1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I really think she left because she was guaranteed more game time with Wolfsburg.

There is an interview coming up today with her on Arseblog by Tim, so there will be some info in it. She was quite emotional ( I was interviewing another player next to them at the time).

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I saw the article on Bloodworth on Arseblog. That is a good site--I have seen it before but not read much on it--and he did an excellent job with that piece. Well done. I'm interested to see where other Dutch players end up as I read that Groenen is leaving Frankfurt, and Van Veenendaal needs to find a new club as well. Someone here reported that Roord might be headed to Arsenal. That might be a nice switch for her--but would she play more for Arsenal than she did for BM? She wouldn't start, that's for sure. Hope they all find good situations for them!

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    blissett repped this.
  4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Roord might very well enjoy the situation at Arsenal--very good coach, very good team, plus two other Dutch NT teammates on the squad--but otherwise seems a bit of an odd move by both her and the Gunners, IMO.

In other news, the U17 women's team beat Spain today in the Euro19 semifinal, 3-1, and will now face Germany for the title. The two faced each other a few days ago in the group stage, with The Netherlands winning that match, 3-2.

I saw the first 40 minutes of today's game and the Dutch looked pretty dire--Spain dominated possession and had a couple of decent/good chances that they failed to convert while the Dutch sat back mostly and struggled to keep the ball. It seemed apparent that if the Dutch were going to win, it would have to be off of counter-attacks, and that is pretty much what happened.

I took a break and came back at the 61' mark and the Dutch were leading 2-0! Couldn't believe it. The Netherlands scored first, late in the first half, against the run of play, off a Dutch goal kick. A Spanish player flicked the ball back toward her own goal and De Keijzer, a forward, beat two defenders to the ball, managed to get in front of them and then cooly slotted her shot past the Spanish keeper for the 1-0 lead. At the 60' mark, the Dutch pushed forward, with forward Brughts controlling the ball around the top of the 18-yard box. She saw Stiekema break forward, lobbed the ball deftly toward her at the top of the 8-yard-box, and Stiekema managed to beat defensive pressure and flick the ball with her foot past the Spanish keeper for a surprising 2-0 lead.

Spain pressed for the next 20+ minutes but could not do much against the resilient, physical Dutch defense, and then around the 83' mark or so the scoring star Troop burst down the pitch on a counter, took a touch around the last defender and beat the keeper with an impressive finish to the far post to seal the victory. Spain scored in stoppage time to make the result a bit more respectable--and in truth Spain probably deserved a little better. Their wingers gave the Dutch outside backs (Abily and Van Deman) fits all day and sent a lot of crosses into the box, but Spain couldn't convert until it was too late. The Spaniards hit the crossbar twice--and had another shot nearly go in when it hit the inside of the left post and then roll all the way across the goal mouth. Whew! Great win. The final promises to be a tough, tight affair, and let's hope the Dutch U17s can win their first big Euro title.

5. That will teach you to take your eyes off our sexy Orange legs:ROFLMAO:

VolklP19 repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I forgot to mention that De Keijzer went out with what may be a serious knee injury moments after she opened the scoring. After play was resumed, she challenged a Spain player with a little lunge, seemed to land awkwardly after bumping the opponent and her left knee (I think it was the left) buckled and she went down. She seemed in a lot of pain. I have to think she's hurt a ligament; best case, it might be a knee sprain, but she is surely out of the final. Tough luck for her.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    German clubs don't pay that much. It's a reason why the Bundesliga has lost several marquee international players over the years. Wolfsburg might be the only club to pay decently as even though they lost Caro & Fisher, they still retain the one, two offensive punch of Pajor & Harder.

the highest paid salary on record in the Bundi is Mandy Islacker of Bayern Munich & that's about 100K Euros(slightly more than dollars) an year. I doubt they pay hire for foreigners. In comparison Lyon(and perhaps some English clubs)salaries are in the 2-300K range.

One fact of life though is whatever salary a decent foreign women's player makes, it's probably not enough to compensate to live for example in ultra expensive London. So most woso players are stuck in living in college style dorms provided by the pro clubs, which can get old as players mature. But then again, wild rumours are circulating that after the season, Barca's going to offer up to 1 miilion Euros for Ada & Majri)of Lyon), so perhaps things will change......

don't know much about Bloodworth(cept for the cool name!), what nationality is her husband(or is it wifey) from?(as most English names usually tend to be bland).

L'orange repped this.
  8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The U17s lose in the Euro final to Germany on penalty kicks. It's too bad the Dutch couldn't bring the trophy home after having such a good tournament (and beating Germany in the group stage), but the players should be encouraged. The lost on PKs 3-2, having missed four straight to end the contest. That will get you beat every time--and let's hope the senior team works on PKs in training camp as it's very likely some matches will come down to them in the World Cup. I remember the Dutch men's NT losing to Argentina on PKs in, what, 2014? Sux. It's time to win on PKs.

In any case, Tromp is a player to watch--attacking midfielder who can score. I think she had 6 goals in the tourney (including one in the final): Saw her in the Spain win; she has a sturdy build, seems to have good ball skills and is a good finisher. After her I'm not sure who really stood out--maybe the forward Brugts (sp), who had a strong game against Spain.

blissett repped this.
  9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I just read that ManU has signed Jackie Groenen. Or maybe I should say that the club intends to sign her, apparently, as it has announced that she has signed a "pre-contract agreement" to play for Manchester United next season. I'm not sure if it will be a one-year deal or more--I would hope at least two--but I think this is a good move for her and for ManU, and in fact I said recently that I thought ManU would be a good destination for some Dutch NT players who've been on other squads.

