The Miracle Match/Game of their Lives DVD

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by transrapide, Jul 26, 2006.

1. transrapide

transrapide Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Natick, MA
    I just noticed on Netflix that FINALLY Game of their Lives is due out on DVD on September 12. But the title was changed to "The Miracle Match"??? Does anyone know the reason for the change? Sounds like a more British-friendly title to me. I've been waiting to see it again and also to show it to my girls' soccer team.

The whole distribution for this film was a circus act and handled so poorly. I understand the money ran out and they had very little marketing support. Any other information out there?

2. NYCONEONTA

NYCONEONTA New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    New York
    Movie wasn't that good. You can tell the budget was low. Still, I'd watch it again but only cuz I love soccer.

3. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an earlier thread on this I started which offered some reasons:

1. "Miracle Match" is more recognizable as "soccer" overseas, which might boost sales;

2. Avoid confusion with the recent Disney golf movie, "The Greatest Game Ever Played" (or something like that);

3. Avoid confusion with the documentary about the 1966 North Korea World Cup team, also called "The Game Of Their Lives"

Personally, I thought the movie was good...not great, but worth owning and repeated viewings.

4. Beadling Boy

Beadling Boy Member

Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the past couple of years, two half-decent soccer movies have been released (limited release) to the theaters in the U.S. Because of the limited releases and the still relatively small interest in soccer, the movies did not fare too well in the box office. Which leads me to my question . . .

Why would "Goal - The Dream Begins" http://videoeta.com/movie.html?via=form&id=81898 and "The Game of Their Lives" (renamed "Miracle Match") http://videoeta.com/movie/71328 be released to DVD on the very same day?

There is only a relatively limited number of soccer afficionados who are interested in purchasing these DVD's. Thus, why would they not spread out these two releases so that they are not fighting for the same piece of small pie on the very same day?

Seems like an idiotic move from both companies.

5. transrapide

transrapide Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Buena Vista (Disney) took over the distribution of the new DVD. So it should reach a wide audience this time.

The original marketing banked on Freddy Adu (dumb move) and MLS for its appeal and really did not get released widely. The film was pretty decent, and the game action from the match was filmed very well by Anspaugh (as to be expected) on location in Brazil. But from what I've read, the budget dried up and some of the back story lines were cut from the final film as a result. The story w/ Patrick Stewart was added late and changed again and again.

It's good for those who like soccer and good to show to youth teams. I think it's important that these gentlemen who were unknown for years get some credit for what they accomplished.