The NLD thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Nov 30, 2018.

1. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Seeing that turn around gives me hope for ozil and even Ramsey should there be a uturn on his contract.

I always thought that with AW when a player exhibited clear flaws they almost never over came them. This season we’ve seen Holding and Kola both take a leap in restive short periods.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wenger created many of those flaws in the last 5 years or so

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seeing the way Kolasinac has improved over the last few weeks has been enlightening. Ditto Xhaka (though last week against Bournemouth looked bad) and Bellerin.

Then again, you also see the limits of coaching: Mustafi.

4. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I would have agreed with that at the beginning of the year, I'm not so sure now. What do you think about why Ozil was dropped? I'm guessing the back spasms thing was face-saving bullshit. If that's right (or even if it isn't) there is some reason why Ozil isn't playing. Whatever it is, I'm guessing it's something we can't paper over.

5. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  6. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of the same everybody hates Duke University basketball, Coach K has taught his players to dive and flop like a fish out of water.

As for my take of the banana peel-throwing Tottenham fan, that's typical, Just like their club, Scums fans have ZERO CLASS, I'm glad Emirates stewards showed him the door, no need for that shit.

I'm glad it wasn't ANYTHING like THIS:

7. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Looking at their bodies of work this season, do you think Ramsey has done more or has played better than Ozil? I don’t.

8. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    No, I don't either. But I think the 352-ish idea we played the 2nd half with contains the possibility to change that.

Ramsey is a poorly defined player in terms of the position he plays, but he's pretty well-defined in terms of the aspects he's good at, and those he isn't. Basically, the way he played against Spurs worked in such a way that his weaknesses wouldn't cost us, and his strengths are valuable. In particular, the idea of the team starts to make more sense when you consider that he's on the field with Torreira, Kolasinac, and Bellerin. That gives the team a lot of athleticism that we haven't seen a lot of recently. By athleticism I don't mean height, bench press, or even just speed. But they have a combination of speed, stamina, quick reaction, and situational awareness to where no matter where the opponents have possession, there will very soon be at least _some_ pressure on the ball. It's not a Klopp-style gugenpress, but it's a start.

Clearly there's issues with Ozil. It's not completely clear whether they are fitness/health-based, attitude, or suitability to Emery's instructions. In the end I don't think it really matters. Ozil and his wages are a serious political problem for us, and those wages are very difficult to justify based on what we've seen on the field so far.

9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006

When listing the aspects of the game that Ramsey isn't good at, most start by citing a lack of discipline. I have always contended that.Ramsey was playing exactly how Wenger expected him to play. By way of evidence that he is coachable and can show discipline on the soccer field, go back and re-watch the Sporting game where he played in the defensive midfield with Guendouzi. He wasn't caught out of position and completed more passes than anyone else attempted, including a very Xhaka-like 11 of 16 long passes.

DutchCane repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL!

For some reason I always thought you were a 7 foot Jamaican dude

My images of Bigman are shattered :ROFLMAO:

thebigman and Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Rene Maric pointed this out years ago about Ozil at Arsenal

It's clear Ozil does understand tactical spacing and positioning extremely well.

So why was his spacing often poor with Arsenal?

Presumably because Wumger lacked an overall coherent framework

12. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I've been holding my tongue for a while about this, but having made the mistake of watching sky. But, the truth is Spurs are still shit and all their progress is a pantomime of reality. That reality being Arsenal have been shit, for longer than Spurs haven't been pathetic, Spurs aren't great they are just in the right place at the right time to benefit from failing institutions. They sit level on points with us having only played only one additional team of the top 6 ManU. We've conceded what 3 more goals, I think it's safe to say Spurs are still shit, and reality is snapping back into focus. I can't wait until we're celebrating St.Tots day in December again, just so I don't need to hear their name uttered.

People are falling all over themselves to praise Spurs but this is what 4 players different from the team that couldn't beat a relegated Newcastle? That, couldn't finish above a sinking, decrepit Arsenal?

I hate how these old stogey British defenders (Including our lot of old stogey British defenders) think they were hard back in the day playing against frankly shit English attacks with no pace, and no plan.

13. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair, our lot of old stogey British defenders made it to the Cup Winners Cup final twice, beating some very non-shit non-English attackers with plenty of pace and plan.

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One for you Yankee Gooners

[​IMG]

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The reality is that far from an "emerging middle class" we are seeing mega quality concentration at the top.

Chelsea, Liverpool and City have only lost one game between them.

Despite being on a mega run, Arse are still 8 points off the top. Spurs 9

City are on 100 pt pace again

80+ pt pace would be competitive for the title before last season. So it's not that Spurs or Arsenal are really shit at all. It's just 85 pts probably won't win the league

Romfordray, daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Remember Spurs are playing in the CL

That is a significant disadvantage

17. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's exactly my point mate. Even in our down turn it wasn't until late stage that we were struggling in the group. Seeding helped obviously, but we comfortably managed the group without it seriously impacting our league play until we were properly shit. And, then it all went pear shaped.

I would say Spurs are about as good as 2013 Arsenal, with a better coach. We finished 4th that seaon as well. Coaching might get you what 5-7 more points that is still only just 80 points at peak Spurs capacity.

The only time 80 pts was enough for a title was 2011, and 2001 I think, both seasons in which everyone watching knew the team were shit. That is even runners up to Leicester form. This talk of Tottenham quality is a myth, 80 points would only have pipped Fergie's Treble winning team for the title.

They are a good team... For Tottenham.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing what a rousing, emphatic victory against a mega-rival will do for the activity around this place. :) MD thread near 200 posts!

Let's make it 2 for 2 tomorrow with ManUre, both in the result and the BigSoccer buzz! Even if the immediacy & urgency of that rivalry is diminished ATM. And it's midweek.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how do we interpret all that?

4.7 passes per defensive action:
    OK, this seems pretty clear. We won the ball back from them faster than any game this year. Our aggressive pressing was obvious Sunday, and whenever I see us play like that I wonder why we don't do it more.

60 defensive actions overall (season high):
    Does that also speak to our aggressiveness? As soon as they got the ball we were on them like a fly to sh1t.
    Or that they just had more offensive opportunities that required our defensive actions? That wasn't my impression but...

What would be nice to couple these stats with is pitch location of the actions. If they were often in their half, or the middle third, that would be telling.

mebeSajid repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Statsbomb guys occasionally publish stuff like this, explaining where teams press and how effective they are.

Man City just pen you into your own penalty area. Liverpool used to do the same, but they're pressing much less this season. Tottenham aren't as good as they were in seasons past: they typically have this midfield trap where they press like hyenas in the center of midfield (may be a function of them not having great passers - they want to create some more space to run into).

22. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I believe you, but I don't think it makes a difference. I have no doubt that he can play disciplined if the staff tell him to, I don't see as how it helps things. The bigger picture is that he can't do the things for us that Cazorla, Rosicky, or Cesc Fabregas did, because he doesn't have the skills that they had.

23. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

He can also do things none of them, even if you combined all three of them into one player, could do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    He's a different player then those guys

25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    He's better then any of these guys on their best day and that's a fact. I agree with you here