Is Beerensteyn staying at BM? Will be interesting to see what other moves happen. Van Veenendaal needs a new club, too.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting each morning with a smile, playing Wij Zijn Nederland!

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Dutch play Australia on Saturday in the last pre-WC match for both teams. It should be a tough test--assuming the starters on both sides play at least a half, if not longer--and one that The Netherlands needs, IMO, as it hasn't played any of the top WC contenders in quite a while. The team should benefit from playing a good, physical, athletic team like Australia, with a world-class forward like Kerr, and we should get a sense of how the centerbacks might hold up against top forwards in the tournament. I expect Van der Gragt to get quite a bit of playing time in this match, as she needs it if she is going to help defensively in the WC.

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if and where the game will be streamed?

13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I have not seen anything yet. There is a Dutch network/service that streams their games but I think it is pay as I've looked into it in the past; I'll try and find the name. Fox Sports in Australia is broadcasting the game but I doubt I can get it here in America. There is another Australia service that will livestream the match--if you go to Mathildas.com you will find the name, but I get a sense it will require registration and/or pay. I'm going to check it out tomorrow as I very much want to see this game. I haven't had much luck with The Netherlands, which sux as I'm a fan: there were livestreams of the Dutch WC qualifying playoff matches with Denmark and Switzerland--but they were provided by the Danes and the Swiss!

CoachJon repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Veronica TV is showing Saturday's game in the Netherlands, according to gids.tv, but that channel's video player seems really bad/blocked.

The World Cup is on the Dutch national broadcaster NOS.

L'orange repped this.
  15. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Which is good cos they showed this
    LIVE: De huldiging van Oranje (2017), Youtube
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] Big attendance tonight, possibly a 'record' :cautious:

L'orange repped this.
  16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2:30 1sr half Raso and Van Es collided. Van Es injured her hand. Tears while waiting to go back in after having it taped up. Back in, but it looks like she will get subbed off.
    ....can’t say where I found the stream, sorry. But if I did you can....
    Van Es off at 11:00.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Do say...I want to watch this match.

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    1-0 Netherlands Van de Sanden.

Australia can play some good football and create chances but allso kicked the Dutch players throughout the first half. Only one booking. Dutch have started retaliating now. This is not good so close to the world cup start

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out post #83 in the World Cup anticipation news thread for a search link.

20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think it is a stretch to say without qualification, Netherlands starting 11 can beat any NT in the world. I don’t think they have the bench strength to last the whole tournament.

blissett repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    van de Sanden's the mvp of the game but got to impressed with the way Miedema scored her's

looks like they got their magic back from during the Euros. The only question now is if they peaked too early

blissett and kolabear repped this.
  22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Dutch don't have a lot of bench strength, to be sure, but I'd argue that bench strength is overrated in a tournament. Certainly, any favorite will want to get up by a goal or, preferably, two in the early group-stage matches and get some of your key players out at the 70' minute mark or so and keep them reasonably fresh. (You can bet that Elllis will be pulling Rapinoe and Heath early against Thailand and Chile, for example, and Wiegman will likewise want to rest Martens and Van de Sanden and someone else.) Then maybe you assess how to line up in game 3, which might determine whether you finish 1st or 2nd in the stage. If you have leads in group matches, you can bring in subs and still win. Certainly, Beerensteyn will get minutes at forward in the group stage for The Netherlands and they will lose little--she is talented. In the knockout stages you play your best players and see how the game unfolds.

This was just the match the Dutch needed--one against a good, strong, athletic team, and The Netherlands will draw confidence from it. It's a talented team. I loved that little effort play by Groenen to get the ball to Miedema for the second goal, and the finish was what we've come to expect from the Dutch striker. I had to smile after Van de Sanden missed that open header off the corner in the first half; Miedema was right beside her and in a position to head that ball herself, and I'm sure Miedema, for a second, had the thought: "If I'd taken that ball, we'd be up a goal." But then VDS more than made up for that miss with two outstanding finishes herself.

I hope Van Es has not broken her wrist--she is an important player for The Netherlands. But it was a very rash and overly aggressive challenge by her; she was not in a position to head the ball and shouldn't have gone charging into the Australia player--a bad decision. I think she was just too stoked to start the game. Let's hope she is not seriously hurt. It looked like she hurt both her head and her wrist.

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Van Es has a broken bone in her left hand--a mentacarpal fracture. Not sure how severe and whether she'll be able to play in the WC. I think it is possible-- I've seen players on the pitch with a cast on a hand--but we'll have to wait and see.

One big positive for the Dutch today was that Van der Gragt played 80+ minutes at centerback. That was big as she needed real game time against a good opponent. She and Bloodworth could yet make an effective pairing in the back.

sbahnhof, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This brings back memories of the 1978 WC when the Argentines objected to a soft cast on van der Kirchoff's hand and delayed the game for a while while a decision was made. He had worn the cast without objection in the earlier matches.

blissett repped this.