The Michael Carrick Celebration Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    surprised and not surprised we don't have one. the older ones were back and forth debate about him being too soft like when Olić overpowered him for that header etc. when people (myself included) didn't fully appreciate his talent or just didn't care for him that much at the time.

regardless, 8 years ago today he was signed and it's been a great 8 years so good time for a new thread i think

Michael-Carrick-MU-HD-Desktop-Wallpaper.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

benni... and J'can repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just did a passes successful, forward and backward comparison of a few CMs on Sqwaka.

upload_2014-7-31_9-27-27.png

This is just to illustrate how often Carrick finds a way to pass forward when compared to some other good CMs. Notice how people bitch about Cleverley, but the difference between him and everyone else bar, Carrick is hardly noticeable.

I, more than most, have a huge appreciation for Carrick. I know it isn't popular, but I think he's been the best CM we've had since before Keane's knees went. He's not always pretty, but he's always effective and were it not for him, the last 8 years might not have been so successful. Proof that you don't have to shout to be heard, Michael Carrick has become and remains one of the top CMs in the game.

Attached Files:

Canon, Jon Pall, benni... and 5 others repped this.
  3. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This thread title sacred the crap out of me. I thought something bad might have happened.

LGRod, Nathan18 and J'can repped this.
  4. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    It is unfortunate that Carrick only had 2 seasons with a genuine CM partner of quality.

5. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hargreaves was actually here 4 seasons.

LGRod and Gnome repped this.
  6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Are you writing that from the Utd physio treatment room?

benni... and LGRod repped this.
  7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Me too. Damn you RVN!!

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    uhh OK? ill change it

9. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. I feel we could have won at least one more CL (atleast one of the 2 CL finals we lost) had we paired him with a good quality CM. I am genuinely worried that age is going to catch up to him now. Considering the amount of games he has played over the last 8 years we start to see him get injured a lot. Its sad because I feel we wasted his prime years by not pairing him with a proper CM. Yeah we won PL titles but the CL, we could have sure won one more.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think he'll be fine. It isn't as though he uses physical gifts. He'll probably split time between CM and CB. As the 'sweeper' in the back 3 he could thrive.

11. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i wonder if there is a way that the new arrivals will see carrick in a position to take a few shots per game. i would like to see him routinely take at least 2-3 shots from mid range each game. i think he needs to be aggressive in that regard. he doesnt need to barn storm past the forward players to run in the box but i think it is imperative he now resurrects that shot to give us some variation to his and our game.

any thoughts on this being the case?

@johno

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He needs to be fit.

Carrick will always be the furtherest back central midfielder due to his role. However he will move vertically when we attack so there is always a central point available in order to switch play. If the defence is sorted then it frees Carrick to be slightly more adventurous in order to take advantage of any lapses in the opponent when we are in possession. At the moment if he goes too far forward or looks to shoot then we are ********ed on the transition due to our defence. It should also be noted that if three at the back is here to stay then one of the central defenders should be stepping out to enable Carrick to be proactive when we have the ball.

13. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    uhm thanks @johno

seriously, who the fcuk is this guy??

:D

14. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    hopeful that blind can be his long term replacement

15. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Carrick hasn't worn shooting boots or the 8 years he's been here, I hardly think he's going to start popping up with them now, regardless of the tactics.

I still remember how amazing it was to see him score against Roma back in the CL game in 06-07.

16. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I should've played the lottery that day. Everything was going right.

Jon Pall repped this.
  17. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was a pretty much perfect match.

18. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Rush back. Break down.

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's the Man United way.

topnoevili repped this.
  21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    We need him and soon.

22. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seriously. Herrera is still learning his feet, but that leaves us Fletch who's been appalling and....Anderson.

I see us possibly misusing Mata or maybe Wazza as a CM, and possibly even calling up a kid.

23. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Blind is a CM.

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    dunno why people keep forgetting that. maybe the WC

25. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Probably because we have 6 new players for the first time in forever. Can't keep up with em all.