~the New Captain~

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Jul 21, 2004.

1. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK, after reading this thread for the past couple of days, here is my considered opinion.

I would do it in two stages. This season coming I would make Bergkamp captain and appoint Cole vice captain. Bergkamp is the senior professional, has the respect of all the players, management and fans, both within Arsenal and of other clubs. He is well used to dealing with the media, articulate and a model professional. His last season or not, he's an ideal stopgap captain. Cole's appointment would be a stepping stone to becoming captain in the 2005-2006 season. He's young so he'll be around for a long time, was brought through the ranks by Arsenal and to me already is something of a leader on the pitch. He leads both by his commitment on the pitch and he's not afraid to cajole those around him, senior players or not. Knowing he would be stepping up the following year would also allow him to get the more unsavoury parts of his game in order and also give him some experience of captaining the side when Dennis isn't playing.

I lean away from Campbell for a couple of reasons. First, I'm not sure he would want it. After skippering Spurs I don't think he wants to wind their fans up any more, I would point to him not joining in the celebrations on the pitch at White Hart Lane when we won the championship there in May for evidence of this. Second, he doesn't seem to me to be a real motivator of men, he's more of a quiet type who does his job solidly and unspectacularly (which, by the way, is just how I like my centre backs). I don't think he inspires the other players by eyecatching play (as Vieira can sometimes) or with words (as Tony Adams used to). This quietness wouldn't be ideal for dealing with the media either, an important part of the job.

2. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    after reading this it seems my whole Sol arguement may be thrown out of the window! He Better not leave we need him.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/july/englisnews4230704.html

Why are our players being linked away when we have such a good chance of ECL success if they all stay together?

3. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    media boredom

4. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    We must be watching different players, because the Sol I see is always shouting..

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the heat of a game you expect your centre backs to be pointing and shouting because they can see where players are running free. Thaty's just normal communication within a game. That's a whole different thing from motivating the team before or during a game. Anyone can clap their hands and shout "come on lads", but a good captain knows how to motivate each of his team-mates.

6. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Oh ok, I thought you meant on the pitch..

7. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    i have to agree with that plan... campbell could work but i have my doubts and anyway, there's this ************ing juventus thing now, right...!!! god almighty, why are our players doing this?! we won they premier league! what do they want?? the least they can do is give AW one more season. if we still don't go further in CL then fine, leave. i wouldn't blame them then. but to leave now... it's not fair. and it's just not right.

:(

8. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    stop worrying it's just speculations..

9. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    well, yeah i know right now it's just speculation BUT keep in mind that was how the whole beckham-real thing started too.... MU fans kept saying it would never happen, etc.

the thing with soccer is, it's just totally unpredictable. anyway, nothing to be done 'bout it. so i'll shut up now.

10. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    It was Fergies idea to sell Beckham.

11. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    was it? i thought becks wanted to leave b'coz he hated fergie. i mean, he loved the team but he couldn't get along with the red-nosed idiot so he left? i don't know.. that's what i heard. plus, of course the ever thoughtful posh wanted the spanish sun...

anyway, don't mean to piss u off in any way. just wondering...

12. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Becks never hated Fergie, or that feeling never came across in anything that I read. It seemed like Sir Red-Nose wanted him out because the Beckham was becoming bigger than he could control.

13. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    i think it was a mutual disliking, and the incident after we beat them in the fa cup with the "flying boot" was when ferguson decided he wanted become gone. As for beckham not hating ferguson - apparantly after ferguson "kicked" that boot at him Beckham properlly went for him and had to be restrained by team mates.

I don't think they liked each other at all. And when Ferguson dislikes them he just isolates them out of the side. Like he did with bosnich and has been doing with nicky butt

14. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    duffy is quite the firestarter~ oh and he knows everything~

15. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Well, if one of my friends kicked something and it hit me in the face, I would go after him. I might even have to be restrained. It's not like I hate him all of a sudden, just want to get him back.

16. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Beckham never wanted to leave Manchester..

17. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    ya MT goes to the same hairdresser as beckham....

18. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    C'mon, guys, let's not have to close this thread, too.

19. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think it would really matter if Bergkamp is probably not going to be around for long? I think I would like to see him captain. I just remember vividly when in the beginning of the season I was pretty down on him and then he had that one game where he put on the captain's armband and scored his first goal. Seemed to jump start him. If not him then I'd go with Sol.

20. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its called job security Coach!

21. sokkerluver

sokkerluver Red Card

Jul 22, 2004
    Chicago,Illinois,USA
    HE IS STAYING!!!!

And congrats for getting Eddie George!!

22. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    who will be our captain now?

who do you think should be our new captain?

23. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    who will be our captain now

who do u think will be our next captain?

24. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  25. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    Re: who will be our captain now?

jeffers