The "New" will MacMillan make the Olys? thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tigercub, May 5, 2004.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Why is it so hard to understand?

Identity is not meaningless. People bring all sorts of biases to the table when they post on bigsoccer. Those biases are based on who you are and who you know/are related to, as well as tons of other factors. You seem to get a bit upset when someone makes a crack about Mac's weight. I'm not too sure why this would upset you so much. You seem to know for a fact that weight is not an issue, yet you still can't let it go. Your relationship with Mac (whatever it is, you're right, is none of my business) seems to guide your posts to be angry at someone who is merely expressing an opinion like Andy. To me that means that whomever you are, your identity is not meaningless to this discussion.

While I disagree with his opinion, I don't have any evidence to point to counter Andy's claims. If you have any evidence to oppose his viewpoint, maybe you should post yours instead of waiting for Andy to find his least attractive "fat-day" Mac shot.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Which is something I never do - except for Sigi Schmid, but that's because Sigi and MLS posters can handle the abuse. I learned long ago to tread much more lightly in the womens forums. One persons humor is another persons heresy. Plus I broke one of my own rules never to try to discuss a specific player with someone who bases their online persona on that same player. Absolutely no chance of objectivity there.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you're saying. I guess I was just thinking about it in different terms. I could see April deciding to put Mac on the roster as a rt mid/foward and cutting Wagner because she likes Tarpley better than Wagner and there isn't room for all three since Mia, CP and others can play an amid. I've never really thought of Mac as the a-mid in any situation. Has she actually played there for the nats? I figured there are too many other options; Wagner, Tarpley, Mia, Hucles, Foudy, CP have all played there but I've never seen Mac do it.

O'Reilly played up top for the U-19s and for UNC. I could be mistaken but I think she's always come in as a forward for her WNT caps, too. Isn't that where all the "next Mia" crap* comes from...

*I hate the X young player is the NEXT Y great player hype. Let each develop their own skills.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True. That is why I made the Jovan/Landon comment.

My bad. I was trying to be funny and failed. If I have to explain the joke, I'm not funny. Was ABMOD or the popcorn comment that was the problem?

Back when Richie Williams was getting a number of call ups to MNT camps, many of his detractors were upset. Rightly or wrongly, he got a lot of abuse. One of the "nicknames" stuck, Ankle Biting Midget Of Death.

The popcorn/show comment was the back and forth between Andy and MightyMac. (Sorry Andy).

edited to respond to ttrevett's cross post: Hey! some of us can take the heat! :D

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who do you mean, some of us?

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, your reply to Andy's comment about treading softly in the women's forums led me to make assumptions about your opinions such as some women might not look kindly upon the sort of extra harsh critism and/or smack of some of the other forums were it directed at their personal faves. I must need more caffine. I'm just not expressing myself well, today--and to other Chapel Hillians, too shakes head

8. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    O'Reilly is a Striker with UNC and was in HS and PDA.

Andy, your stated your opinion, that is all you can do.

Ape will answer all the questions soon enough.

Don't forget, she can be off all the rosters for the friendly's and still make the final roster.

I personally think this damaged the US in the WWC. SHe should have one team set by now and be deciding on possible subs, not starting players who have not been on the team.

Even though they beat Mexico and Brazil, these are not the same teams that will be in the Olympics.

9. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999

10. Re: Why is it so hard to understand?

OK, this is it for now as we are just running around in a circle.

I do not take pictures of the team, I merely go and watch their practices. I am not part of press, nor do I bring a box of things to have signed and a camera to remember the moment...although, there is nothing wrong with either. I am basing my argument purely on seeing the girls train with my own eyes as recently as last week. Next time I may bring a camera for cases like this, haha.

