The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more concerned that MLS is becoming a club of NFL owners. Makes you wonder what the deal is with Detroit.

Either way, it appears that Miami is in very serious shit now. City Council has cancelled the deal.

They could be in Lockhart a long long time.

2. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, well. They control the revenue at new Lockhart so it doesnt matter.

stanger repped this.
  3. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Not to brag, but...

Burr, Dirt McGirt and Bill Archer repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They didn't "cancel the deal" - they declined to sign the currently very incomplete lease agreement. And they'll have another meeting on a revised lease next month.

The Miami Freedom Park deal is still the team's to lose, but it's not lost yet. But, yeah, Lockhart could be home for a while.

JasonMa, Burr, 007Spartan and 3 others repped this.
  5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As a lifelong Lions fan, I'll say their bid getting shitcanned is probably in everyone's best interest.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's their refusal to give up the Thanksgiving game.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say to-MAY-to, I say "Becks is screwed"

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If still owning a Major League Soccer team and playing in a purpose built stadium is "screwed" then sign me up!

TrueCrew and sitruc repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what I meant. Don't be a jerk.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sure, but you shouldn't purposely miss the forest for the trees.

Yeah, the Miami Freedom Park might very well go the way of Poplar Point, McKinney, Three Trails, Dublin and countless other close but no cigar stadium projects, but Inter Miami FC will take "a" field next year.

11. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Yep. And that field, for at least the next two seasons and probably many more, will not be in Dade County.

AndyMead repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Indeed, and while there are plenty of negatives of a Miami club playing in Fort Lauderdale, it's not particularly a new phenomenon, and on the plus side they will be playing in a brand new, purpose built, club run soccer stadium.

Glass half full, glass half empty.

13. StevenPrada

StevenPrada Member

Jan 26, 2001
    That would, at least in part, explain why the Toronto Marlies do decently well attendance wise. The Maple Leafs are their parent team, but they play in the same city in arenas very close to each other (2 miles?), and still draw pretty well for an AHL team. I don't know how common it is to have stadiums or arenas that close to each other, but thought it was unusual.

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worked great for a Chicago team playing in Bridgeview.

Is Commerce City doing well for the Denver based team?

At least Columbus was forced to build downtown [emoji849]

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not every market is the same... Sporting KC and LA Galaxy have done well in their non-downtown location. Philly did well the first few years until the incompetence of the owner drove away the fanbase. Minnesota is located between the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul and seem to do well..

Not that there aren’t issues with Miami, but I’m jot sure their “temporary” stadium is the biggest...

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What's wrong with Commerce City?

And I would say 20 years in Crew Stadium was a success given what the stadium was and when it was built.

Bridgeview? Well at least the team didn't relocate out of Chicagoland, and it was probably better than Cardinal Stadium in Naperville.

JasonMa and jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did it though? The Fire weren't making money playing there. The fans had did not have enough interest to bother making the trek to Bridgeview, particularly when the weather was less than desirable. They had little to no control over other events in the stadium. While moving to Soldier Field may hurt them financially in the short term, in the long term it is in the best interests for the overall growth and health of the team.

Actually, yes it does work. KSE makes money hand over fist at that location with the plethora of fields in the overall complex, so yes, it does work.

Forced? I guess Dong Arble or his alter ego Don Garble held a gun to the Haslams heads and told therm to build a stadium in Columbus' Stadium district or else....

Crew Stadium is iconic and proved the concept that kept the league alive in order for it to thrive today. It's showing its age. The Crew have new deep pocketed and local owners now who are investing in the team. We get that you are still, and probably forever will be pissed off at MLS HQ and Garber specifically. That's great, keep that to the Crew forums. This part of BS is supposed to be a neutral space.

bselig, JasonMa and Stupid_American repped this.
  18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Not defending his post but I thought a new dt stadium for the Crew was stated as a requirement for any new owner by the league.

19. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Philly averaged over 92% of their stadium capacity this year. They are doing fine.

Stupid_American and jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was, but don’t let facts get in the way of jay’s post.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could be doing a lot better though. Ownership really squandered a golden opportunity to carve out their own piece of the Philly Sports Landscape when all of the other teams were in the crapper. They need to build upon this past season going forward to move into the "doing fine" category. Quite frankly, good enough isn't.

22. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  23. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    Just popping in to say, that sentence is an incredibly efficient display of the proper use of it's and its. Job well done.

Also, while I'm here... the fact that Inter Miami will not be playing in Hard Rock Stadium, not even on an interim basis, seems like an incredibly wasted opportunity. I know Ross was approached and said no, ostensibly because of the tennis event, but still... That stadium looks great since the addition of the roof, and seems to be in a nice central location. An Orlando-style entry into the league, in a larger stadium with 30k+ crowds for 2-3 (or more) years, could have made them instantly relevant.

Burr and jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Marlies do well attendance-wise because no one can afford a Leafs ticket. Ordinary fans who want to see the Leafs in person have to take an international junket to Buffalo.

25. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Interesting they would be making so much money there yet the Rapids are the lowest valued team in the league and lose money.

For the Rapids fans I hope you are right and not just making stuff up.