The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I read something where they said they only had $10 million in those type of funds available by that date.

IDK if it is $10 mil per year period, or if there was a larger pool that had been accounted for. The article I read made it seem like the latter.

It also said thete was a meeting scheduled for this year, & made it sound like more funds could be forthcoming.

Though, $20 million for that family is not much.

2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    That's right- it was the state, not the city. Thanks.

Probably being selfish, and I know we shouldn't get too attached to renderings - but I hope this shortfall doesn't mean the owners cut corners/dumb down what looked like a very elegant addition to the downtown core. As an MLS fan, I was proud of that design and what they were bringing to St Louis.

3. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
  4. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Can someone please explain or attach a link explaining how exactly this stadium project is almost half a billion dollars?

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. Other recent articles have pegged the stadium cost at around $200-250M. I did find this (dated Nov. 7):

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis...s-a-timeline-for-a-team-name-and-how-the.html

I assume that's it.

wingman2468 and 007Spartan repped this.
  6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's how the Crew stadium project is part of a development that costs over 600 mil. The stadium cost is either around 240 mil (or perhaps as much as 310 mil based on reports the Haslams threw in an additional 70 mil).

TrueCrew and wingman2468 repped this.
  7. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    If we were going to guess on what the extra $70M was for...

There are three considerations to any project (thank you construction degree):
    Time, Cost and Scope
    Obviously since the Cost has gone up we can assume one or both of the other considerations have been affected.

Scope:
    I did notice in the last crew update that the new stadium requires a water retention wall. When I read that I was shocked at the expanse of that undertaking. I assume this was considered initially, as your stadium sits next to the river, but that project might have been drastically underestimated in size or material cost.

That could be where some or all of that extra $70million is going toward. Maybe some upgrades in stadium amenities too if you've heard anything about that?

Time:
    Another major cost is labor, so it could be that they probably have to hire more labor to get the stadium built in the project timeline, given that winters are hard and the retention wall needs to be built first.

Same goes for St. Louis,
    The scope of the project was much larger than I thought. Actually I heard about the training facility/hotel/retail space, I just forgot about it. $460M still seems a bit high but is more realistic with all the other considerations.

Thanks guys for indulging my nerdiness

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They're drilling 80 feet deep for the secant wall at the new Crew stadium. It's next to the Olentangy river, just upstream of the confluence with the larger Scioto river. The area where the stadium is hasn't flooded in about 60 years but was underwater several times in the prior 60 years. The city of Columbus has been removing some lowhead dams on the Scioto and dropping the water level. The field at the new stadium will be below the outside ground level.

If we got rain on the scale of the 1913, 1937, or 1959 floods, we'd have a giant swimming pool.

sitruc repped this.
  9. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    There's something vaguely naughty about "olentangy". That should make it's way into a supporters club title.

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our support is pretty well established.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someday has already has claimed the use of the Mighty Olentangy in their sports marketing:

IMG_0284.jpg

Now the regal Scioto River, on the other hand...

sitruc, Ismitje, wingman2468 and 2 others repped this.
  12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I still love that the first MLS team with a Soccer specific stadium is the first whith the SECOND SSS

sitruc, QuarkspaceDotCom, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    An asterisk would have to be placed on Inter-Miami depending on your feelings about the Ken Horowitz upgrades to Lockhart for 1998. I've always contended that the Miami Fusion played in the league's first SSS. It wasn't originally built that way, but the substantial work put in prior to the 1998 season turned it into one.

Crew Stadium was definitely the first built from scratch SSS.

And Inter-Miami only shares a stadium location, not the history, with the Miami Fusion, so their Lockhart Stadium, which will predate the new Crew Stadium is depending on your narrative the first "second SSS". Then again, apparently the Crew are now laying fallow in Austin waiting for a stadium while the new Crew are in Columbus, so maybe this isn't their second built stadium, either. :p

15. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Austin FC technically an expansion team? So there is no "new Crew."

harrylee773 repped this.
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other way around. The Crew were the expansion team and Precourt relocated his club to Austin.

sitruc, AndyMead and CMeszt repped this.
  17. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to see who they draft for us next November!

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And for more MLS Franchise Fun(tm), Inter-Miami won't be the first second team to get a city's first SSS.

*Well depending on whether consider the 2008 Expansion San Jose Earthquakes or the 2006 Relocation Houston Dynamo the continuation of the 1996-2005 San Jose Clash/Earthquakes.

MLS sure has fun with semantics!

sitruc and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it was done that way for legal reasons but no one actually believes that.

I mean, I just bought a jersey with a star on it. Kinda hard for an expansion team to have a Cup.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? It wouldn’t be the first time an expansion club takes the name and history of a previous team.. If/when the Sonics come back to Seattle, I’m sure they will claim the history of the team that moved to OKC....

21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you are trolling, but the Sonics left Seattle without a team. The Crew never left.

Thumbs up on the troll though!

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3822 Yoshou, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Not trolling... Just noting that your point that the star on the Crew’s crest proves they aren’t an expansion club is factually incorrect.. If you’d prefer, we can point at the Earthquakes, who haven’t won a championship since their return, but still claim the history and stars from the relocated club

[​IMG]

But, realistically, it’s just semantics and only important in the pedantic sense. Having the “expansion” be instantaneous, the “relocating” club going on hiatus and taking advantage of all the expansion benefits, while the “expansion” club taking over everything about the club is unusual and it is perfectly understandable why Austin would be called the expansion club..

sitruc and AndyMead repped this.
  23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many years was San Jose without a team? How many years was Columbus without a team?

Again, expansion is expanding a team into cities that are without. The Texas capital was without, Columbus wasn't. You can argue the legalities of the paperwork, done mostly for tax implications I'm sure, but there was no time off for MLS in Columbus.

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who paid $150M to MLS: Anthony Precourt for Austin FC, or Haslem and Edwards for Crew SC?

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hit enter too soon, so I added some to my post. :)

My point is just that the mechanism used to keep the Crew in Columbus was for the Crew’s owners to pay an expansion fee and buy the Crew assets off Precourt. By that definition the Crew are the expansion club. However, if you want to call Austin the expansion club using your definition, go crazy. But from a mechanism standpoint, the Crew are the expansion club and Austin is a relocated team that went on hiatus.

sitruc and jaykoz3 repped this.