Not open for further replies.
  1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the replay. Jill Roord & van de Donk start but no Miedema
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=L8s3lUmUBmo

so far, English teams suck, I mean lopsided losses to Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U all happened this last week

2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Thanks for replay.

Yea, Arsenal played a funky lineup that wasn't even close to what its starting lineup will be. No Walti, no Nobbs, No Miedema, for starters. What's more, Montemurro started Beattie and Schnaderbeck at the centerback positions instead of normal starters Williamson (who started this match as a defensive mid, apparently) and Quinn, who did not start. Van de Donk played on the right wing; she has played wing before but she is by no means a winger. I'm not sold on some of the new Arsenal signings. I've only seen the early part of the match but Beattie has already given the ball away dangerously twice, and Maier (brought in from BM) hasn't much impressed me when I've seen her. I'm quite sure Arsenal will miss Bloodworth, who I assume was offered more money to play for Wolfsburg. I'll look to see how Roord plays in this match!

3. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yeah, not a great preseason for English teams.

Man Utd was an inexperienced team in its first official preseason match (without Greenwood, Groenen, McManus, and Earps getting any minutes) against a mid-season squad with Nchout having an exemplary match. That being said, it still wasn't a good result, and now, Greenwood's set to leave the club.

I haven't checked out the Wolfsburg-Arsenal match, but Wolfsburg is the second best club team in Europe with recent consecutive years of CL experience. Arsenal only just started to get back into real relevance this past season.

I also didn't catch the Montpelier-Chelsea match (I know, I'm a bad fan), but that indeed does not look like a good result even in preseason. (And now, Chelsea is down 5-0 to Bayern Munich. Yikes.)

I like that the FA WSL appears to be one of the most competitive leagues in women's football, but these preseason matches have indeed not been a good endorsement. I hope Man City and Arsenal do pretty well in the Champions League though.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #479 hotjam2, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    looks like Roord took Miedema's place as lone striker, but the service to her was so bad that she didnt get a single shot off. Last game(vs Batern Munich) they used Tabea Kemme in that spot, so wondering if Miedema is nursing an injury?
    well at least Bereensteyn got a hat trick yesterday vs Chelsea, but got to wonder about the English pre season preparation style; these are lopsided scores, everybody seems to be a step ahead of them, Arsenal actually looked better vs BM just a week before. Could add that Liverpool only managed a draw vs an WPSL club over this summer.

Well today we'll see how the Dutch league is doing as it's SGS Essen vs Ajax

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arsenal played in a 4-1-4-1 Zinsberger; Evans, Beattie, Schnaderbeck, Veje; Williamson; Van De Donk, Roord, Little, McCabe; Mead swithcing to 3-4-3 in attacking position with Williamson dropping alongside the two center-backs.

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Martens and Van Es will miss The Netherlands EU Championship qualifying matches early September against Estonia and Turkey. Martens is still rehabilitating her injured toe--no word on when she might be back to full health--and Van Es has some sort of knee injury. I wasn't aware of Van Es's knee injury, which may explain why she didn't play in the World Cup after the Cameroon game, though I never saw any mention of it. The Dutch should be OK without them, let's hope.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  8. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    She didn't start after the Cameroon game, but she did have a very short cameo against Japan, entering just before the PK call.

9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Thanks. From the brief Everton announcement, it sounds like she might be having an arthroscopic procedure that won't keep her out too long.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  10. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Dutch beat overmatched Estonia today in Euro '21 qualification, 7-0. Miedema and Spitse with two goals each, I believe, with Roord, Bloodworth and Ellen Jansen netting the other three. Miedema apparently got hurt in the match--might have tweaked a hamstring, based on one word I picked up from the Dutch report on her injury. I hope it is only a slight pull, if that is what happened. Good win to start the next Euro qualifying campaign.

sbahnhof, Ethan Frank and blissett repped this.
  11. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Shouldn't affect the Dutch for the next match, but yeah, Arsenal will definitely be hoping that it's very minor.

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Miedema definitely tweaked her hamstring. It doesn't sound too bad, but no definitive word yet from the team. It's very unlikely that she will play on Tuesday against Turkey; as she said afterward, why risk it?

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to check to see whether something is true. I believe someone posted that there are not a lot of girls youth soccer teams in the Netherlands. If a girl has a serious desire to play, she needs to find a boys team that will accept her. Am I nuts, or is that generally the way things are?

14. That used to be the case. Now girls and women football is growing fast, but still far behind boys and men membership.
    For ambitious girls there still is the opportunity to chose for a boys team to compete at the highest level.

