The Next Meeting Is:

Discussion in 'Eads Brigade' started by Sport Billy, May 21, 2008.

1. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's the area its around, like parking and whatnot? I know the area enough to know that a block one way or another makes difference....

Is there parking close by?

2. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just street parking. The area surrounding is kind of iffy, but it's one of those neighborhoods that is "up and coming". There are a couple other nice bars on the same street (Morganford) as well as a cafe and organic/local grocery store.

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah. I get back in STL for spring break Friday. :(

4. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    LOL.

I suggested Amsterdam Tavern as a venue when it first opened up. SB told me he hadn't been, but from what he'd heard, it'd be closed in two months.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm glad I heard wrong - the more soccer friendly venues the better.

6. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amsterdam's great, but seriously, to hell with MLS. Not a chance I'm going to this.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, aren't you the little live-and-let-live ray of sunshine?
    I'm not happy with the expansion process either, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna turn my back on the top level of footy the US offers. At least, I classify the game as being separate from the organization. I'd be going to Amsterdam's myself if I hadn't had a previous commitment. But seriously, though, don't be a stick-in-the-mud about it. :rolleyes:

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I disagree with jasontoon. I'm going tomorrow night, because I still support Eads Brigade. I'm not really a MLS fan, I'm a supporter of St. Louis soccer. I support the US National Team. If we get an MLS team down the road, I'll support the heck out of it. But right now, there is no reason for me to get excited about the league.

9. KeeperDad30

KeeperDad30 Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand feeling jilted by the league, but I think that it is exactly this kind of attitude that has kept MLS from being more popular than it is. Everyone may not have a hometown team to root for, but I think we need to support the league if we want three things:

1) a better national team
    2) more teams
    3) respect for our league from the rest of the world

Jasontoon, I'm sorry we won't see you tomorrow night. MLS may not be up to the standards of the EPL, but it is the best domestic product we have. And I would have to call you a hypocrite if you think the product on the field is crap until there is a team in St. Louis.

10. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KeeperDad30, I couldn't have said it any better myself.
    I lived in Texas for the last couple years and went to a Dynamo match. And guess what? It was so much fun, I jumped on that bandwagon! Just like when I go to the Wizards game on the 9th of April, I'm sure I'll be a fan of theirs too after that. It's not EPL but it is good soccer (football) and it is enjoyable to watch. So, until St.Louis does get a team (MLS or USL), then I'll just enjoy it for what it is and root for who I choose because I love the game!!

11. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if I want to consume televised soccer product, there are many more entertaining options.

If I want to follow a team that means something to me regardless of the level of play, there's SLU, or the Lions, or even Athletica.

It's gotta be one or the other: either entertaining, dramatic soccer or a team that represents me and my city.

Sounders vs. NYRB won't be one of the 20 best matches on TV this week, and I have no reason to care about either team, so why watch?

I've wasted too much of my life watching crappy MLS soccer just because it's the USA's national league. If MLS doesn't want me as a fan, I'm only too happy to oblige.

12. dweissen

dweissen New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    So how was the latest outing?

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The timing was pretty bad, but nothing could be done about it. Between many people being down about MLS's decision on 17 and 18, the NCAA tournament going on (and Illinois playing at the same time), and the fact that it was a Thursday night, the turnout was small. I still don't understand the league scheduling the opener on a Thursday opposite the opening night of the NCAA tournament. It worked okay for Seattle, but I've got to believe it hurt their television ratings. But those of us who were there had good beer and good conversation.

14. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I flat out couldn't afford the trip. I don't if anyone else had the same problem.