The Norway thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Bauser, Jul 1, 2015.

1. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    France looked in their sweet spot playing a South Korean team trying to build out of the back. It will be interesting to see how they handle a more direct approach.

2. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    And today should be interesting too, because if anyone is by nature prepared for Norway's attack, it would be someone like the Nigerians. Speed and power and quick breaks will be neutralized and the savvy of CGH and GR will be key today.

3. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    law10 and blissett repped this.
  4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Altmeister Even Pellerud weighs in on Norway's World Cup chances. He is now stationed in France as a spy for Norway scouting opponents for the group stage and beyond. He is not as optimistic as the players whose goal is to medal in the World Cup. Pellerud has coached in five World Cups (Norway 3 and Canada 2).

How do you view Norway's chances?

- If you ask neutrals abroad, we are not contenders. Not top four and may be not even top eight. But the team has set their goal high and as Martin Sjögren says, we are a very good team, with emphasis on team.

If Norway is second in the group, we'll likely play Brazil, Italy or Australia in the round of 16.

- These are all teams we are on par with. These are teams Norway can beat, Pellerud says with considerable optimism in his voice.

The Norwegian players want to go much further than the round of 16. The goal is to medal.

- That's a tall order, Pellerud says. I won't say it's natural to think about a medal for that team. But everything is possible. Factors like luck and momentum will play a part, which means a lot in tournaments. Nobody had thought Netherlands and Denmark would meet in the Euro final two years ago. Norway have players who work very well together, but the test comes now. Is the team strong enough to withstand the opposition coming from now on? We have a few high profile players, but should may be had a few more.

But this is the moment to step up, right?

It is. We have many young players who should peak in four years or so, so this is great experience for them. The biggest challenge for the Norwegian team is the surroundings at matches with large crowds.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

111 random Toppserien players were asked before the World Cup how they think Norway will perform in the World Cup:

Champions: 1.9%
    Bronze medal: 4.6%
    Quarter-final: 39.8%
    Round of 16: 38.9%
    First round exit: 7.4%

(This only adds up to 92.6%, so I assume finishing second and fourth make up the remaining 7.4% which wasn't listed in the source.)

law10 and blissett repped this.
  5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    According to NRK, Sjögren will make one change tonight, but keep the formation from the Nigeria game. Lisa Marie Utland is benched in favour of Karina Sævik. Sævik drops back to Caro Hansen's right wing position, and Caro is moved up front replacing Utland. That's a bit more attacking than what I thought. I had pretty much calculated with a defensive 4-5-1.

--------------------- Isabell Herlovsen --- Caroline Hansen

---------- Guro Reiten --------------------------------------- Karina Sævik

------------------------- Vilde Bøe Risa -- Ingrid Engen

Kristine Minde -- Maria Thorisdottir -- Maren Mjelde -- Ingrid Moe Wold

----------------------------------- Ingrid Hjelmseth

blissett repped this.
  6. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way you can call that penalty. They need to take a page out of North American NFL rules. You stay with the call on the field unless there is indisputable evidence otherwise. To me contact was made on the ball, therefore no foul.

7. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #1582 Ethan Frank, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    I'm annoyed Syrstad Engen didn't get more of it, but there definitely was contact on the ball before a natural follow through. I also don't think there was excessive force on the kick. One question might be if you think Syrstad Engen should be looking to clear like that when the ball was only just off Torrent's foot.

Edit: Definitely the wrong call by Steinhaus on a further viewing or two. I don't know what I was thinking earlier about being on the fence. It was a poor clearance, but she got all ball and followed through naturally. I thought Torrent was initially closer, but she wasn't. The only reason she got so close was because she lunged in recklessly with a two footed challenge. This was inches away from being an awful two footed over the top challenge catching Syrstad Engen's leg as she cleared the ball. (Maybe a bit hyperbolic, but I don't know what Torrent thought she was doing there jumping in like that.)

8. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I thought Norway looked really good and made France look uncomfortable. They have a really nice team in general; I also heard that they are missing their best player as well. Is this true? Really too bad if so.

