The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we'd get at least four started this year. And I guess we have if you count Miami's maybe not so temporary digs.

But Miami's other project and Nashville are looking shaky right now.

But Sacramento & St. Louis look solid. Cincy, Austin, & Columbus are started already. That is five.

Another expansion team, Citeh, or a Chicago/NE breakthrough could add another.

But the range is likely 5-8.

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait until Minneapolis gets a team... :)

3. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS can get these stadiums up before the economic slowdown, then MLS will be in great shape. This brick-and-mortar era will be ending soon and that folks it the end game for sustainability (as long as MLS stays relevant that is).

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what now?

RafaLarios, crookeddy, DBR70 and 5 others repped this.
  5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you hear? Brick and Mortar stadiums are dead, man! In the future, all of our teams will be playing in "Virtual" Stadiums with pristine grass fields and a roof over the stands so it will amplify the sound!

Yeah, maybe then the Revs will get their own soccer stadium without the Patriots' lines all over the field!

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So that's why it's strictly electronic tickets. Better upgrade my smart phone. :)

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're still using a phone?! Grandpa!

athletics68 repped this.
  8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This probably sounded brilliant in your head, but whatever you were trying to say did not get conveyed by your post.

TrueCrew, crookeddy, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no... his point got conveyed...

It’s just not every day you read something that ridiculous.

DBR70 repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    64 meters. The same as width as...

upload_2019-11-4_16-25-1.png

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. :)

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Twitch viewing numbers aside, even the major eSports like LoL and Dota 2 are building their own arenas.

athletics68 and Namrog The Just repped this.
  13. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was the Korean baseball team that a few years back installed robot fans:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536

In the future, robot fans will watch robot players, while humans will live deep underground scrounging out a meager and blighted existence while constantly attempting to avoid their ruthless robot overlords.

On the plus side, during the Robot Era, the USA will have an excellent chance at finally winning a World Cup due to our previous pre-Robot Era artificial intelligence head start. We can but hope for the best.

song219, Honore de Ballsac and Allez RSL repped this.
  14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Did people not notice that the new StL stadium has a hall for eSports (and wedding venues I guess)?

15. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New update on Lockhart Stadium.
    RAISE THE ROOF | Construction Update | 11/04/19

16. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ones being built at the sports complex here in Philly.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maing, an eSports arena back in the day was a big, old couch filled living room with a big ass tube TV, cans of beer all over the place, on a Saturday early morning, i.e. Friday night not lights out, filled with all your buddies who didn't manage to score with a hottie that night. FIFA'99 n GoldenEye soN!

the cup repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

Hell, even MLS is getting in. The day of the All-Star Game in Atlanta last year, I took more photos at the eMLS All-Star Challenge than I did at the game at MBS.

ajm180801mlsasg2766_emls_challenge.jpg

athletics68 repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Forbes eSports list (these are organizations, not specific teams). This is more akin to things like Hunt Sports Group or a international organizations like Real Madrid which is more than just the men's soccer team. A bunch of these orgs have eSports teams or players in multiple games.

As much as people complain about MLS values being overinflated, there is a real bubble going on in eSports, but it's likely something will survive. The problem is that most of the money invested will disappear, but in the long run, something will succeed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christ...ompanies-in-esports-are-surging/#7045b0de324d

Burr repped this.
  20. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! True! I used talk to text. Let me rephrase and still get bashed: MLS is getting their stadiums and buildings up now and will not have to in the future. This means the brick-and-mortar investment era is ending. That then will lead to potentially more spending. The economy is headed for a recession soon(every 10-15) and it is fantastic that most teams have their stadiums and permits in place before all the potential budget cuts.

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Along those lines, the timing worked well for the Crew to get a deal they wouldn't have received 5 or 10 years ago. The city, county, and state were all sitting on budget surpluses which hadn't been spoken for by the usual long line of groups wanting money.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where are the teams going to play in the future? Here in New Engerland, the Patriots' place has been around since 2002 and the mall has grown around it. It still has some years left, but at some point it will be considered "obsolete." The Pats aren't going to have as much land available to build their new place without taking up huge sections of parking, but they will have to build somewhere.

And the day that new place gets built is the day the Revs play their first league home game somewhere other than Gillette.

23. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about the Revs, but then again what else is new. Man they need a stadium and NYC.

24. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    This is Progress?????

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy to forget about the Revs when they have zero visibility and the ownership puts in zero effort to change that. Hopefully with Arena that will change. He already has improved things dramatically on the field and for the first time in many years, fans are actually optimistic.

On the stadium front, it's a tough sell. I don't necessarily blame Kraft for not wanting to drop $300 million or more for an SSS when he already has a place for them to fill dates and drive foot traffic to the mall when the Pats aren't playing. But I do blame Kraft for not making even a quarter-assed effort to make the Revs as relevant as they can be, even if they have to play on a plastic pitch in a soul-less concrete edifice in a lifeless suburban shopping mall.

Even little things like maybe have some Revs signage at their games? Then again, I had to laugh when I flipped around the TV Sunday and saw the Chargers were attempting a field goal. Behind the uprights were signs for the Galaxy having won MLS Cup and the Suppprters Shield, so it happens to bush-league NFL teams too.