The NEW Barcelona players on International Duty Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Draw is Dec. 12th. Predraw odds from shortest to longest: via http://www.oddschecker.com/football/euro-2016/winner

Germany & host France each 3.5:1
    Spain 6
    Belgium 11
    England (cough cough) 12
    Italy 18
    Portugal 25
    Croatia 33
    Austria 50
    Poland 66
    Wales, Switzerland, Russia, Sweden 80:1
    Czech Rep, Iceland, Ukraine 85
    Turkey 100
    Rep. of Ireland 125
    Slovakia 175
    Romania 200
    N. Ireland 300
    Hungary & Albania 500

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good odds for Portugal and Croatia. I know Croatia hasn't looked good for a while now, but they have the talent. Pretty sure neither Portugal or Croatia can win, but based on those odds I assume they're around 13:1 & 17:1 for just reaching the final. Not bad for 2 teams that - given an average draw - would probably be favored to advance to the quarters. With a lucky draw they'd even be favored in their quarterfinal match too.

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I neglected to mention Korea in my last post above, they may take one or more of our La Masia stars to they Olympics too. Lee the biggest star to likely feature though he just debuted for Barca B.

But came here to revive this moribund thread and to mention Busquets return to Barca as he has a broken finger (suffered I only just learned against Eibar), curious now as to Spain formation. Does Spain still play all double pivot all the time, and, if so couldn't that see Roberto play next to Xabi now that Busquets is gone. So many questions as I have not followed La Furia so closely in the last year or so. http://www.sport-english.com/en/new...turn-barcelona-and-not-play-for-spain-4995714

Other big international news is Suarez finally returning after well over 1.5 years banished from international matches for Uruguay. And, unlike in Europe where Euro 2016 is all set and they play friendlies, the South American fixtures are meaningful.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, its the first time this season that all 3 of MSN are involved in qualifiers. In fact, only Neymar has played any qualifiers so far this season, and he missed half of them due to that suspension. Hopefully they can stay healthy but these will be rough games. Argentina is playing on some chewed-up pitch in Cordoba rather than the usual field in La Plata or the Monumental. And of course Suarez and Neymar go head-to-head tomorrow. :speechless:

6. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, at least our hardworking mids are getting rested (albeit due to injuries, but not big ones it seems), but MSN don't rest for club or country, their internationals are meaningful (and continue till something like October of 2017, good lord), and involve huge travel. Sport broke it down comparing the travel of MSN with the travel/nontravel of BBC pre Clasico:

The MSN will arrive at the Clasico with a lot more problems on that front than the BBC. Cristiano Ronaldo is the only one of the Madrid trio called up. Portugal play two games, one in their country then one in Belgium. In the worst case scenario for Madrid, he'll play in both, but they are short trips and it's easy for him to get back to Madrid. The second game could even be cancelled, depending on what is happening in the country regarding the terror attacks.

Benzema and Bale have not been called up. The former for problems - the Valbuena case - and the latter, among other things, because he's just become a father for the second time.

The MSN's situation is very different. In principle, they will all play two times. All of the games are in South America and there will be long voyages there and back. Messi plays with Argentina in Santiago against Chile, before returning to his country to face Bolivia in Cordoba. Suarez plays in Recife, Brazil, against that country, then Montevideo for Uruguay's home match, while Neymar features against Suarez in that first game, then in Asuncion, vs Paraguay.

According to Xavier Lemus of TV3, that's 62,352 between the Barcelona players, and just 882km for Madrid's, if Belgium v Portugal is cancelled. Luis Enrique is likely only to have his star trio back on Friday before Saturday's Clasico. A very different situation to Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid.

http://www.sport-english.com/en/new...much-more-tired-than-real-madrids-bbc-4999051

7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 Argentina away at Chile - halftime.

8. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match ended 2-1.

9. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suarez with the equalizer vs Brazil!

2-2 after 51'.

10. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game ended 2-2.

Neymar got a yellow card, so he is suspended vs Paraguay. Blessing in disguise for us.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yikes! That was only his 3rd match in these qualifiers. He must have picked-up a yellow in every match to warrant a suspension already!? But yeah good for Barca and good because it clears his record to play against Colombia in the next int'l break. :sneaky:

How bad is Dunga though? Couldn't find a way to beat Uruguay playing with a makeshift defense in Recife! Not only did they not win but Uruguay was the only team in it for the last 20 minutes. Suarez missing a 1-on-1 with Alisson in the 85th minute. :cry:

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    2 bookings = suspension in FIFA qualifying.

