The moments that keep you playing (and watching)

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by CornfieldSoccer, Nov 9, 2018.

1. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Just relaying one of those moments I watched last weekend as winter indoor cranked up.

My son's club puts together mixed teams for short-term leagues over the winter at a local facility, so his team for the first of those "seasons" is a mix of kids from three (maybe four) teams in his club, including a player whose outdoor team is what amounts to a C team for mostly 2004s. The boy clearly likes the game and I think he would play whether he was in a club or not, but he's pretty limited in terms of skill or athletic ability.

He was forced to play in goal for about a half and had what had to be the game of his life -- diving saves, kick saves, stopping shots at incredibly close range, tipped shots over the bar, great distribution, big cheers from his teammates, ... I think he allowed a couple of goals, but could have easily let in six or seven. You could tell that, even though he isn't a keeper outdoors, he's worked at it some.

After the game, his dad (who I know a bit) was just over the moon, talking about his son really had been working on it at home, ... The dad's a soccer guy (he's not from the US) and I'm guessing has watched a lot of not-great youth soccer involving his son's teams over the years. This was the opposite of that. And when his son wandered up, they had one of those huge moments of pride that only come along in a parent-child relationship every now and then.

I love seeing that sort of stuff.

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Anytime my kid is smiling and comes off a game or training excited just makes my day!

bigredfutbol and CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  3. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    True that. Every now and then I need to remind myself at U11 it is supposed to be fun for my boy.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just today a Facebook Memory popped up (someone else posted it)…three years running and it never gets old…

Circa Nov 2015, KC…U13 championship game, 0-0 tie at full time…headed to PKs…my son plays CB and I figure he’s day is over; he’s 10th in line…

Shortly after they all line up at mid-field and during the first round, the coach calls my son over...not really sure what’s going on at first…’til he starts slipping on a pair of goalie gloves…oh shit…

After a momentary conversation of Is this even legal?, my son steps into goal…9 shots later (he blocked at least 4)…it’s my son’s turn to shoot; if he makes it we win…nails it!

Like I say, that moment will never get old nor forgotten…

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Same here. No matter how big or small a thing it is that's behind that smile.

Wulf, that story's awesome (and good grief I wouldn't want to parachute into keeper like that). My son's been on the other end of your PK joy, twice having deciding PKs saved in tournament finals in the span of a recent year. But a younger version of him would have just wilted under those circumstances. He's learned the hard way to get up and keep going (and I liked that he was willing to step up in the first place). BTW, those video links just give me an error message.

6. NoVa.Dad

NoVa.Dad New Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Nov 19, 2018
    Very similar situation, preseason tournament U12. I'm coaching, my son is playing in goal all game. It came down to penalty kicks. He's now a dedicated goalkeeper.

mwulf67 repped this.