9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Norway is messing its best scorer in Hegerberg (at least when you factor in club football as well), but as an outsider, I don't really know if the team plays better with her. I believe she didn't like the play style and tactics of the team as Norway crashed out of the Euros. She left the team, and ever since, Norway has mostly gotten decent results. Now, of course, saying the team is better without Hegerberg based on this is probably a bit shady, but I don't know if you can really say Norway is messing her at this tournament either. Of course, someone who actually has followed the team closely over the last two years can probably give more and better insight than I can.

10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I suppose when this happens during a World Cup you're anyway tied to the roster you've chosen and you can't replace an injured player.

12. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    That's right. Sjögren is pondering whether to fly down an extra player anyway to have a full 11 v 11 in training sessions. Otherwise the third choice goalkeeper has to fill in the role of a winger.

blissett repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    remembering a couple of of articles/polls featuring their 'top 100' players list from last year; both of them had as many as 10-11 Norwegians listed(which was more than even American players). So they defnitely have the talent, I follow woso, but I never even knew previously players like Saevik & Engen, yet they were able to tango really well vs the more heralded French middies. Norway seems to be the Uruguay of woso. a small country(5 mill) that can produce way more than it's fair share of quality players

59Amerinorsk, ntxsage and blissett repped this.
  14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Engen has been hailed for quite some time in this thread even if she's never featured in a major senior tournament until this summer. She has now been a regular in the Norway line-up for over a year and done increasingly well. Sævik going under your radar is more understandable. She did score a goal in Toppserien which went viral online early in spring season, but was never thought of as a possible starter for Norway until very recently.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Good news after all. Caro Hansen has suffered a tiny ligament injury on her foot, but the team doctor is optimistic that she can be ready for the round of 16 match on Saturday night with the right treatment the following days. Coach Sjögren will approach the next game also with a plan B in case Caro doesn't make it.

59Amerinorsk, blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Norway ever do the caterpillar celebration thing anymore? What good does it do for Norway to advance without the caterpillar thing?
    :)

blissett and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    That's so 1990s. The only way I see that return this year is if we knock out the US. ;)

blissett, 59Amerinorsk and kolabear repped this.
  18. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    They are now known as the "Grasshoppers" so I do not know what that can look like :cool::p

kolabear repped this.
  19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've read that Engen's headed to Wolfsburg, slightly bizarre, cuz in terms of looks, she could be mistaken as Gunnarsdottir's twin! lol. I wonder too, why pick WOB? It's won the Bundesliga title by 8 points & it's only going to be get more dominating as the other league clubs have been so cheap in opening up their wallets. So WOB has had another excellent recruiting season(Huth, Rolfo, Bloodsworth) but finding real competition(until their inevitable showdown with Lyon) is another matter(they actually beat 2nd place league's Bayern Munich, 6-0 & 5-0).
    Plus got to wonder if she's going to get much playing time? Considering that fellow country lady, Minde, was having a great early season while scoring several goals from FB, getting frustrangly replaced as starter by the player known as Babette Schlecht & barely seening again the playing fields for the reminder of the year! & taking chances on a squad where the coach refuses to start even German's top CB, Doorsoun. So hence an odd choice, pus possible chosen cuz the money offered might be good.

20. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    According to Engen herself, Wolfsburg have been scouting her for two years. They've pretty much analyzed everything she's done so far. The club didn't even ask Caro or Minde about her, so I guess she was convinced by the thorough pre-work. It will be interesting to see whether she'll win a starting spot. With the players currently there, she should have a fair shot at making it.

21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    It seems Caro Hansen will be fit to face Australia on Saturday night. :thumbsup: According to TV2, Norway will start with the same team and formation as against France with Caro in the role of a forward and Sævik on the wing. That's not Caro's best position for sure, and not ideal for Norway either, but Sjögren is afraid her poor defensive workrate will cost too much as a winger against the Matildas. It did against Korea with Reiten on the other side also being exposed. Sævik is better defensively. Norway have had very little rotation on the squad so far. A bunch of players haven't seen a minute on the field yet. I wonder if it's going to be a factor. Expected line-up:

--------------------- Isabell Herlovsen --- Caroline Hansen

---------- Guro Reiten --------------------------------------- Karina Sævik

------------------------- Vilde Bøe Risa -- Ingrid Engen

Kristine Minde -- Maria Thorisdottir -- Maren Mjelde -- Ingrid Moe Wold

----------------------------------- Ingrid Hjelmseth

Also some non WC-related transfer news: Kristine Leine, the central defender from Røa who just missed the cut to the World Cup squad, has signed for the English WSL club Reading.

