The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by os_mutante, Mar 17, 2007.

1. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got The Black Dahlia from NetFlix today. Heard it was bad, but I read the book and it is DePalma so we gave it a whirl.

It's about as compelling as boiling water.

2. tiemyshoey

tiemyshoey New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Os, is Black Dahlia that Woody Allen flick with Scarlett Johannsen? If I remember correctly, it looked pretty bad.

Another bad movie everyone should avoid if all possible, whether at the cinema or in DVD form or screened as a form of torture by the Taliban: that's right, MUSIC & LYRICS blows ass. I was dragged to it by friends and expected a sort of lighthearted romantic comedy -- which it was, but it was incredibly annoying as well. I could really go the rest of my life without seeing another Drew Barrymore "chatty, neurotic, and quirky as hell!" character. Can't she get back on drugs or something? Also, for a movie about music, the music was really dreadful. Not even like pop-dreadful, just effing shite.

I guess I haven't seen mainstream pap for a long time, but this was a shocker to my system.

3. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I just saw "The Dep-ahw-ted" on DVD. I thought it was really good. Not the best Scorcese movie but by far the best movie I've seen this year.

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    That's Match Point. But Johansson is in Blak Dhalia also. She's a horrible, horrible actress imo.

5. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    True, but she is hot.
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers was good in Match Point, he does creepy guy well.

I hope everyone has seen Pan's Labyrinth...you must.
    And Children of Men was great too, though some of the possible interpretations don't appeal to me. Cinematography on both incredible.

6. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen it twice. In fact, my mother called me today to tell me that she saw the bootleg copy I gave her, and that she LOVED it. Everything about that movie was just so well done.

As for Ms. Johansson's hotness, I think it's somewhat overrated. While I think she's pretty damn cute, I also think she's one of the most likey celebs to be a let down upon meeting her in person.

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the category of hot but horrible, I'd like to throw in Rosario Dawson. She is nearly unwatchable.

8. tiemyshoey

tiemyshoey New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Yes, Matchpoint! I actually saw that in the theater, it was pretty good as a whole, but not very Woody Allen-esque.

Now I thought ScarJo was great in Lost in Translation and Girl with the Pearl Earring, but I guess she's really just getting by on her pouting these days.

Anybody seen Bridge to Terabithia by any chance? I have a total sentimental attachment to that book from my angsty sixth-grade days.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I LOVED Children of Men. Absolutely amazing film. Alfonso Cuaron is easily the best out of the 3 Mexican filmmakers who are the toast of the town now.

I hated Babel. I also hated 21 Grams. On the other hand I think Amores Perros is one of the best debuts by a new director in recent years.

10. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Probably because she didn't have that many lines :p.

11. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked her in Ghost World.

12. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I though I was the only one. I agree completely.

13. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yep...but for Amores Perros, Guillermo del Toro actually showed up at his doorstep to help him edit it and get it out. Maybe he needs the help always...

I did too. I really liked that flick.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Yeah I saw that interview.

Anyway out of all the movies that trio has made I think Y Tu Mama Tambien is the best.

15. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's right you're in "the city" -- I get student rate home delivery :D

Did you really like Y Tu Mama?
    I dunno...I have really mixed feelings about it. The male relationships were really complex & interesting, but I felt too much like the woman was just a prop, which is far too often the case.

16. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I didn't know that...that makes a lot of sense. I always though it was the strongest one of the three, mostly because it tells the "stories that intersect in the end" the best. I guess it's just better editing that makes the diference?

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    And I just moved. I'm in the East Village now near St. Marks. It's hipster central :D.

I loved it. The woman had to be there to strain their friendship. Sex always gets in the way. I thought the ending was perfect.

And not only the story I thought the way it was made was brilliant. Very long takes, no close ups, handheld and steadycam. The long takes particularly were amazing. Especially the one towards the end where they're all getting drunk.

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only movie I've seen out of that batch is Amores Perros. Great movie.

In about half an hour I'm gonna go see Tears of The Black Tiger. Visually it looks delicious.

19. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    I see dreadfully few films for a film student. Last film I actually sat down for was a week ago. Onibaba by Kaneto Shindô. Which was freaking awesome.

I'm waiting for 300 to hit cinemas here. I've always loved the story of Thermopylae, and I think it's interesting to see them go with this horribly over the top 'God of War'-like approach. Could go either way I guess.

Also....I'm waiting for Hot Fuzz. It's by the guys who made Shuan of the Dead, but this time...well...just watch the trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/hotfuzz/hd/

I mean...how can this movie be anything else than utterly brilliant

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my apprehension when we went to go see it; would it just be like a really long God of War cinematic, which I would loathe to see for obvious reasons? Well, I won't answer that (you'll have to see it) but I certainly enjoyed it. Plus, McNulty from The Wire is in it, and it took me several reels to figure out why that guy looks so familiar!!

BTW, Tears of the Black Tiger is great. It reminded me of The Princess Bride a little bit.

21. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I still get a kick out of the Blues Hammer scene. F-ing hilarious.

On a more serious, artsy note, I watched Heart of Glass by Werner Herzog the other day. All of the actors except the main character were hypnotized before filming. It makes for some bizarre viewing. It was good.

22. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Hmmm...I got a mail today by the editor of our student magazine. I had sent them some reviews once when I was thinking of joining to get some journalist experience. Then I got a job and didn't have the time so I cancelled the whole thing.

If I wouldn't please reconsider.

Mweh.

Because we're still looking for talented writers...

Go on...

To go to the official press release screenings

Sold!...Honestly, they had me at talented. Flattery will get you pretty much everywhere with me :eek:

23. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Congratulations! That sounds like a really cool job.

24. tiemyshoey

tiemyshoey New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Joep, that's awesome. Go on with your writerly self! I'm enslaved to my student newspaper, so I do know that when they get you, there's really no escaping. :D Enjoy!!!

25. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hey Joep! Congrats, that sounds like fun, too.

Ok, this is for those of you who like Gael Garcia Bernal (and honestly, what's not to like?) and read Spanish. There's a great article in Proceso (a mexican political magazine) with him & Diego Luna about their work and also this traveling documentary festival they're doing. I got an e-mail about the festival & the films looked great. Didn't realize it was them until this article. He's got a great view of politics & on the whole acting thing. (Luna is less interesting to me).

Here's the link to the issue of Proceso

I read it at my university library, but it looks like you can register online and then you get to access the article. There's photos too. ;)