The Next Five MLS Expansion Cities Will Be... (2017 Edition)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by flippin269, Dec 16, 2016.

?

The Next Five MLS Expansion Cities Will Be....

1. Charlotte

19 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Cincinnati

75 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Detroit

47 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. Miami

60 vote(s)
    48.0%
  5. Nashville

12 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. Raleigh/Durham

13 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Sacramento

100 vote(s)
    80.0%
  8. San Antonio

56 vote(s)
    44.8%
  9. San Diego

44 vote(s)
    35.2%
  10. St. Louis

73 vote(s)
    58.4%
  11. Tampa/St. Petersburg

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  12. Other

17 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It wasn't fully undone, but as noted several times now, everything is returning to the state and there is a NWSL team there now.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Question for the masses: To what extent will MLS' selections reflect a desire to kill the NASL/protect the USL? Would MLS take on, say, Sacramento, Tampa and Cincy, essentially gutting the USL of its bigger brands? Would they opt for, say, Indy over Cincy so as to protect the USL?

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I personally think that is unlikely. I don't even know if MLS has a desire to kill the NASL. MLS seems to mostly ignore it while it is doing a pretty good job of killing itself.

4. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what Rolling Stone says about it:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...l-is-still-anti-lgbt-unconstitutional-w474462

"HB142 does not restore the status quo because it bars localities from protecting LGBT people and specifically prohibits protections for bathroom access. Like Trump's Muslim Ban 2.0, HB142 cannot erase the fact that the original law was motivated by unconstitutional animus. To paraphrase the president, it is a "watered down" version of the first one. HB142 is a halfhearted attempt to reverse the economic hit the state has taken thanks to the revulsion HB2 inspired and get its basketball games back. Neither the public nor the courts should accept it."

jayd8888 repped this.
  5. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if there's anything that would stop MLS from naming Sacramento after today's news other than MLS not really feeling like expanding there:

Sacramento Republic FC formally joins Major League Soccer bid
    Sacramento Bee

6. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami: New Stadium Rendering:
    [​IMG]

Beckham representatives face public in quest to bring MLS to Miami
    Miami Sun Sentinal

- 25,000 seat venue
    - Miami-Dade County will be voting next month whether to approve a $9 million sale to the Beckham group of the remaining 3 acres of land needed for the stadium to be built
    - Stadium is expected to be completed in 2021. Beckham's team wants to start playing in 2019, so they'd want a temporary home for the first two seasons if that happens. The idea of that being the start year is not official or agreed upon as of yet.
    - Team will spend $100 mill for a training center / academy, and $225 mill for the stadium.

Next month will be a big month for Miami's #24 spot.

UCFWayne and sitruc repped this.
  7. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
    Azerbaijan
    Mar 28, 2017
    The Dinner Table
    its rises from the dead!

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

The stadium will not have parking facilities...

“We’re going to be encouraging the use of Metromover, Metrorail, water taxis, ride-sharing,” Spencer Crowley, a lawyer and lobbyist for Beckham's group, told The Herald.

The club would reportedly also arrange for boat and bus shuttles to and from the river and nearby parking garages.

this sounds a little like a mish-mash of probables, maybes and hopefuls- a concrete set of plans to move people in and out of the 25 000 seat stadium is essential IMO- i dont think that MLS HQ would accept this statement encouraging for any new expansion city... but it is beckham so common sense can be twisted, just like the $25 mill fee- the new owners must be pissed at this deal when they know they have cities willing to pay 6-8 times more

UCFWayne repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United's stadium in DC won't even have on-site parking for the team or any staff.

10. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CrazyJ628 and UCFWayne repped this.
  11. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Cincinnati to unveil stadium plans at Woodward Theater
    Cincinnati.com

Could be a BIG boost to their expansion race, especially if it's at a desirable location in their city-centre

12. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
  13. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Nashville wins the next expansion franchise announcement. Turns out Nashville was dead last in this vote :thumbsup: Congrats to all 9 people who got it right!

14. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Told y’all. I’ve been saying it for a long time.

15. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    So what? You want a cookie?

16. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes. Oatmeal raisin.

flippin269 repped this.
  17. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    You'll get a freshly squeezed cowpatty and like it.

18. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure I said Nashville and Sacramento, but I'm doubting Sacramento because of ownership issues.
    Honestly I don't think they have a logical choice at this point. If Cincy had a stadium solution wrapped up I guess I'd go with them, since the owners are billionaires and that's what it takes at this point to get in.

19. omniscientbeet

omniscientbeet New Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    IMO Sacramento gets it over Cincinatti, then Cincinatti and one of St. Louis or Detroit gets it in the next round to bring us to a nice round 28 (assuming Miami gets its shit together, which is quite an assumption.) If not Miami, then I guess it's up to Beckham. Las Vegas? LA 3? Who knows. I don't think Beckham even knows.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His contract option was used with Miami, he can't move his option.

(Now the MLS BoD could overrule the contract they gave him and allow him to move his option to another city, but I find that highly unlikely. They have him a $25 million option for team and teams are now going for over $100 million. They would rather lose Beckham and pickup an extra $100 million than let him move I think.)

21. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this has been talked about before but:
    I wonder if his option is transferable? Not a bad piece of business if he can flip a 25mill investment to possibly 200mill or more just to sell the "right" he has.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it has been determined it isn't.

(Now there's nothing to say he couldn't start the team and once the team is started be "bought out" for a high price)

ChrizG13 repped this.