The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Kazuma, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Alright, Eddie I have to give a huge thanks for suggesting Andrew Bird. Amazing musician. Thread is simple, suggest albums/artists or just discuss the great noise that is music. *Is a proud musician*

Anyway, if you guys like electronic music, especially mellow stuff check out Boards of Canada. It's as if the woods and your childhood produced techno. Pick up Music Has the Right to Children, they sample stuff from old TV shows which makes it either cool, or creepy.

As for fast stuff, Aphex Twin's Drukqs or I Care Because You Do. Drukqs is strange though.

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Best albums of the last 10 years...and it's not even close. Andrew Bird is the soundtrack of my life.

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For me it'd either be Beck or Boards of Canada with the Chili Peppers in a tie with Boarfs.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Beck really? I always thought he was a bit overhyped. I got the feeling people liked Beck because they thought it was cool to like Beck because he was untraditional and a nouveau hipster to boot.

I simply can't stand the Chili Peppers. Atleast we'll always have Andrew Bird and Ben Folds.

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ben Folds is playing in Ann Arbor on Jan 25...a Friday night. It's about 5 hours from Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor. Hmmmm, the question is; would the wife go for it?

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I nearly forgot about how great this album is. Andrew Bird retains his best album for the last 10 years award because Urban Hymns came out in Sept 1997. If you don't have this, listen to it. Everyone knows Bittersweet Symphony (song #1) but the rest of the tracks, wow.

[​IMG]

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Beck was only overhyped on Loser and a lot of people think that he had one great song. He does amazing stuff with electronic music (Such as the Midnite Vultures album) and then can go around and do an amazing acoustic album. The man's played alongside Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash and Tom Petty have covered songs of his. That and his lyrics are quite funny. He's quite eclectic in style and because of him I got a new respect for some genres that I would never respect to begin with.

The Chili Peppers, well you'd hate me as I've been a big RHCP fan since I was 12.

Ben Folds, I've known of since I was 8. I know a guy who looks like Ben Folds by the way.

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm going to that show! If you do go I'll wear my Chelsea jersey or my Bayern Munich 3rd jersey.

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Beck's sea change album.

Love Ben Folds, will give Bird a chance.

Talking best albums is so difficult, for me-for anytime, its probably between:
    Aenima(Tool)
    Relationship of Command(at the drive in)
    Menos El Oso(Minus the bear)
    Shake the Sheets(ted leo)
    Warriors Code(dropkick murphys)
    Shape of Punk to Come(refused)
    Deloused in the commatorium(Mars volta)

For mainstream stuff, Foo Fighters and Radiohead everyday.

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very great album, proves that he can do a lot.

Forgot to mention Air, another electronic duo and they're French :cool:. Moon Safari and Pocket Symphony is stuff you literally fall asleep to.

Huge fan of the Chemical Brothers for techno, although We Are The Night was a tad disappointing (Salmon Dance is the funniest song I've ever heard.) it had some gems. Their best album has to be Dig Your Own Hole.

Anyone on here fans of Sonic Youth?

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In my youth I was. I haven't listened to them in ages.

13. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rather Ripped was released a while back, it has remenants of that noisy quality but it's more rock oriented. Sonic Nurse is amazing too, SY doing the jam band thing = awesome!

14. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jam Bands = Hippies = Spoiled, Rich, Entitled, Know-It-All White Kids = No Thanks

-I am like Eric Cartman when it comes to hippies. I have been fighting them my whole life.-

15. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admittedly Ive always enjoyed Phish. Although I rarely care about stuff like that anyways, if it sounds good I listen.

For a different kind of Jam band:

The Mars Volta. It's more like Latin Influence+Jam Band+pink floyd+Zeppelin

Fronted by 2 former cracked out junkies from the greatest punk band this side of Dead Kennedys, in my opinion-At the drive in.

Their first album- Deloused in the commatorium features songs from 6-15 minutes long, and each album they get a little crazier. They also feature great musicians standing in like Flea(when they didnt have a bassist,a nd John Frusiciante(spell check?), plus live they are incredible, the musicianship and song writing is on another level.

16. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Aphex Twin: great stuff, 'Richard D James Album' was always my faveorite.

Mars Volta: loved Deloused but never got around to getting the albums after that.

RHCP: always liked them never loved. bloodsugarsexmagic is a classic.

The Verve: Bittersweet Symphony is a gem of an album, but like Mars Volta i never quite followed up on the band.

my tastes are quite wide ranging, at the moment i'm actually listening to a lot of Black Metal & Death Metal, good for the holidays:)

17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Saw Mars Volta open for RHCP a while ago. Decent show and I loved this bongo solo they had.

18. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh to converse with fellow Ben Folds fans. Ben Folds/Five and Radiohead are probably my two favourite acts.

I could talk about albums like Dark Side Of The Moon (my favourite ever album) or Grace (2nd) or Kid A (3rd) or Revolver or Pet Sounds or what have you, but I'm sure you're all well aware of those. Some albums from the last few years that you might be less aware of are listed below.

All of the following come with "Warning: This Music Is So Good It May Knock Your Socks Off" writ large in big thick red marker pen right across the front...

Day For Airstrikes - Widows (2006)
    [​IMG]

The Freezing Fog - March Forth To Victory (2007)
    ... *easily* my album of this year. Admittedly one of the band is my ex-housemate and all of the guys are friends of mine, but this band are absolutely special. On the Roadkill Records label, getting reissued on a bigger label next year and with excellent reviews in several major UK magazines including Rock Sound and Kerrang... Imagine it's still 1976 and this amazing new band comes on the scene. Modern Classic Rock, I call it. You may prefer 'stoner rock'.
    [​IMG]

---gotta split the post---

19. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Elbow - Asleep In The Back (2001)
    [​IMG]

Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows (2000)
    [​IMG]

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (2006)
    ... I'm sure you've all heard of this. I put this in to say - don't be put off by the hype. It's a masterpiece.
    [​IMG]

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Arctic Monkeys are pretty much unknown here in the US.

21. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Final post..

Sigur Ros - () (2002)
    ... Just gorgeous
    [​IMG]

Mew - Frengers (2003)
    [​IMG]

Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites (2005)
    [[​IMG]

...these last two are sumptuous and brilliant. The very best gig I ever went to was these guys a couple of years ago at the MDH (aka Academy 3) in Manchester. Amazing. The singer plays his guitar with a violin bow. Nice.

A good mix there of rock and indie and epic soundscapes I think.

22. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They toured a bit, but I heard it didn't go down too well... too much hype.

Tony Wilson once said Shaun Ryder was a great poet. Tony Wilson is an idiot - Alex Turner of the Arctics is a poet!

23. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Broken Social Scene is currently my favorite band at the moment. They are definitely worth checking out on iTunes, or downloading off a few of limewire to see if you like them.

24. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've been to four concerts in my life

All Ben Folds

25. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Had to bump this. My Bloody Valentine = cool.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GB8nCE2EoIw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GB8nCE2EoIw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>