsene has replaced Mert and Kos like-for-like. Gabriel so far seems about as close to a Koscielny clone as you could get, and while Chambers isn't there yet, he has the stature and composure to be a direct Mert replacement. Very smart.

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  25. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That's why I think we should move on from Marty. He probably has some transfer value to a German club, maybe 10MM GBP, maybe less.

Up till this season, Marty's organization and man-management outweighed his lack of athletic ability. But that fell apart this year. We need a third musketeer after Larry and Gabe so that we'll likely have two healthy at any particular time. And also that Gabe isn't necessarily a known quantity for us, so we would also have insurance that he isn't up to our standard.