the mythical soccer channel

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by jmeissen0, Jul 31, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    ok, let's suppose for a second that the powers that be in mls are going to put their heads together and create a cable soccer channel

how do they:

-get into households (basic or just above basic packages)
    -make money
    -get non u.s. matches
    -actually build up soccer interest, despite more than likely not being accessible to most people in the country
    -fill programming

among other things

2. Burn20

Burn20 New Member

Jul 29, 2000
    NJ
    I don't have any answers, but sign me up when it's available!

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cablemaven.com/index.html

http://www.ncta.com/docs/faq.cfm#a8

They will make money off of ads and infomercials. That's really the only way. And they will fill programming by getting soccer programming as cheap as they can.

Getting onto systems is the hardest part, IMHO. I would imagine Anschutz would have to broker a deal involving his other entertainment options, i.e. "You want me to put the concerts I am promoting on PPV? Put my soccer channel on your digital platform."

All speculation, but as someone once told me when I brought up the issue of St. Phil starting a channel - "Maybe he's closer to it than anyone knows."

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i don't know i guess i am seeing them having a hard time getting enough money from selling ads... i mean, it's a speciality channel... so who besides us is going to be asking for it and actually watching it

besides commercials won't be happening like they do for regular shows... i figure most of the programming would be fairly cheap to show though... mls, a-league, wusa... hell you could show pdl, college, highschool championships and even youth tournaments

shell out most of the money producing the mls matches, picking up a few european matches a week, FC Champion's Cup, possibly US Open Cup, etc.

weekly 30-60 minute shows:
    -scouting the youth of the nation
    -providing insight into national team player pool
    -a-league round-up
    -wusa round-up
    -other pro leagues round-up

for mls
    -daily show for goings on
    -weekly in offseason for player movement, rehab, draft, etc.
    -player profiles

for europe
    -yanks abroad show... highlights and profiles of all americans in europe... possible player movement

5. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    In about 10 more years. MLS needs to have 16 teams, and reserve teams, and then they need a viable A-League with 12 solid teams on good fields drawing 10K each. In 7 to 10 more years I think we'll get there.

By then, MLS will have deep and broad enough penetration to merit the commercial side. WUSA still in existance would help. Right now there's not enough domestic soccer news and events to support it. But you are right about youth leagues getting exposure, that will also be on it.