The Netherlands- 2018

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Got Jukes?, Apr 23, 2018.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    might as well show Arsenal's highlights at this threat since they start more Dutch players than English, lol. This was one sided schlock vs an lower division in one of those cup games. Hopefully Miedema can get those steals too when she plays Denmark.

btw..............earlier this year, the Denmark team came over here for a friendly & got promptly obliterated by the US high press(1-5 loss), hopefully Wiegmann learns from that(the Danes can't handle high press)

Lieke Martens didn't make the roster for Barca's last game, hope she's ok
    over the last few years, Bayern Munich been buying up almost all the other top German players in the league. they added 3 new NT's this year for now a lineup of 11 current German NT's & 2 prominent retired NT's, plus still got to find place for it's haul of foreigners, so playing time is going to be hard to find, even more so for real competitive games as the rest of the league has been devastated by losses of it's top quality players., though at one time they probably were the strongest/best balanced ladies league in the world. Interest in woso has definitely waned off in Low-many of the last few years, but hopefully it gets revitalized again after the Jorgie disaster in Russia!

Groenen this summer visited Turin & received an offer from Juvuntus, but guess Frankfurt countered effectively.

blissett repped this.
  2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Bayern women's team is doing what the BM men's team has done for ages: If another outstanding player emerges at another team in the Bundesliga, Bayern signs him away at the first opportunity.

RE Groenen, I'm very surprised that she didn't get an offer from Manchester United, which will be good in another year or so, or another English team. That would have been the way to go--but then the best English clubs (Chelsea, ManCity, Arsenal) are already pretty well stacked. Going to Italy would not have helped her. Juventus won the Italian women's league last year but is not very good. They played Arsenal in the preseason this year and looked lousy: Arsenal dominated and won 5-0.

3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    This is Jose Mourinho of Manchester United on the artificial pitch in Switzerland on which his team will play its first Champion's League game. ManU will surely win--the opponent is very inferior--but his point about having to play on artificial turf is the same one I was making about The Netherlands having to play on turf against Norway in the WC qualifier. It is a disadvantage and UEFA should mandate that all WC qualifiers be played on grass.....

"...De Gea, who signed from Atlético Madrid in summer 2011, is expected to start United’s Champions League group game against Young Boys at the Stade de Suisse on Wednesday night on an artificial pitch. He is of the same mind as José Mourinho that the surface will make the match more difficult.

“We are not used to playing on artificial grass so it’s going to be a bit different – probably more difficult for us but we have to train there to see how the balls work on this pitch and try to play our football here. We know it’s going to be a tough game,” he said.

Mourinho stated a desire not to use the surface as an excuse for any disappointing result. Yet he hinted he had complained about it at a recent Uefa meeting while also branding it a disadvantage for any visiting side.

“I don’t want to use that especially before the match as a possible excuse for a not very good performance,” he said. “But what I had to say I told last week in Geneva in the Uefa meeting, and what can I say? They play on an artificial pitch, which is a big advantage for them and a big disadvantage for the other teams.”

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The negative for the national team is that Van Veenendaal has lost her starting job at Arsenal. I don't think she's played this year--she didn't even play, I don't think, in their 9-0 laugher against second-tier Lewes a few days ago, not that she would have gotten any work. Not ideal with huge games coming up.

5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Oh come on. :rolleyes: Your bitterness is getting ridiculous now, and quoting the most whining and grumpy manager in the men's game just underlines it further. Netherlands haven't been better than Norway in this qualifying campaign. That might be a bitter pill to swallow after the Euro triumph, but second place in the group is what you deserved after dropping points at home against Ireland (on grass!) and barely beating also-rans Slovakia with an injury-time goal. An injury-time fluke goal was what you beat Norway with in the first match in Groningen also, so you've had your share of margins going your way already.

Norway scored just as many goals as the Netherlands in this qualifying group - 22 goals in total. Norway and Netherlands have met in four big games over the last three seasons with two wins each:

2016: NED v NOR 1-4 (Olympic qualifier)
    2017: NED v NOR 1-0 (Euro 2017)
    2017: NED v NOR 1-0 (WCQ)
    2018: NOR v NED 2-1 (WCQ)

The problem with Dutch woso is that many people now look at it with rose-tinted eyes. Netherlands have a lot going for them with great attendances, enthusiasm at home after the Euro title, one or two marketable players, but the product they put on the field over eight games in these WC qualifiers has not been good enough to win the group. World domination is put on hold for now. First it's Denmark. Good luck.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    eh eh: How can anyone not like Jackie Groenen? :p

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

I stick with my point about artificial turf--WC qualifying and other big games should not be played on it. Nearly every player of note plays their club and international games on grass, and so for one team to have to play a big game on different surface is a disadvantage because it is a different surface: the ball bounces rolls differently, bounces differently (higher), etc. Everything else you mention is irrelevant.

9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Bauser's summary is right on the money.
    After Euro, during UEFA WoSo Conference held in Amsterdam in November 2017 Wiegman revealed to all gathered international coaches and various FA's people - the details of whole Holland's plan about how did they prepared for.. and ultimately won this Euro tourney. Long-term strategy which started 2 years before the tourney had ie. number of KVNB (Dutch FA) profesionals (coach, analytics, scouts, et.c) moved temporary from man's football to women's Euro project. One of Holland's coachinng legends - Foppe de Haan was Wiegman assistant coach (imagine sir Alex Fergusson beeing assistant to Phil Neville now!) Between many other things it was decided that Japan's FA model for tourney strategy is the best to copy and also Nadeshiko Japan were chosen as Dutch tactics testers (4 matches between the teams in this 2 year time). Holland Euro success had many fathers/mothers but KVNB agreed on Wiegman to carry the torch.