As to Andy's comment about breaking the rule of discussing a player with someone who's screenname is in reference to that person, I can see what he means, and I agree to some point. Although, I am not exactly the same. Yes, I defend Shannon, no doubt. Yet I don't think I do it blindly. I never say "you are mean and stupid, and MACKIE ROXX!" no, never. Maybe when I was younger, but not of the recent years. Haha ;) 99.9% of the time I back up my argument with evidence and facts. As you can see I have been around here since '99, and before that I was a frequent poster at WWContheWWW and I have never been given a referral or been bad-mouthed amongst the boards. I love the Women's National Team. I love soccer. I have been playing since the age of 5 and was only recently stopped by doctor's orders due to a case of CFS. I sat in the rain and cold At the Gold Cup when Shannon didn't even play, and I cheered just as loud. I traveled to Columbus to watch the WNT lose to Canada in 2000 and I cheered equally for each of our girls, I flew to KY in the humidity and heat and yelled for the US to score just once more, and I drove down to SD (6 hours roundtrip) for a number of Spirit games that Shannon wasn't even playing in due to injury. I admire Mia Hamm's abilities, I think Brandi Chastain is superb and creative, I am excited about Cat Reddick's Potential, and I think Heather O'Reilly is fun to watch. I never shoot down a player minus the rare occasion where I have solid proof that they are not performing (Examples: Wagner right now, and the Entire Atlanta Beat during WUSA season ;)) And I never down-size the team in order to make Mac look better. I am one of the first to admit when she doesn't execute or perform, and I am one of the first to stand up for her. So while I totally understand having a rule such as Andy's, I would like to think I am the exception.

Goodbye for now, it's been interesting.

(Thanks DW)

11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Indeed it has. It's more a "guideline" than a "rule" Your initial statements seemed a bit more measured than emotional, which is probably why I responded in the first place.

13. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    "I've never really thought of Mac as the a-mid in any situation. Has she actually played there for the nats? I figured there are too many other options; Wagner, Tarpley, Mia, Hucles, Foudy, CP have all played there but I've never seen Mac do it."

Shannon MacMillan has been a midfielder for the National Team many times, primarily under Tony Dicicco. I think he used to play the 3-4-3 formation a lot and Mac was a flank mid. Anyway, she is a capable mid: good field vision, has a long shot, is able to pass the ball accurately, can dissposess, good work rate etc. I think she would be a good midfield option. I can't recall if she has ever been a central mid--that could be interesting. With all the "Biggin's" up front (Abby, CP, Welsh, O'Reilly) plus Hamm, I don't see her gaining a forward spot on the team. But could she come in for Foudy or Tarpley or Lilly or Chulupny or...Wagner...?

That first paragraph isn't mine; sorry the yellow "quote" box didn't show up for some reason.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said that. I know Mac has been used as a flank mid, particularly on the right. I agree that she has, in the past, been a good midfield option on the right. She could be a good option there now.

However, I think different skills and abilities are needed for an a-mid. I've never seen Mac play that position in a game and I don't know that I really think she's even option #5 for the amid.

As for all those big girls, I just can't see all three (Abby, CP, Welsh) making the Olympic roster. I don't see O'Reilly, Mac, Mia, Tarpley competing for the same sort of spot as the three bigs.

15. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Sorry I guess I don't know what an "a-mid" or "amid" as you say, is, or it's just not a term I use. Do you just mean a starting midfielder, as in "A team" vs. "B team?"

16. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    April is so cryptic...

I just went back a few pages and found that post from Tsunami; April in the Union Tribune regarding MacMillan being on the bubble.
    "Three months from the Olympics, the expectations are that her impact would be greater than those with less experience." "She has plenty of time to respond, and I'm glad we're having these candid dicussions now instead of July."
    So, is it April and Mac, or April and Mark Zeigler (from the Tribune) that's having these "candid dicussions?"

17. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-mid=Attacking Midfielder

18. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Oh, duh, sorry. But I've never really gotten that, an "Attacking Midfielder"...seems to me every midfielder "attacks"--they are part of the offense. Anyway, the central mids are the a-mids? No, I don't think Mac has ever played there. Guess it's to late to try her out at central midfield.

19. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002

20. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

let see how many mdfielders that this sport has : Holding Mid, Center Mid, Attacking Mid, 2 flank Mids, Defensive Mid, Sleeping Mid, Sexy Mid.