59Amerinorsk, law10 and blissett repped this.
  22. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Always a great moment when they play this before matches. Forward to 3:28 for the English chorus.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  23. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    #1598 law10, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Mjelde and Thorisdottir are a good match for Kerr. I swear Kerr was unmarked or poorly marked on most if not all her goals against Jamaica, she won't have that luxury today.

As worriesome is when De Vanna comes into the game, if Norway don't adjust she'll blow past them 24/7.

The teams are pretty evenly matched and it will be interesting to see who on both sides raises their game and who buries their chances.

Interesting story on Australia's 18-year old Karly Roestbakken who holds a Norwegian social security number and dual citizenship via her father and spending a year Østerdalen growing up. She debuted in the W League at 15 and when Elise Thorsnes played down under Karly's Dad served her Norwegian ribs for Christmas and brought her brown cheese to training.

https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/4qxzeV/australia-komet-med-norsk-pass-aarhundrets-kamp

Even Pellerud scouted them in Grenoble and identified her as a point of attack if she gets a start. That would be part of the territory of being 18.

Be interesting to see the officials. There have been some way over their heads from places where the women's game is very amateur. Hopefully they've been filtered out for the knockout stage.

And what's been odd with the weaker officials is calls being made by VAR based on millimetres when the calls in the middle of the field and cards given are often so wrong and random that the combination is surreal.

The women's game IS different than the men's game. You can't compare them. But refereeing is more gender-neutral. I often wonder how the players feel when getting undeserved cards and calls. Would they rather just have referees meet a standard?

59Amerinorsk, blissett and Bauser repped this.
  24. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The tournament summer is far from over for Norway. The U19 European Championship begins in Scotland, 16 July. I have high hopes for this team. Too bad the midfield maestro Thea Bjelde is out with a knee-injury, but we should have a strong team anyway. Getting to a semi-final means qualification to the U20 World Cup in 2020. That should be a big goal for our group of players.

Coach Nils Lexerød has selected the following squad:

GOALKEEPERS
    Karen Sneve - Lyn
    Hanne Larsen - Medkila

DEFENDERS
    Vilde Birkeli - Røa
    Elisabeth Terland - Klepp
    Sara Hørte - Kolbotn
    Joanna Bækkelund - Lyn
    Malin Sunde - Trondheims-Ørn
    My Haugland Sørsdahl - Kolbotn
    Marthine Østenstad - Klepp

MIDFIELDERS
    Emilie Bragstad - Trondheims-Ørn
    Julie Blakstad - Fart
    Rikke Nygard - Arna-Bjørnar
    Elin Åhgren Sørum - Trondheims-Ørn
    Olaug Tvedten - Avaldsnes
    Ragne Svastuen - Røa

FORWARDS
    Runa Lillegård - Lyn
    Celin Bizet Ildhushøy - Vålerenga
    Matilde Alsaker Rogde - Klepp
    Jenny Røsholm Olsen - Lyn
    Anna Jøsendal - Avaldsnes

My four players to watch list would include: Elisabeth Terland, Rikke Nygard, Olaug Tvedten and Runa Lillegård.

Match schedule
    16 Jul: Netherlands – Norway (17.00, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow)
    19 Jul: Scotland – Norway (19.15, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow)
    22 Jul: France – Norway (19.15, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow)
    25 Jul: Semi-finals
    28 Jul: Final

25. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Vålerenga have made two interesting signings these last few days. Serbian international attacking midfielder Dejana Stefanovic comes from Avaldsnes and the forward Rikke Madsen, capped by Denmark this year, comes from VSK Aarhus.

Toppserien doesn't start up again until late in July, but LSK Kvinner are set back by the departures of Guro Reiten and Ingrid Engen plus long term injury of Emilie Haavi. May be we could get some drama in the second half of the season after all.