The Michael Carrick Celebration Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to move on from him as a starter or regular, I am in complete agreement there. But if he feels he has another season in him, I certainly would not want to jettison him either and would actually want to keep as an alternative to a regular starter or as a squaddie.
    You're speaking as if he's become some albatross around the club's neck who brings nothing of value to the team, when nothing is actually further from the truth...

Father Ted repped this.
  2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agreed with Ashur here... yes he shouldn't be a starter at this stage so we need to bring in more players for that role.

3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think what Teso is saying is that maybe our managers in the past, even the current one maybe, see our squad and say, we have a 6, a brilliant 6, Michael Carrick. But we don't really - he's available for 1/2-2/3 of the games. But seeing Carrick, and a player of his stature, in the squad may make a manager hesitate to bring in a new 6.

He's in the zone where he's clearly not past it, but also clearly not unable to contribute for 45-50 games a year. It's a strange gray zone that in the long term may make us be a step behind in recruitment, if that makes any sense.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #204 Ashur, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    It really shouldn't be that difficult of "confused" and the fact that we brought in a player like Schneiderlin who ultimately did not work out unfortunately is proof of that. Carrick, and it's been the case for the past 2-3 seasons, hasn't and certainly should not in any way prevent the club from bringing in a top midfielder, be it a DLP or DCM.
    And this coming summer is absolutely no different: because of his age and the fact that he's no longer reliable in terms of staying fit, he's really half a player for us in a sense. But it doesn't mean that in a reduced role he would not have anything to offer either.
    And in the end, I really have to believe that Jose realizes full well that extending Carrick's contract doesn't mean that he's set in that position and doesn't need to dip into the market for a new starter. That sounds like a big leap and something I simply refuse to believe. And it's precisely why I've mentioned, it's really not a matter of "either/or" as far as Carrick is concerned.

5. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know it's of no use now, But I wish morgan had stayed.

6. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't He backpassed a goal to Spurs today.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me wished he had perhaps more of a chance, but ultimately, he just didn't work out for us. Besides, him leaving pretty much guarantees that Jose will be bringing in a top CM this summer. So from that perspective alone, it's best that he moved on and I'm glad he's at a place where he will be in a position to do well for himself.

sdotsom repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    johno repped this.
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are reports suggesting that the club have opened talks with Carrick for an extension on his contract. Imagine it will be pretty quick and straightforward.
    Carrick's performances have dropped as of late, but he could still be of use, for what will probably be his final season, as a squad guy. Plus, it would be nice if he could leave having won a major trophy with United.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We need to stop postponing the inevitable, let him leave and move forward as a team.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm somewhat tempted to cut the cord if only if it forces us to buy a replacement. It's obviously not a one or the other situation. But it is incredibly annoying that our best midfield 3 cannot be played anywhere near regularly as the fulcrum is at the end of his career.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #215 Ashur, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    It's not purely sentimental. Even if we get a guy who will replace him, Carrick surely would have something to offer in small doses. Not to mention, he's a veteran presence around the team that could be helpful as well.
    Hopefully, at some point next season, even other backups will have emerged, facilitating him stepping down for good at the end of the season.

16. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Mourinho want to keep Carrick around for one more year and also have him around as an assistant to the U-23s

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we stop with "news/reports" from the Sun of all places?

19. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He hasn't exactly been his best recently.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't, but I still wouldn't mind have him stay another season as a squad guy for one final year. Doesn't change the urgent need for a new starting 6 of course. Can't imagine there wouldn't be a time or two where he'd come in handy.
    Not to mention, he'll be one of the last senior presences in the locker room, especially if Rooney leaves as expected.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    that's pretty much all he'll be. even his passing isn't as crisp anymore and he is giving the ball away more than usual.

OK, yes sometimes we are shit at showing for the ball to progess play but even some no pressure situations he's lost possession.

now i'm not hammering the guy because we should bear in mind his age etc. but he is in decline and that's undeniable and that's fine too. we are yet again relying on a 35+ mid for a significant contribution

i actually got a Carrick 16 shirt over Ibrahimović 9 this year in anticipation of his last season with us

22. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't let all the vet leadership walk out in one window. He can still be a bit part player. One more year would not hurt.

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. There are going to be quite a few games next year where we'll need to rest whoever the Carrick replacement is and you can't do much better than replacing the Carrick replacement for such matches, especially against the bus parkers, with Carrick himself.

That said, I'd also like to see Fosu-Mensah mentored into the role.

We're going to have to play 55-60 games next season and whoever the Carrick replacement is going to be is likely going to be an international. Keep Carrick, but only for one more season.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If it means we do not sign the #6 we need I am not amused.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Im leaning towards not signing a 6. The available talent in that position aren't the right type of player. We may as well keep Carrick as a backup and play Ander there when needed and purchase an 8, of which there are several suitable candidates.

I would then focus on getting the other areas sorted.