The North Remembers - Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frenkie is 21+, so not anymore within the age range of that award.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm dying to see Bergwijn in action in actual games tbh. Ever since I've become aware of him a couple if days ago, I've watched pretty much every highlight vid I could on him and I'm definitely intrigued.
    Not sure how the release clauses work in Holland ie, if a club reaches an agreement with the player, the club is forced to accept the money and let him go (as is the case in Spain). Because €20mil for a player with his potential could be a steal.

3. I donot know where that story about a release sum comes from as I've never heared about it and to my knowledge no club puts them in a contract.
    Remember I blasted the same nonsense about a release in the Lozano contract that was lower than PSV's refusal to consider even a bid over 50 million.
    So almost certainly gutter press shit.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fees quoted for Lozano over the summer were not based on a release clause: it was the papers (incorrect obviously) valuation of him at the time.
    The release clause mentioned here may be erroneous but if per chance there is an actual one, and based on how things work in regards to one, it's no surprise that clubs would be looking at him even more.

5. #55 feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    At the moment PSV and Bergwijn extended the contract until 2022, PSV could already sell him for more than that amount mentioned. Bergwijn decided it was far too early for him to go on a foreign adventure, also because of the failures of those that went early. Several big clubs already wanted him, so why would PSV put in a contract an amount they already could fetch and in the process create a potential hole in the team at a moment they arenot prepared for it.

Edit: remember Kluivert, who hasnot shown anything went for 17-20 million. If clubs are prepared to pay that you can make the calculations for Bergwijn.

I think it's just strategy of those media to mention an unverifiable ridiculous low release sum for a hot talent, thus making fans of the clubs supposed interested go omg..click..click etc.
    Shitheads those media are.

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  7. I think I found the source of the sum mentioned as a release clause. In an article by the Dutch Amsterdam paper Telegraaf it was mentioned that a French club did a bid on him this summer and the paper printed that PSV wanted at least a sum of twenty million.
    Also Bergwijn was quoted saying: "Steven Bergwijn: „Als PSV mij niet wil laten gaan, is het niet aan mij.”
    "If PSV doesnot want to release me, it's not up to me".
    That doesnot indicate the existence of a release clause.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My estimation of Neres is a slightly more pass-oriented version of Martial while Neres is more in BVB mold of flying winger. Would you agree?

I think Martial, Smalling, Shaw, AP and Ander are all obvious keepers. Ander maybe not IF we can get good $ for him, but he's of the level required to play for this team, moreso if he's not in the first XI.

Mata is a big maybe. He's flexible and could be useful if we play him in a midfield three and in rotation, but my gut says no. His spot in the squad should go to a kid.

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Mata is essential and he is not bitxhing abt being benched and if pogba play deeps we have no creative outlet furthur up the pitch. I would keep Mata definitely Martial DeGea Shaw but not sure on AndresP Herrera. Sell Smalling Valencia Jones Young Darmian ..

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No resale value for Valencia. Essential doesn’t mean what you think it does. Mata has a handful of goals plus assists in like a year.

11. Yup, he's a combination soccer style player, but that doesnot exclude his ability to strike from a counter.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #63 JC7rox, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Jokes already been made.

15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Mata still is a good squad player...

16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I’m a huge fan of Mata. Besides being the nicest man in football, he’s also our most intelligent player, as well as our most technical outside of Pogba. He’s been poorly used in Utd sides that do not play the possession style that he suits, but he’s too professional to complain.

If he goes I hope he goes somewhere that gets the best out of him. But there are others whose spot I’d far sooner give to a kid, tbh - our squad has far too many defenders and technically limited CMs to be getting rid of actual talent at the other end of the pitch.

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Yes, football goes beyond goals and assists.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Mata as well but his usage on the right wing absolutely drives me up the wall. He really should be deployed centrally, either as a 10 or at the forward tip of a diamond 4. His vision and ability to undo defenses with his passing would be maximized there, as opposed to playing on the wing, where his effectiveness drops severely. It's the same with Lingard really, albeit for different reasons and it's no coincidence that their goal productivity for instance has declined after being pushed out wide.
    I'm sure Mata would love to be playing more, but like Herrera his love for the club is genuine and he's happy to do whatever he can when called upon and is always ready. We absolutely should keep him around, as he's a player with his uses without a doubt.
    We need to bring in options to stop playing the likes of him and Lingard out on the right flank.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some of these players have their uses this season but not so much next season. Time to let the likes of Young and Mata go this summer.

If this thread is still about the winter transfer window, the obvious answer has to be Alderwiereld or Cahill. We've got problems at CB and although Bailly and Lindelof may come good some day, we've got problems to resolve right now.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho will be attending the Serbia v Montenegro game. That's the 3rd time apparently he will be in attendance of a Serbia game in recent months. Curious as to who he may be keeping an eye on. Sergej is an obvious pick, but I'm guessing there has to be others as well.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Being a good squad player is not the same as being essential.

Mata's a good player, but I'd rather develop Angel Gomes, AP or some other young attacking player. We can't afford to sit still. Imagine if we had been able to give the minutes to Lingard we gave last year, when he was 22 instead? Where might his progression be now?

I appreciate Mata as a good guy and a good player, but he's a little like Rooney in his later years... a stat padder. He's seldom the player who breaks opponents. He's frequently the guy who keeps things ticking over and exploits a mistake someone else forced and pops up with a goal or an assist. That's not ok for either a RW or a CAM/SS, the positions he plays. We need someone who forces teams into mistakes and who creates many chances for others. That's just not Mata. Maybe he could do it in a team with a lot of other creators, but that just makes him tidy.

22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Is gomes and other youngsters ready to be in squad or even on bench i highly doubt they are. Mata is 10x creative than rooney yes rooney can hit a hollywood pass. It seems you and i have been watching diff football. You are entitled to your opinion.Mata is very good squad player and if Pogba starts dropping deep he is essential in more forward role but as ashur said his usage on wing nullify half of his game.

Apparently its 20 yr old CB Milankovic Mou is keen to add on. Sergej has failed to live upto his hype this season along with alberto ..these 2 were running ring from midfield for Lazio last season and Lazio's ultras have even displayed banner calling them fake talent or hunting cash for their poor display so far this season.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sergej has struggled so far this season, but he's still a hot prospect. What he showed last season can't be a fluke. Don't get to watch Lazio regularly, so I'm not sure what the issue could be with them.
    Season is still young though and I expect Sergej (and thus Lazio) to improve. As long as Pogba is around, there's no need for him though. And if it was to happen, my #1 to replace him is still Saul at this juncture.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rooney: 0.63 g + a per game
    Mata: .43 g + a per game

Mata is unquestionably not 10 times more creative than Wayne, but he is about twice as likely to get an assist in a game than Wayne.

You don't know if players are ready to step up until you give them a shot and allow them to develop.

Gomes certainly has the talent, we won't know if he has the bottle until we try him. We'd all be wondering about AP if he didn't get his shot, but it is clear to me that's he's already a better midfielder than Matic and McTominay.

benni... repped this.
  25. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The trouble with Mata is that hes only useful in a possession system, in a central role.

Even then, hes just not a dominant 10. Hes a complimentary 10. So, you have to find your dominance from elsewhere on the field.