The Next Wave

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Pegasus, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article is presented on the MLS site. Check grammar next time. Sometimes I wonder if any websites have editors.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grammer"s fpr oldTimerz.

4. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me gramps

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's really hard to predict who the next round of homegrown signings will be.
    And of course, not all homegrown signings are equal. Some guys are signed as roster filler and some as potential starters.

There could 5-6 on the current U18 team alone. There are really good prospects in the U16 (Pomykol and Ferreira in particular). And of course, there are a couple of guys in the NCAAs that could be signed next off-season.

Meanwhile, with Hollingshead and Ulloa signing new multi-year contracts.............................almost all of the key pieces on the team are signed to long-term contracts. Jesse Gonzalez perhaps, but I'm not sure if he's a "key piece" or not. We didn't miss Sanchez after he left, and we probably wouldn't miss Gonzalez if he left. Lots of keepers in the pipeline as well.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key is whether the future signings can get up to speed before the current stars get plucked away. Otherwise there may be a few years where FCD drops back to the mean while their youngsters get up to speed unless the FO finds a few stopgaps (which they seem entirely capable of finding ala Barrios, Lizarazu, Urruti, Rosales).

TCS35 repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #7 Clint Eastwood, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

Hector Montalvo started this game at CB as well.

Gut feeling? Is Weston McKennie the next kid signed directly out of the academy? Are we really going to let him head off to UVA in the fall?

TCS35 repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel more comfortable with OP making those decisions than SH. He will actually play guys so if he signs them they will get minutes. Do wish they could figure out the whole second division thing and getting compensation for players they train but go elsewhere. Would be satisfied with sell-on rights percentages in case they make it big. How much would the Argentine brothers have brought in with 20% sell on rights?

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I lived up near the stadium I would watch a bunch of these games. Wish I knew more about these players but I trust our coaches. That side of the team is in great shape. I'm hoping they add Mauro Rosales as a coach when he's ready to hang it up. he has the presence that good coaches have.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I put this in another thread, but it really belongs here. Arguably our best prospect on the U18 team.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, in the Yanks Abroad forum Brian Sciaretta (who I consider a reliable source) said.............

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    THe USSF development academy has released their end of season awards, and quite a number of FCD kids made the cut:

U15/U16:
    Central ConferenceGOALKEEPER: Alex Fetterly (Texas Rush)
    DEFENDERS: Griffin DeBolt (Crew SC Academy), Jose Bencomo (Colorado Rapids), Aedan Stanley (St. Louis Scott Gallagher-Missouri), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City)
    MIDFIELDERS: Damen Marcu (Real Colorado), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas), Brandon Servania (FC Dallas)
    FORWARDS: Griffin Dorsey (Colorado Rush), Rhys De Sota (Real Colorado), Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas)
    PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Griffin Dorsey (Colorado Rush)
    COACH OF THE YEAR: David Richardson (Sockers FC)

U17/18:
    Central ConferenceGOALKEEPER: Ben Hale (FC Dallas)
    DEFENDERS: Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire), Hector Montalvo (FC Dallas), Reginald Cannon (FC Dallas), Spencer Glass (Indiana Fire)
    MIDFIELDERS: Suniel Veerakone (Crew SC Academy Wolves), Djordje Mihalovic (Chicago Fire), Weston McKennie (FC Dallas)
    FORWARDS: Brandon Guhl (Texas Rush), Devin Vega (FC Dallas), Emmanuel Sabbi (Chicago Magic PSG)
    PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Weston McKennie (FC Dallas)
    COACH OF THE YEAR: Lars Richter (Crew SC Academy Wolves)

Also, the don't have a U14 team. They do have coach of the year, though:
    CentralCOACH OF THE YEAR: Chris Hayden (FC Dallas)

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also, from that article. This is of note:

McKennie, a goal scorer in last year's final, was again vital for FC Dallas' championship season. The central midfielder and YNT regular (6 call-ups in 2015-16) scored 12 goals during the regular season and recently signed a professional contract with Germany's FC Schalke 04.

I don't know if they're just repeating a rumor they heard previously there, or if they've just accidentally spilled the beans.....................

TCS35 and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  16. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

18. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    TCS35 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Photographic evidence of said "trial" unearthed in the youth yanks abroad forum. This is a pre-season U19 game with Schalke. In the foreground is another American youth starlet, Nick Taitague. There's already another American youngster officially at Schalke. That's Galaxy academy alumnus Haji Wright.

Weston's 18th birthday is at the end of August. He can't officially move until then.

[​IMG]

20. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    TCS35 repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems to be true. FCD has lost three (when this happens) good young players in the last month. Zendejas, Castillo and apparently McKennie. Will they sign some of the younger ones now so they can keep them at least a little bit?

23. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Rumors are finally appearing about FCD 2.
    I want FCD 2 to be composed of nothing more than FCD Academy players (current and former) and unknown South Americans.

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unknown to who? :D . FCD may find better players than the recent signing who is 22 ish and never a professional in S. America. MLS is a bit better than that level.