The Next Technical Director

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by VBCity72, Feb 10, 2018.

1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the election is over, who will president Cordeiro select as his TD?

This is an important position, just as much as a head coach and it needs to be a soccer guy. I'll throw out some suggestions...
    Kyle Martino
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Claudio Reyna
    Hugo Perez

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still on the Oscar Pareja bandwagon.

rgli13 and Heist repped this.
  3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!

neems repped this.
  4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, cocktails in the last carriage my friend. No FC Dallas gear required!

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm hoping for Wenger.

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get whether you're agreeing with me or not.

neems repped this.
  7. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, definitely happy I'm not the only one. Bad Gulati level joke on my part...

Heist repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that you say it, I probably should have read it that way. :)
    I really think we need to try someone like him. If it doesn't work, we can go back to the same tired crap.

neems repped this.
  9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think this search has already started which is why you had articles a couple of weeks about about Garth Lagerway and Ernie Stewart being available for the job. The big problem for the USMNT at the moment is this Euro vs. MLS nonsense. Stewart would be perfect as someone who has been a TD in Europe and MLS.

Whoever it is I don't want it to be anyone from the so-called ACC Mafia that has so populated our National Team coaches.

deejay, sXeWesley, SamsArmySam and 3 others repped this.
  10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Maybe I’m off, but I’d like him to have both significant playing and coaching experience. I’d also like to not drain MLS from the talent they have (also why I don’t want Tata as coach). That eliminates all the people mention here plus Pareja, lagerway, and Stewart except Perez.

I like Perez for his views on the game, wanting coaches/teams be willing to take risk and play attractive soccer. He also has a good eye for talent and would be a great guy to address access for minorities.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can drain MLS for all that they are worth. They don't ask the national team what is best for it recruiting players from overseas by overpaying the market and hog tying the few contracted potential players we have had with that organization.

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If it is a position like Bierhoff in Germany, it is more logistical and political. Yes, you hire the coach but also serve as liason between the board and the coach. Perez has proven he has no political skills but obvious talent identification skills. I'd give him Rongen's job at the least. He has to be brought in and given serious responsibility in some capacity.

mattjo and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Claudio Reyna would also be a good candidate if he would want it. He not only is connected with Man City, but he played in Germany, Scotland, England and MLS. I think he worked at USSF as Youth Technical Director, is married to a former USWNT player, and has a kid right now going through the, "sign with MLS or move to Europe" decision. Pretty much been personally connected to everything.

Not sure there is an American more qualified than Reyna. Don't know if it has to be an American though.

JackBlack21, TarHeels17 and Step Over repped this.
  14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the TD has to or necessarily should be American. These guys were some I thought of off the top of my head. I feel like the head coach should be American; Berhalter, Marsch, or at least have experience coaching in MLS; Tata, Oscar, because our depth will likely come from MLS and knowing the pool in country would be a plus.

sXeWesley repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t disagree with sentiment. Believe me, I have come to have those feelings as much as anyone. I was trying to get on board with a new start with all the talk about “collaborating” across functions. MLS has few quality soccer people as GMs, coaches, etc that losing one of them wouldn’t be challenge. I think Tata for example is going to make a huge difference in the sport in this country in his role in Atlanta.

I could be swayed though. Thinking about this, maybe going after their talent might push MLS to react or overreact accordingly. I don’t necessarily agree with everything they have done, but Klinsmann pushed MLS to really up their game.

neems and Patrick167 repped this.
  16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t think the position should be that initially. I think it should be someone that is driving the approach to the game in this country. It may evolve over time, but think that initially it should be more focused on the game. In addition to hiring the USMNT coach but also the YNT coaches. I’d also like him to advocate for Americans in MLS (somebody beside clowns on the internet would be positive).

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richie Williams.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bruce Arena

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003

Btw, someone asks Hugo if he’d take the job...

21. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugo should have never been forced out. But he makes too much sense so obviously he can't stay around.

As far as who Id like for the job, it really comes down to what they view the job as. Is it a real job where they work to shape youth teams, academies, development and coaching? Or is it more of a intermediary between the board and coach? Or is it more of like a GM in other sports who chooses rosters and coaches, etc.

But serious contenders need to be people who didn't contribute to the mess that is our set up right now. No Tab, Richie, Rongen, Hackworth, Sarachan, Arena, Bradley, etc.

Just some names that Id like to see mentioned

Ralf Rangnick of RB Leipzig.
    Les Reed of Southampton
    Christian Hiedel of Schalke
    Jose Taverez of Porto
    Mark Overmars of Ajax
    Jean Kinderman of Anderlect
    Manuel Fernandes of Sporting
    Paulo Bento
    Momcila Vukatic of Partizan
    Hugo Perez

22. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Rongen or Richie Williams......purely because I want to see the BS meltdown.

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Even better - Jurgen Klinsmann, with Jay Berhalter doing all the work once again.

24. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The primary job of the technical director will be to choose the coaches in the system. Secondarily, they should be involved with the scouting process (not the actual scouting itself) and the recruitment process for dual nationals.

Much is going to be made of reforming the youth system, but the difficulty is that that is a politician's job (how do you bring people together, or convince them to do something they are reluctant to do) and the best technical director is not going to be the best politician. Hopefully he and Cordeiro can work together if they agree on an agenda.

25. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Would love to see Stewart get serious consideration for the role.

I recently re-watched the 2002 World Cup opening win against Portugal.*

Stewart wore the armband, and the Stewart:O'Brien pairing in midfield was outstanding, on a different level. (Beasley was left side, O'Brien central, Earnie on the right, with Mastroeni in the 6 cleaning up behind them.) In addition to an outstanding tactical reading of the game and performance, Stewart also clearly was mentoring the teenage Donovan pregame and throughout. Earned the armband. He gets MLS and the American system. He gets Europe and the European system. Could be a great complement for Cordeiro.

*You can find an HD format foreign stream on Youtube now. Projected to a big screen, it's fantastic. You can see the individual performances all over the field in a way you couldn't when it was live in 2002 (pre HD days for most in US).