Alert: The Next USMNT Coach - Speculation & Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bwach, Jul 4, 2010.

1. USINEU

USINEU New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    bradley will be back. it appears both plan A scenarios did not work out for both bob and the ussf.

plan A for bob: a position overseas, which does not seem to have materialized. so, he has the mnt to fall back on, his plan B.

plan A for ussf: get a new coach, like bielsa, who is good but not too costly. if you dont, fall back on plan B, which is bob, because it not the worst option.

what the ussf and bob fail to act on, is that since both choose plan B, they are not answering the right question: what is the right thing to do? bob wants to try something new overseas, but elects to fall back on something that is good enough until a post opens up. the ussf is saying, well, bob is not so bad, and 4 more years wont be that disastrous.

where is the step forward for the usmnt? neither party is choosing what they would like to do. so, they settle for what is a decent choice. where will that get the mnt? in my opinion, not much further than the 2010 cycle.

2. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Bob Bradley: perpetual winner by default

3. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    If Bradley continue to be coach, USSF should already said so! Instead, beating around the bush!

USSF already proven itself to be semi-pro & have no idea about American public.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course,the main obstacle to find a replacement is finding someone who'd work the job for $500,000 a year.

I wish they'd call me.... :)

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    They should call me; I'd take the job for $480,000 year (with a minimum 3 year guarantee).

honestly, I assume they're waiting to make a decision until after Dec 2nd, so they'll know which WC they'll be hosting and the appropriate time/cycle to "really spend" on a coach as they ramp up for that home WC (and that upcoming financial windfall).

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    According to the various 2006 rumors, Gulati and Klinsmann agreed to a contract anywhere between $2M and $2.5M annually.

Some people (MonarchBeachBum?) posted here that Sunil went with ~ $800K as his opening bid and that was dismissed out of hand and even laughed at by Carlos Alberto Perreira, of all people (apparently, he and Klinsi know each other fairly well and CAP was making about $3M/Y then with RSA).

Furthermore, if Klinsmann is to be believed about the reason for his unwillingness to commit then, Gulati had to have worked out deals for his assistants as well.

Only the degree of control stood in the way.

And, if USSF agreed to $2M then, it should be a snap now.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We've bandied it about in a facile manner, but I think it's actually reasonable to think that these 2010 post-WC home friendlies are in large part a "manager salary slush fund collection."

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If a "good coach" was the difference between the 1/16 and the 1/8, how much additional money would the USSF have made?

Obviously, not as nearly as much as the ESPN, which would have added three more days of a nearly hysterical hype worth tens of millions.

In which case, Skipper better make his feelings known to Gulati.

9. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) Not so sure about these numbers but at least you said "nearly" with regard to hysterical.

10. drivas

drivas New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    certainly ESPN should kick in some cash for a top tier head coach. I mean they sold a one win performance in the world cup to tens of millions of soccer know nothings in this country. as well as NIKE should too for all of their shirt selling stunts like the one that was fru fru adu. give us a refund already, better yet credit it towards a top level coach (not that one wants to come here anyway). but i digress

11. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we get 2022 WC, will it mean another 8 years for Bradley?

12. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I think ESPN and Nike have ALREADY kicked in cash to US Soccer by A) paying for the right to showcase friendlies, Gold Cup and World Cup (which goes to FIFA, which pays US Soccer a proportion) and B) paying to sponsor US team jerseys, equipment, etc. You're asking them to put in more cash on top of that? I don't think so. It's up to US soccer to decide how to use their revenues. And if they're not willing to spend it on a better coach, that's their problem.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Their problem or our problem? :(

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Share the load.