The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Kazuma, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Never seen them live but I love the band! And I don't mean the Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger only shit but their B sides and not so popular tracks! Though a lot of their albums have had a lot of crappy fillers, they have some quality songs in there as well that even though they aren't what would be considered commercial success in the charts, they are great tunes!

I do think Liam has become a bit of a joke and his singing is definetly what it was 10 years ago, Noel Gallagher is class! Besides, they hate Man U!!! :D

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There are very few songs of theirs I don't like. I can think of only a couple. They are quality. I've seen them live, it was worth it even if they come out and play "Cigarettes and Alcohol" and walk off stage.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol - great tune ^!!!!

I can see a liar and put your money where your mouth is from Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and She is Love from Heathen Chemistry are the only really crappy songs from them...

I wouldn'd mind a little Champaign Supernova and Colombia for me!! One of my favorite tunes from them has never been done live; Roll it Over!

Wonderwall, of course was the first time I played for my wife (girlfriend at the time). It was at a scuba show and there was a concert going on for Scuba radio and one of our first "dates". She thought I was joking when I picked the guitar up until she heard the ever popular chords actually come out of the guitar. In my defence, it is rather easy to play and sing so I picked a good song that prevented what could have been a premature break-up!! ;)

Let there be Love is the song on my wedding video!! :D

PM me if you decide to go - maybe we can grab a beer before the show!

4. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nirvana > Oasis :p

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pearl Jam > Nirvana

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Soundgarden > Alice in Chains >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nirvana

Big time. Nirvana's only decent album is In Utero. You can't beat Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger nor Superunknown.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I always, ALWAYS hated Soundgarden and especially that guys voice (the guy from Velvet Revolver, can't remember his name now).

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think you're getting Chris Cornell mixed with Scott Weiland. Soundgarden rules. Much better than Pearl Jam (Who are overrated). Stone Temple Pilots is not bad though.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Revolting Cocks > Alice in Chains :D

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Doh, no I was confusing Velvet Revolver with that band Cornell was in with Tom Morello. I hate Cornell's voice.

11. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    People who say In Utero is better than Nevermind (which is probably the greatest album of all time) only say that to try and look hardcore, which is uncool.

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soundgarden, awful

Nevermind>In Utero

Alice in Chains Pretty, ok

13. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nope. Saying it from a musical perspective. THere's some okay songs on Nevermind but In Utero is good. Then again Nirvana is one of the most overrated bands out there. A

Man, you guys have no love for Soundgarden. Badmotorfinger and Ultramega OK kick ass.

14. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To each his own. Don't get me wrong, I like In Utero alot as well.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think that's quite an unfair statement to make. It all depends on how you're looking at the albums. When Nevermind came out, Nirvana (in the grunge mode) was unpolished and a bit more "grungey" if you will.

By the time In Utero came out they had solidified their sound much, much more. Kurt Cobain's lyrics became much more insightful and the topics more edgier and introspective.

The contradiction however is that all of that flies in the face of everything that grunge originally stood for. In my opinion, In Utero is the better album but Nevermind is more influential and should take it's rightful place

16. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It is an unfair statement to make, but Allez indirectly said Nevermind wasn't a decent album. It seemed like he was trying to be one of those snobby guys who thinks anything mainstream is not worth his time which is why I took that shot at him. Granted, I think we're all like that sometimes. I will admit, the best songs on In Utero are better than the best songs on Nevermind. Overall though, Nevermind is better in my opinion.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Music snobbery never made sense to me, and no Im not calling Kaz or anyone this, just conversating. I guess part of it for me is not being a huge fan of main stream music, and another being I dont care what something is, how talented the music is, or how it was influenced, if it sounds good, I'll listen.

I also rarely get hungup on being concered if a band or artist I consistently listen to changes their sound. If its good Ill get it, if I dislike it, Ill wait for the next one and try again. I like bands that evolve as well as those who have a consistent sound.

Anyways, you know what I realized? This post was entirely pointless.

18. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Saw him in concert last month...He's the man

So excited for the new album

19. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone like Flogging MOlly? If so, the question is, FM or DKM?

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest, I was never high on Nirvana. As soon as I heard Come As You Are anytime anyone mentioned their 'orginality' I had to laugh.

A total rip-off of The Killing Joke's "Eighties" which pre-dated Nevermind by 7 years. Influence is one thing, theft is another.

Nirvana will always be the Vanilla Ice of grunge for my (thanks to the banks, now worthless) money.

21. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just couldn't stand watching an 8ft tall bass player sway around stage akwardly.

But for the record, fan or not, Dave Grohl was and is the man.

I mean how under appreciated of a musician is he? Amazing drummer, recording every note of every instrument for the Foo's first album since he didn't have a band yet, very good sognwriter, and now front's what is a much better band than the one that will always overshadow them.

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love dave grohl and always have a foo fighters album in the car. But cobain is overrated.

23. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fail. The main rif is similar, but total rip off? Not even close.

24. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah my musician friends laugh at his guitar playing. I liked him as a songwriter ok, never loved it though.

Foo Fighters are great, consistently putting out one good album after another. One of the few true main stream bands I always anticipate releases for

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If cobain hadn't topped himself he would have lost the court case against him in the same way vanilla lost his.

You can't copy a rif that blatently and call yourself original.

And similar? It's virtually identical, don't be so myopic.