F1 (A) Chile : did not play
    F2 (H) Venezuela : did not play
    F3 (A) Argentina : played 90 minutes, no booking
    F4 (H) Peru : yellow card
    F5 (H) Uruguay : yellow card

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Btw, Bravo picked up a yellow against Argentina, his second of qualifying. First was against Colombia. So he'll also get some rest before El Clasico :sneaky: miss out on Tuesday's qualifiers. :(

ShortyMac repped this.
  14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Four weeks before the 2014 World Cup Luis Suarez had surgery on his meniscus.

In the match against England Suarez scored two crucial goals.
    After the first goal he celebrated by hugging an elderly man.

[​IMG]

This was Walter Ferreira, the Uruguayan team physio who worked with Suarez to get his knee ready for the tournament.
    Ferreira was going through chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin lymphoma when he put his own treatment on hold to help Suarez recover in time for the tournament.
    Uruguayans referred to the 62 year old as the 'Miracle Man'.

This past January 3 Ferreira lost his battle with cancer.

"Today, we lost more than a friend… He was a fighter who, day by day, not only fought for himself, but for everyone else. I'm never going to forget what you did for me, because you taught me many things in life and of which I hold today. 'Thank you for giving me the opportunity to play a World Cup. Thank you for everything that you gave to soccer and thank you for what a great human being who you were."

Ahead of his return to the national team, Suarez said on Monday that he would dedicate his first goal to Ferreira.

He netted the equalizer Friday against Brazil.

[​IMG]

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wow! That's ridiculous! A tournament that's 18 matches long and you get suspended every two yellows? :confused::rolleyes:

16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vermaelen played in Belgium match
    Mathieu played - left due to injury
    Ter Stegen played for Germany.

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #342 morrissey, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Arda played and scored for Turkey.

18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Messi converts penalty for Argentina.

Let me repeat that: Messi CONVERTS PENALTY for Argentina against Bolivia.

:eek:

19. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His 50th goal for ARG. Batistuta, their all-time scorer, has 56.

20. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Messi:

He suffered bruises to his ribs and lower back, but nothing is broken. Apparently, the lumbar injury is deep and was close to being a fracture, but it isn't. Phew.

evil_allan repped this.
  22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #347 Gilmango, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    OK, since I am odds guy, here are the Euro top 10:
    France 3.2:1
    Germany 4.5
    Spain 5.5
    England 9
    Belgium 11
    Italy 18
    Portugal 22
    Croatia 29
    Austria 40
    Poland 50
    next are Swiss, Russia, Wales, Turkey (80), Sweden, Ukrain, Cz, Ice, Slov, R Ire., Rom, Hun, N. Ire and Alb.

In Copa America:
    Argentina: 1.875:1
    Brazil 5.5
    Col 8
    Chile 8
    Mex 9
    Uru 10
    USA 22
    Ecua 33
    then big drop off to Para, CR, Peru, etc.

For my money (not that I gamble) Arg odds are too short but they are the solid fave, I'd just avoid or take a flier on Brazil with better odds and no expectations.

In Euro, France seems too favored at home, I'd prefer the better odds on Germany or Spain or take a flier on Italy.

23. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi arrived early this morning in California to train with ARG, but he is still doubtful to play Chile on Monday.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Gotta feel for Suarez last night. He was in sheer agony on the bench during that match against Venezuela (literally on the bench, but officially not on the bench/not available due to injury). I guess kinda good for Barca since Suarez should now be healthy and rested when pre-season starts for his club. Not terrible for Uruguay either because qualifying for the World Cup is what really matters in the end.

What's interesting is the huge contrast between Suarez and Neymar during this tournament. Neymar taking selfies with Justin Beiver (sp?) acting like a goof off the field and diving all over the place on the field. Suarez goes to sit on the bench to be there for his teammates and cheer them on, an example which is replicated when he's on the field.

Just ironic that Suarez is the one hated by the general public because of 3 isolated incidents in his career, while others get away with being a dick 3 times a day....

Anyway, that's your 'fluffy-butt Friday food for thought'

Friday fluffy butt.jpg

Viscaelbarca and ShortyMac repped this.
  25. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #350 ShortyMac, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Messi subbed in in the second half vs Panama, scores the 2-0. His 51st ARG goal in 109 caps.

EDIT:

78' - FK goal from 24 yds out. Brace. 3-0.

EDIT AGAIN:

Hat-trick. 4-0. 53.

Messi ---> Rojo ---> Agüero

5-0.

morrissey repped this.