The moment that got you hooked to your club

Discussion in 'Japan' started by bolso4, Jul 10, 2006.

1. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Guys, Im adding this section for my football website (about the "First memory" that got you hooked). Read below to find out what I mean.
    If anyone could add like a short 4-5 line summary of : why they became part of the team, and the moment that captured you for life. Ill add my example below.

(Im a big fan of the J League and It would be great to hear some stories from the great clubs of Japan)

BTW, go to my site . www.freewebs.com/seeno22 (and check out the main page for a hilarious GIF I put of "Zidane's Headbutt" to Materazzi, you'll laugh so hard)
    Intro- I've been reading Fever Pitch (Nick Hornby) and it was a fantastic book. One part that got my attention was when he explained "How he became an Arsenal fan". He said that his dad took him to a game vs. a very small club. The story goes that Arsenal have always been known as the lest entertaining team in England ("Boring boring Arsenal"). On that day, Arsenal played terrible again, but sneaking by a win in the very last second: from a penalty ...that got scored after the goalie saved it and gave a free rebound. Something about that game made him fall for Arsenal. It was all a mixture of everything, the jerseys, the stadium, the simpathy. His father noticing this quickly took him to see Tottenham smash another team 5-1, but it was too late for Nick as he stated: "I had already falled for the team that barely beat Swindon 1-0"

I quickly realized that usually everyone has a team because 1) Where they were born , 2) Family tradition 3) The father's team (etc). But even if most of the people on earth follow a team for 1 (or a mixture) of all 3 reasons, there is always that "First Memory" of your team that stuck with you when you first saw them in early childhood. (either loving the jersey or getting attached as your team makes a great comeback, etc).

This is my example :
    Nacional de Montevido- (Alvaro Perez)- 1992 Liguilla Final (Nacional vs. Penarol)- Copa Libertadores spot on the line as: Nacional defeated Penarol in PKs after a 1-1 draw to a superior Penarol team with TWO red cards for Nacional. My dad and I watched the game with my entire Penarol family and I remember the entire nation stopping for that 1 game. Best memory, the white amazing jerseys Nacional wore, the "comeback" with 8 men and "Superman Sere" saving the crucial Penalty at the end (same keeper that saved all those PKs in the 88 Intercontinental vs. PSV Eindhoven <managed by Gus Hiddink>). I was hooked for life.

2. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan
    lol your site is good:D