15. https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1756191979/wiegman-richt-blik-al-op-tokio-2020
    Wiegman richt blik al op Tokio 2020
    Updated 4 min geleden
    6 min geleden in VOETBAL

AMSTERDAM - Er is een nieuw tijdperk aangebroken voor de Oranje Leeuwinnen. Na twee succesvolle eindtoernooien wil Sarina Wiegman met haar ploeg richting Olympische Spelen in Tokio een nieuwe stap zetten. Aan de top komen is één, er blijven is twee. Gelukkig loopt de bondscoach niet weg voor een uitdaging.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Correct me if wrong, but I think many of the top players on The Netherlands national team grew up playing with boys. If you have some talent and passion, that is certainly a good way for a young female player to develop.

17. Yup. See my posted picture of Jacky Groenen.
    About Miedema:
    sc Heerenveen
    Miedema begon op vijfjarige leeftijd met voetbal bij HZVV te Hoogeveen, waar ze in jongenselftallen speelde. In 2009 stapte ze over naar een van de andere Hoogeveense voetbalverenigingen, VV de Weide. In 2011 maakte ze de overstap naar sc Heerenveen. Ze debuteerde op 2 september 2011 in de eerste speelronde van het seizoen 2011/12, waarmee ze op vijftienjarige leeftijd geschiedenis schreef als jongste debutante in de landelijke Eredivisie.[1] Haar eerste doelpunt maakte Miedema in haar tweede competitiewedstrijd tegen PEC Zwolle (4–3 winst). Met tien gemaakte doelpunten in zeventien wedstrijden sloot Miedema haar debuutseizoen af als clubtopscorer.

SC Heerenveen
    Miedema started playing football at the age of five at HZVV in Hoogeveen, where she played in boys' teams. In 2009, she switched to one of the other Hoogeveen football clubs, VV de Weide. In 2011 she made the switch to SC Heerenveen. She made her debut on 2 September 2011 in the first round of the 2011/12 season, with which she made history at the age of 15 as the youngest debutante in the national Eredivisie. [1] Miedema scored her first goal in her second league match against PEC Zwolle (4–3 win). With ten goals scored in seventeen games, Miedema closed her debut season as club top scorer.
    Openen in Google Translate

sbahnhof and L'orange repped this.
  18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, feyenoordsoccer fan and L'orange. What I'm trying to get a hold of is how widespread soccer play is among Netherlander girls. In other words, how wide is the net cast to find those few girls that will rise to the top? Or, put in another way, is the national team program identifying, from all the girls in the country, those who have the best potential as futbol players?

This isn't just a question I have for the Netherlands. I have it for other countries. I've been advised, for example, that there are very few opportunities in Brazil for girls to play soccer with girls, and that the only real opportunities are for a girl to find a boys' team that will accept her. I assume that very few girls will want to go this route, which means that they probably aren't going to be identifying a lot of girls in the country who could be the top candidates for success. I've heard the same about Argentina, from Argentines who work in the sports field. I also heard this from a Swedish mother, in reference to her daughter's experiences.

England may be changing on this. About 15 years, an English friend/mother told me that soccer for girls at that time was not something that was popular at all, indeed it carried some negative baggage. And my friend had been a professional futboler, so I'm pretty sure she knew what she was talking about. But, as I said, this may be changing there.

19. cpthomas repped this.
  20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Some read marerial

Considering all European FA's:
    The UEFA women's football development programme - National Association Projects' Report

The UEFA women's football development programme (some "blueprints" for FA's)

cpthomas repped this.
  21. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Roord-Beerensteyn-van de Sanden is the starting frontline, and Bloodworth starts at left back. Expected starters everywhere else.

22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    A bit surprised Bloodworth didn’t get into the FIFPro shortlist for the World XI voted by professional footballers. Spitse, van de Donk, Martens, Miedema, Groenen, and van Veenandaal all unsurprisingly got in. Considering her injury issues throughout the year and the fact that she missed two games at the World Cup, I would have put Bloodworth ahead of van der Gragt in the shortlist, but she has been typically good when she’s played.

Orange14 repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    couple of items;
    Dutch coach, Vera Pauw, has just been named, Rep. of Ireland NT coach
    Pauw appointed new Ireland manager
    some might remember her as bringing South Africa to their 1st Olympic appearance, but also known as last year, giving the Houston Dash it's best season ever while playing a highly appealing ,direct attacking style of soccer, very reminiscent of Wiegman,circa 2017. But the Dash players rebelled against her 'authoritarian leadership' so she resigned.

PS it was last month reported that it was German youth coach, Maren Meinert, that got the Ireland job, so don't know what happened since

here's highlights of the Euro qualifier vs Turkey. Anybody feel like the score line should of been much, much higher? I mean, just a few days before, Trukey lost 0-2 to Kosovo, not exactly a powerhouse, lol

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^I suspect that VAR would have overruled the PK call late in the 2nd half. The Turkish keeper made some very good saves that kept the score from really getting out of hand.