The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Once again: Bradley should be a #8 for us, not a #6.

But no one is going to remember it until next time one of his turnovers cost us a game.

orcrist repped this.
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley dropping back to take the ball of the feet of the CBs, turn and bring the ball forward is a bad idea and no successful teams play that way. That was Klinsmann's major point of tactical contention about MB90 in the #6 role.

Some may be confusing it with the modern 'exchange' where a DM will drop back into a CB slot and allow one of the CBs to drive forward, wide right or left with the ball, in order to vary the point of attack. In that scenario the DM replaces one of the CB for the duration of that sequence. You will frequently see Jones drop into the slot and wave either Cameron or Brooks with the ball, forward in order to vary the point of attack.

GoBigBlue88 repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Andrea Pirlo was used that way with Juventis.

The effect is that the d-mid is utilized in the 'quarterback' role of deep-lying maker.

In the attack, the 2015 MLS Cup-finalists Crew looked like:

-------------------Kamara------------------
    -----------Meram---------------------Finlay--
    -------------------------Higuain----------
    --Francis-----Tchani--------------------------Aful----
    ------------Wahl-----Trapp----Parkhurst----
    ---------------------Clark------

In terms of functionally matching each position, the US especially fell short with Bedoya at RAM and Garza at LB. Bedoya, in this system, needs to compete for a central role. Garza lacks the pace and attacking nous for a quasi-wingback role, More importantly, even before the hip injury, he wasn't good enough for international level.

GoBigBlue88 repped this.
  4. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Just wanted to say thanks for the replies to my tactical questions. Too many to quote here. Always cool to learn tactical things I didn't know before.

Since I've derailed this a bunch anyway: is the German numbers system gone with Klexit? Just curious. Get that a 6, 8, 10, 9 etc. are largely universally-understood positions. Just wondering if US soccer is going to insist I re-orient the 2-5 positions for my kids...

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley has got to be on thin ice now.........

I really think our best midfield right now is

Nagbe--------------Feilhaber------------Pulisic
    ------------------------Jones-----------------------

And Id also like to give Acosta and Roldan good looks at the 6 spot as well, because Bradley needs a fire lit under his butt

Dervos repped this.
  6. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    In a vacuum, I think Fabian instead of Nagbe would make that our best midfield

but we've never played a game in a vacuum.

7. jlaw15

jlaw15 Member

Feb 3, 2017
    I have no idea why people think Fabian would be such a good winger for us, whenever we've played him outside of LB he's looked very meh. Jones isn't a trustworthy enough Dmid, he likes to get foward too much, he'd leave holes to be exploited.

Bradley is our best Dmid option.

Editor In Chimp and Pragidealist repped this.
  8. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Jones is a horrible 6 for usmnt. Undisciplined, never plays the simple pass when a hero ball will do, and his instinct is to attack instead of cover

COMtnGuy, lmorin and russ repped this.
  9. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this. ^^

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which specific USMNT matches that Jones played the #6 was he "undisciplined, never plays the simple pass when a hero ball will do, and his instinct is to attack instead of cover"?

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think you win this round because Jones has barely played as a 6 for us, the one match I remember was in the lead up to the WC and he played an uncharacteristically reserved game.

On Bradley, we had 8 shots in the 60 or so minutes he was off the field, 1 in the 30 he played. Probably a coincidence and due to game state/pre-season legs but still.

12. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is a coincidence at all, but I think it is due to this dropping back to become a third center back cum Andre Pirlo thing he is doing. It results in inviting pressure and removing actual passing options in mid field, particularly with 2 strikers playing. Either Bradley or the GK or CB's being forced to just hoof it long and it has absolutely no positive aspect to balance out the huge negative. Once Bradley came on our attack died as we just pumped aimless long balls forward.

I am not blaming Bradley btw, it may be by design.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Interesting theory, not sure it happened so much tonight.

14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    what if Jones, McCarty, Lletget, Feilhaber, Nagbe and Kjletsan are better then Bradley in the middle at the moment? This is a distinct possibility.... one that wont be analyzed on the field but could be possible at the moment.

napper repped this.
  15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Granted i haven't seen that much as a 6 but we have seen that as the double pivot .. it isnt much of a stretch to think those characteristics would carry over

16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His dad obviously does. *Insert nepotism thread memories here.*

18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1368 deuteronomy, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    lol, it's been a year since I heard that word . . .

Didn't expect you to be the one . .:)

19. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Minor quibble...

Bradley is a very good Dmid option. He also has versatility and can slide into other roles in the midfield as subs are brought on. He has a 90min motor. And he's been there before in qualifying. For all these reasons he likely gets the start at the 6.

But on a pure Dmid basis, I'd go with Dax. His brain is simply wired for the classic 6 role: disrupting attacks while still in the midfield, tackling, positioning to shut down passing lanes, seeing and picking up midfield runners into the box, and possessing safely in that critical zone of the field. Bradley is very good at that (and provides more elsewhere on the field). Dax to me is better.

20. Berg Antiturf

Berg Antiturf New Member

Nov 3, 2015
    deuteronomy repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Soccer-mad countries don't believe in the "everybody is a winner! pass the orange slices!" approach, it seems.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Soccer mad countries have soccer media that goes beyond a few blogs and Alexi Lalas. Not like Bradley is getting special treatment. I've also noticed a distinct lack of Timmy Chandler lowlights on SportsCenter over the years.

23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Fabian...midfield...vacuum...

Man the jokes just write themselves.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    When was the last time Jones actually played a d mid role for the US?

I agree he would be a poor choice for that role but I can't actually recall many games where he was in that role.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    You have to accept call ups to get on Sportscenter