~the New Captain~

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Jul 21, 2004.

1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    well, as it appears Mr Vieira is seeking the warmth of the Spanish Capital...
    who will wear the Captain's armband?? my logical choice would be Sol Campbell.. of course, God has tenure and would make sense, however, he wont play in all the games... Henry does his leadership by his play... what are the thoughts of all us devoted followers?

2. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you Phishy-seems to me that Sol is the most logical choice. Henry leads by play for sure and Bergie probably won't be with us past this season.....

3. slipnslide

slipnslide New Member

May 23, 2004
    SecretCity,Tennessee
    I saw a report linking Campbell to some Italian teams, and we all know what happened the last time he captained a team. He has 8 more months on his contract, and will supposedly have to take a pay cut to stay. Bergkamp probably wouldn't see enough match action. For me, Henry is the most logical choice.

4. CA_Gooner

CA_Gooner Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Fallbrook, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sol Campbell seems the natural choice.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  6. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Sol is most natural choice for a long term captian.

7. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Henry
    Pires
    Lehmann
    Campbell

8. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sol Campbell

Ashley Cole (youth team product, Arsenal in his blood)

Thierry Henry

9. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    VIEIRA. Honestly, I can't come to terms with him not being there....yet.

10. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Lauren...or EDU

11. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Ashley Cole. Arsenal through and through, determined & 100% committed. Sure to be one club man as well.

12. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    coles a bit young for me i dont think he is captain material yet to be honest, maybe in the nex couple of years but not yet.

13. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Is Dennis Bergkamp not deserved of such an honour? I think he is due. He is a definantely a presence on the pitch. It would be great in his final year.

14. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    I don't think that anybody is disputing that he is deserving. It's the fact that this is almost certainly his final year and we're looking for a captain that will be here for a while.

15. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Not too mention one that will play the majority of our games we'll miss Bergkamp for a minimum of 3 games in Europe anyway.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've got four choices in mind, in no specific order all these would make great captains in their own right:

Campbell
    Pires
    Henry
    Lehman

Bergkamp certainly deserves it but he's got one year left and he won't be starting every game either. The captain must be on the pitch all the time, or at least as much as possible.

17. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    I don't think that Lehmann would be a good choice as he lets his emotions get to him. I was serious about Lauren. I think he would make a better captain than Lehmann as he has been here longer and he rarely loses his cool. In fact the only time I've seen him flip out was at OT.

18. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    to me, he has a bit of psycho in him... Cole would be another excellent choice as he bleeds arsenal~

19. slipnslide

slipnslide New Member

May 23, 2004
    SecretCity,Tennessee
    After Cole excelled at Euro2004, if he has a stellar year this year, it could definitely be a possibility.

20. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Well, if I had to make my "Top 5 Choices To Replace Vieira As Captain", they would be:

1. Campbell (Obvious choice)
    2. Henry (Great leader by example)
    3. Cole (As phishy says "he bleeds Arsenal")
    4. Lauren (Seems solid in every area and not as psychotic as Lehmann)
    5. Pires (Can sometimes lose heart if we are down a goal or two. Still a solid player who leads by example and is always positive)

21. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    IMO, Lehmann should be nowhere near that list. He doesn't command any respect from the opposition. He's not an Arsenal man, in that he doesn't quite know what it is to be Arsenal man and i don't think he could really command the same respect of the players in the current squad knowing that he hasn't been around for that long. To my mind Cole would make the perfect captain on the pitch, he strong, he's resolute, he's a winner and to a large extent a leader. He's also disliked by opposition fans and players and comes across as a nasty. But from what i understand he's too nice a guy in person and i'm not so sure he's ready to take on a role as important as that just yet. But if i were to choose anyone it would be him.

I'm not convinced about Campbell as a captain, he's done it before for Spurs' and i suppose he has all the experience you would want. But he doesn't strike me as real leader of men. He leads by example but how vocal is he really? He seems like a nice guy too.

I think Henry would be a good compromise at the moment. He has the respect & profile, the character, the ability & the leadership qualities. I think his moody attitude could be channelled constructively into rousing his teammates to raise their game.

22. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    is that the thing bout him bein scared of flying? if it is then thats some bull and bergkamps a bitch

23. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Wouldn't expect anything less from a guy named "HalfNelson."

24. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    "VE ARE HERE TO PUMP...*clap*...YOU UP!

25. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    well, its godawful to even think about anyone but vieira but i guess we have to anyway.... *SIGH* :(

so here's my opinion. after a couple more years, Cole would definitely make a fantastic captain as someone pointed out he "bleeds" arsenal, etc. the guy is great but
    1)he's young and
    2)he does seem a bit too nice... but who knows? he might grow into it..

anyway, for now, i guess it would have to be campbell, but i have my doubts about him...

NEVER lehmann though!!! :eek:

much as i love pires and henry, not captain material. and bergkamp would be good 'cept for his whole lying thing and he'll be leaving soon, right.

anyway, just wondering. would it be possible for vieira's replacement to be captain?? ppl r saying gerard, etc...

what do u guys think?