My point is that after Euro the things within Dutch FA went back into "normal", the legacy has left woso there in better shape than before the tourney but ultimatelly comming this WWC Qual. - considering tactics and long term team strategies - Wiegmann was left to her own devices in order to build new tactics and strategy. She has some quality material left (experienced players) but I'm not so sure that she is on equal quality as a coach. :coffee:

59Amerinorsk, blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    No, no, it's all because UEFA can't do seedings right, and that distracted them from winning.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this & that Uefa is the only major federation that picks it's teams through year long qualifiers, every other major womens fed. in the world goes through a tourney system.
    aren't you sort of cheapening in that your saying behind a great woman(coach) stands a great man? Besides checking Foppe out, so far not too impressed. The coach of the Tuvalu national team, lol
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foppe_de_Haan

but maybe fans of Dutch men's soccer know more about him?

12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    o_O
    I don't care if Wiegman or Foppe De Haan or anyone else for that matter is man or woman or white, blue or green...only skills and profesionalism matter.

By Wiegman own words Holland succes had many architects. Considering her coaching staff during Euro tourney Foppe the Haan and Arjen Veurink were a huge sounding board to her. She sure would like to have them now I bet.

Arjen Veurink was coach of women FC Twente between 2012-2016 (wit 70% win ratio) you can recall that under him FC Twente in 2015 throw Bayern out of CL.

Foppe de Haan is Heerenveen club legend, had them playin CL final in 99/00, then Dutch men U-21 Euro Cup winners 2006 and 2007 and qualified to Beijing OL 2008.

13. Actually, I only appreciate her for her footballing skills, nothing else .... like her cuteness and good looks and her irresistable way she looks at you:inlove:...really....:cautious:...it's the truth:mad:....why donot you believe me:cry:

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa

Yes, in view of the Dutch defeat, UEFA should probably get rid of its year-long qualifiers. It's an unreliable way of finding teams who are good enough. Also in men's football, when the other continents have very long (unreliable) qualifiers for the men's World Cup, why do they bother?

15. Why? If you're good enough you're good during the year long system too.
    I can't see the "unreliability" of it.

JanBalk and sbahnhof repped this.
  16. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess @sbahnhof was being sarcastic. :coffee:

18. Oh, okay. I'm not good at spotting humorous/sarcastic/ironic posts. I'm naive, take what people say to be what they mean, ...that's why women like me....:cautious:

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  19. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Look, I'm not being sarcastic when I say, maybe UEFA can learn from Oceania. What you do is, you fly all the teams to Fiji for the qualifying round. Even if they lose, you can still say "you're on holiday in Fiji, it's totally beautiful, why are you complaining?"

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sari played against West Ham and the pre-season friendlies. She has had an injury ( not mentioned by the club) and missed a game or two and PPM took the shirt and has kept three clean sheet since.

21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I was wondering if she might be injured but assumed that she wasn't since there's been no word about any physical knocks. Do you know what the injury is? I hope fairly minor. Heck, I could have kept a clean sheet for Arsenal in their last three or four games. The Gunners are very good and the competition has been weak, and they must have had the ball about 80 percent of the game. I think PPM had to make one save in the last game but otherwise has been yawning for a couple of weeks.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    but that's broso

woso is a different beast alltogether

......Euros haven't even made it to the woso WC final so far this decade, failed to win 3 out of 4 last Olympics. 5 out of the top 8 ranked are outside your continent.(AU, BR, CA, JA & US) In 4 out of 5 of those, men's soccer isn't the major sport, so we don't have some coaching genius showing us the way(like the Foppe dude)

perhaps this vid might show you the difference?

L'orange repped this.
  23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I saw saw that starting centerback Stephanie van der Gragt has been left out of the selection for the Denmark games because she's not yet recovered from an "upper leg injury." That's not good as centerback depth seem to be a problem for the Dutch women. I hope that Wiegman does not put Zeeman in van de Gragt's spot--she's been a starter in the past--because she is S-L-O-W, and that's not what you want when the /other/ starting centerback, Dekker, is not very fast herself. Two slow centerbacks against a good attacking team like Denmark is a recipe for disaster! Maybe Bloodworth will be slotted in that position since she has played it some recently. For the future, Wiegman really needs to find at least two young, quality defenders--one for centerback and one for outside back. This is a pressing need. The Dutch have quality at most positions but very little quality depth.

24. https://www.rtl.fr/sport/football/b...ncaises-en-lice-chez-les-15-femmes-7795102422
    Triple tenante du titre de la Ligue des champions féminine, l'impressionnante équipe de l'Olympique Lyonnais place 7 de ses joueuses parmi les 15 finalistes pour le Ballon d'Or féminin, qui sera décerné le 3 décembre, a révélé lundi 8 octobre France Football, organisateur du prix.

Il s'agit de l'Anglaise Lucy Bronze, de la Norvégienne Ada Hegerberg, de la Japonaise Saki Kumagai, de l'Allemande Dzsenifer Marozsan et des Françaises Amandine Henry, Amel Majri et Wendie Renard. Un collège d'une quarantaine de journalistes du monde entier devra voter pour l'une des 15 sélectionnées entre le 9 octobre et le 9 novembre.

Les huit autres nominées sont la Danoise Pernille Harder (Wolfsburg), lauréate du trophée UEFA de la meilleure joueuse, les Américaines Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns) et Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign), l'Anglaise Fran Kirby (Chelsea), l'Australienne Sam Kerr (Red Stars Chicago), la Néerlandaise Lieke Martens (Barcelone), la Canadienne Christine Sinclair (Portland Thorns) et la Brésilienne Marta (Orlando Pride). C'est cette dernière qui a remporté le prix Fifa de la meilleure joueuse de l'année fin septembre à Londres.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woot! Woot! Put away Denmark; On to Switzerland.

blissett repped this.