The most outrageous refereeing in history.

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Krokko, Jul 13, 2013.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #51 PuckVanHeel, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    That referee was Jef Dorpmans, and sadly it seems no images or pictures exist. That some books/sources and websites erronously say that it took place in the 90th minute can be a reflection of this (in reality the 2-1 stood on the scoresheet in the 56th minute).

He stood in front of (or near) goal and deflected the ball with his head. Cologne won the return with 3-0 and progressed (with referee from Wales; Callaghan).

http://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/jef-dorpmans/

Gregoriak repped this.
  2. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I wonder whether Dorpmans thought about deliberately scoring a goal for Köln to make up for his blunder? But it would have been an away goal for Köln, thus likely to be more valuable than Bordeaux's home goal.

3. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    @PuckVanHeel

NBA tonight :rolleyes:

I literally woke up to my sports app telling me 'Curry threw mouth guard at fan after fouling out.' Yeah right... WTF... Game 7 $$$

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry, I missed this post.

Yes, it was a strange moment and it was even on the news (the reaction of his wife helps to make a good story). A couple of the calls looked very poor. I can understand that ppl point out the commercial incentives for an extra game and a Cinderella story, but the flipside is that there are also incentives/pressures to let the big market teams win. GSW doesn't belong to the very biggest markets, but it is still way bigger than Cleveland (in this example). If you know what I mean (the famous draft conspiracy; the "special fascination with Lakers" comments by the commissioner). For football/soccer there is a lot of clear proof for that part/factor. I don't know enough to comment on the "Game 7 $$$' part, but you're correct that it was strange and poor refereeing.

To keep it on subject though: what would be a good comparison - similar incident - with a football match/event? Rui Costa his 1997 sending off? Samuel Inkoom his red card for removing his shirt while getting substituted? (second yellow while he walked to the sidelines)

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Saw this documentary on TV.

From 21:20 onward

Easy to spot a few holes in his credibility but it reminded me of what you said. I think though he is spot on about how those mechanisms work, IF they exist.

6. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy/South Korea was the first one that came to mind for me as well. Also at least one abysmal decision in South Korea's next game against Spain

gumbacicc and AD78 repped this.
  7. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That World Cup was a joke, Italy had a team that could have won it and were completely screwed, Spain were then also in the quarter finals..... all in favour of the hosts so everyone turned a blind eye, terrible.

gumbacicc repped this.
  8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mexican referee edgardo codesal in World cup final 1990 between Germany and Argentina is by far the worst I've seen officiating a big game

Bad/terrible decisions given on both sides but Argentina was cheated the most.

He awarded 2 red cards in a wc final,didnt notice klinsmann's world class acting skills and the worst penalty call possibly in world cup history which was converted by brehme.all in all a very ugly final but codesal had a huge part to play in it.

9. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1957 Italy v Northern Ireland WC qualifier.

N Ireland set up a defensive wall for a free kick. As the Ref moves the wall back the required 10 Yards. Itialian right back Sergio Cervato moved the ball to the side of the wall and then crashed it into the net.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    http://m.heraldscotland.com/sport/14731635.Alex_McLeish__Scotland_were_cheated_out_of_Euro_2008/

The nature of the accusations aside, what was at stake, the match and decisions itself indeed appears to be a very good example. The decisions on face value.

Ironically, Scotland might be very small, but they are part of a bigger cultural force and are at least able to make their perspective heard by others.

11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen the past year or so - the penalty call:

Zenit St. Petersburg vs AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League. Referee: Javier Estrada (ESP)

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...e-thread-general.2030717/page-8#post-34649662

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #62 PuckVanHeel, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    @Krokko

Thinking about this thing.

Former referee Frans Derks (active 1956-1978), in old interviews, republished today:

The referee who never let a German club win

"Before my father passed away, I promised him two things: I will never go to Germany for fun and under my leadership there will never be a German club to win. I have adhered to that. "

"I was born in 1930 in Vaals, my father was Catholic, my mother Jewish. No, that never caused any problems, I now think completely Jewish. As a child I lacked nothing, my father was in trade, import and export, but during the war he had a great blow to his kanis, I don't want to say anything more about that. During the war we moved to Breda for security reasons. From that moment on I started to delve into the behavior of Germans. "

Many people think I live very quickly, but I often think long and hard. We are talking about a people who have produced people like Goethe and Schiller, they have been at the forefront of technology and they have made a not insignificant contribution to culture. After years of study, I can only give one advice: don't give them an inch, because it will happen again. "

'At school people are very important about Floris the Fifth, but the Second World War is often passed over. I am a notorious muff hater '

"It has always surprised me that there is a completely different mentality behind the border, which runs from Groningen to Maastricht. I can't figure that out, you take one step across the border and you are in a different world. "

"Because I accidentally had to take a whistle in my mouth here and there, I was able to contribute. Before the European Cup match Katowice-FC Köln I visited Auschwitz, I was completely off the map, then you really don't want to whistle another match. Anyway, all I could do was not let that muff club win. It was therefore a draw, there was really no more for FC Köln. Afterwards trainer Hennes Weisweiler was satisfied with me too. Yes, then you also leave a good impression with those bastards ... "

"Shortly after the game, they quickly threw some gifts into my dressing room before returning to the Heimat. I then threw those gifts away, I don't need any of those. "

"Juventus was also strong in it. In Belfast an Italian came with the competition forms, the suitcase opened and there was a Rolex. I pretended not to see it, but I knew that the goals for Juventus would be very expensive. I dealt with those Italians terribly. A sold-out stadium saw Glentoran draw against the big Juventus, that was the last sunny day in Northern Ireland. "

https://www.vi.nl/pro/overig/de-scheidsrechter-die-nooit-een-duitse-club-liet-winnen

Luckily for the powerful German teams (FIFA special perks, FIFA knows where the money and power is), they were very good in stopping the careers of referees whenever there were seemingly controversial decisions.
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardus_van_der_Kroft

And of course there have been plenty screwjobs the other way, five examples.

- Netherlands vs Brazil 1974, led by Kurt Tschenscher. Making sure various players entered the final with knocks or injured. It was already known West Germany was finalist by the time this game got played.

- Real Madrid vs Ajax 1995 (should have been 0-5 rather than 0-2), led by Hellmut Krug

- Netherlands vs Italy 2000 semi final, led by Markus Merk. Toldo broke the rules again and again.

- Ireland vs Netherlands 2001 (WCq), led by Hellmut Krug (Roy Keane free reign to cripple players)

- Felix Brych and others of the corps in various Ajax games of 2018-2020 (including the 2019 semi final vs Tottenham, the Real Madrid game at home with the disallowed goal). The UEFA and the big clubs annoyed with an upstart (costing them money) happily assigned multiple times retiring Italian referees (Rocchi at Chelsea, he was retiring) to them.

There are statistics proving the pattern:

[​IMG]

Everyone knows the first player to get send off in a international or continental game was Johan Cruijff in 1966, for an incident where objectively very little or nothing happened (resulting in a one year ban). The referee for that was the East German Rudi Glöckner.

Also listen to this from 47:00, where Italian media losing both 1997 finals blame it to the loss of influence in UEFA.
    https://audioboom.com/posts/7558736-the-human-can-opener