The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus may be an "expansion" team as a business, but the on-field team is continuous, with the same group of players, same coaching staff, uniforms, branding, etc. Precourt took his "business" to Austin, but whatever the team they come up with -- players, coaches, branding, etc. is all new, created from scratch.

The Crew are only an expansion team to the accountants.

harrylee773 repped this.
  2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is single-entity so your question is moot.

I don't need to call anything expansion or not, point is Austin is being treated as the expansion while Columbus continues to play. If the league needed to define it one way or another for whatever reason, that's fine, but there has not been a break in play in Columbus while Austin has yet to do anything but lie about their ticket sales.:)

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moot? Since my question is moot this means you or I can just own a team since it's single entity then.

Fact: New Crew ownership paid an expansion fee.

Fact: If there was a place for Austin FC to play right now, The Crew would be the team on hiatus.

Fact: Precourt relocated his Columbus Franchise rights to Austin

Fact: MLS sold Expansion rights to Edwards & Haslam for $150M. Part of that deal was that current branding, coaches, and players would remain in Columbus. The rest of that iteration of the organization went to Austin with PSV.

sitruc repped this.
  4. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Fact: No ones gives a sh$t :p

5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This type of stupid discussion is why I love this stupid forum.

6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3831 stanger, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
    You must have more cash laying around than I do. Single entity means the league owns all the teams, thus the "investor/operator" moniker. Haslem/Edwards paid the league money and the league awarded Austin a jackass failure to run a team. How they define the transaction has not only not been released publicly, but was definitely done with tax implications in mind.

Nope.

No chance. You can pipe dream that all you want, but there is just no chance.

Show me the wording in the agreement that says that. You can't, because it's not true. Precourt transferred his ownership rights to a MLS franchise, not specifically the Crew.

In your opinion, what did the above in bold amount to? Be careful, I am friends with people in the FO and know for sure what was moved, so any half-ass opinion will be refuted.

In the end it doesn't matter, we have actual wealthy owners, a competent FO and are signing players with multi-million dollar transfer fees. Season starts soon and things are bright in Columbus.

FlapJack repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOT that it matters to you:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...le-price-said-to-be-150-million/#4a2327026326

"As part of the deal, current operator and chairman Anthony Precourt, who announced nearly a year ago that he intended to move the team to Austin, Texas, will get his wish. Although the new Crew owners are paying an "expansion fee" of $150 million, according to my source, they get the team in its current form. Precourt, who will not pay a fee, effectively gets an expansion team in that he needs to build a new franchise."

We're done here. No need to split hairs.

sitruc repped this.
  8. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You missed the whole "Save the Crew" thing?

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Encino Man is a steaming pile of crap that should have been rejected before production even started. The only way it could be considered a lot of fun is if you are braindead, wasted on weed, or have the maturity level of a small child."

[​IMG]

song219, jaykoz3 and stanger repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus built the first SSS in the country. They'll now be the first city to build it's second one.

Debate all you want about the expansion bid... that doesn't change.

stanger repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Columbus built the first MLS sized SSS from scratch in the country. It was not the first SSS (from scratch), and I would contend that the Fusion played in the first MLS SSS - though it was a retrofit (If you count Portland's stadium as an SSS, you should count old Lockhart, too).

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owner of the Fall River Marksmen built a soccer specific stadium in 1922.

song219, sitruc, ToMhIlL and 8 others repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I don't think a returned Sonics will claim anything from OKC. However they've made it very explicit that if (when!) the Sonics return they're claiming everything from the previous Sonics teams, including the trophies and banners. There was a sunset clause on the actual legal documentation around that which has long since passed, but I can't see anyone being dumb enough to stand in the way of them doing it. Especially when you have legends like Kemp and Payton refusing to have anything to do with the OKC team, stating that they'll be honored by the organization only when and in the Sonics return to Seattle.

jaykoz3 and harrylee773 repped this.
  15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, but Chicago was the first team to ditch their MLS SSS, which has to be worth something, right?

song219, sitruc, the cup and 4 others repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Austin is clearly the expansion team. They'll be the ones having an expansion draft at the end of this season. MLS is simply avoiding the truth on that point for tax reasons. Precourt remains an MLS shareholder/investor even though he isn't fielding a team this year.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about a sunset clause, but last I heard all the Sonics memoriabilia is at MOHAI. I also remember there being something about OKC and any Seattle team called the Sonics having a shared history up to the relocation. But, I guess we’ll find out if/when the Sonics return. ;)

TrueCrew and JasonMa repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, they may have already given up on the sunset clause idea then. Originally it was some set time (5 years?) that Seattle would keep the rights to the original banners, trophies, etc.

19. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In Rhode Island. And the stadium was considered baseball-friendly.

20. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Somehow, referencing the Cleveland Browns would have been something the Columbus folks could relate to.

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that the Crew never had a ceasing of operations in Columbus, so however the ownership paperwork was handled, the club has remained a continuous entity in all ways that are relevant to the fans.

oknazevad, Kejsare, POdinCowtown and 2 others repped this.
  22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Sikma finally got in the HOF this last time. Gus Williams. Lonnie Shelton. Downtown Freddie Brown. There are some more Sonic legends, with a 'chip to boot.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this expansion crap is nonsense.

If the Crew are the expansion team, when do we get an expansion draft, the #1 pick in the Superdraft, and top of the allocation order?

What? Austin gets that next year, you say.
    I rest my case.

24. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    So the Crew carry the important distinction of having to pay an expansion fee for the privilege of competing in the 2019 season and beyond. Proud company, to be sure.

25. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever price the new owners paid, how is that different from the price Precourt paid? Is every team that gets new owners considered expansion?