The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Would be interesting to see how Bradley would do in Mexico. Higher quality overall than MLS, but tends to be a slower paced league.

2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Nailed it!

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can be a snarky turd all you want, but that doesn't make you right about this one. Blind hatred for Michael Bradley doesn't make that goal his fault.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why exactly would your #6 leave zone 14 undefended to drop wide in front of a striker who has 2 CBs behind him?

nowherenova repped this.
  5. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Easy big fella. I'm simply appreciating the originality and comedic genius on display.

6. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, it has been all too easy to lay the blame on Bradley for anything and everything since his initial introduction ton the USMNT. I think if you look at the facts closely, you'll agree that he was even responsible for the US finishing last in WC98. That was just a warmup for the 2008 debacle resulting from the Garber/Gulati collusion.

WrmBrnr and tomásbernal repped this.
  7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #3782 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    And if you look at the facts, you will see that we built an entire decade around him as our "spine" and that just seemed to eventually coincide with worst period in USMNT history.

In 2010 world cup, his stupid wheel run pass to Clark, led to a Ghana goal and his lack of situational awareness vs Portugal in 2014 led to another goal. Even when he was really good, he was responsible for negative points against us to cancel out his positive points for us in WC's.

Dude is the most over-protected, spoiled brat player in US history. His daddy drafted him at 16 years old. His daddy gave him the keys to the midfield of a National Team at 19 years old.

Journalists on ESPN are still worried to criticize him to this day. Got to protect that job, right Moreno and Herc? It was easy to go after Zardes and then kiss garbers ass by claiming Bradley is an auto starter and then Bradley is at the level of Pulisic.

Bradley got DESTROYED by Roldan in MLS recently.

yurch10 repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s no defending him post Brazil...but you’re saying 2009-2014 was half of the worst decade in our history.

I’m pretty confident you’re alone in that view.

But i’m Praying for you.

WrmBrnr, Mr Martin and DHC1 repped this.
  9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    well I did say "eventually" . So thanks for the prayers!

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WrmBrnr, harttbeat and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can't take another 13 yrs of him so he can tie LD.

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That assist stat list is pretty sobering, actually. I would have thought that 23 career assists would be much lower in the rankings than 2nd place.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It's amazing how many assists Landon had in addition to tying the goal record. Impressive, most impressive

xbhaskarx, majspike, onefineesq and 3 others repped this.
  15. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    yeah ever since wc 2018 debacle, we hope ppl actually appreciate the legacy LD did bring to the USMNT. Ppl here still mock him for the off field stuff but even if he misses couple USMNT games, he shows up for majority of them. He's not injury prone which adds to his greatness.

btw, bradley's assist was kinda behind boyd. Boyd was trying to make the run inside and bradley delivered the boy outside. Ooo well

schrutebuck repped this.
  16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Donovan stands alone as somebody who played every important US match for an entire decade. Not even Bradley, Dempsey, or Howard, to name 3 players who earned a bunch of caps, reached that level of consistency in being able to accept callups. Yeah, Donovan has 2006 on his record, but a bunch of his peers have either or both of 2006 and 2018 on their records.

I don't think it's a surprise that US Soccer began its descent when it disgustingly turned on its best player.

WrmBrnr, sXeWesley and butters59 repped this.
  17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Bradley made a couple of nice passes, the one to Boyd for the goal being one of them, even if it wasn't exactly pinpoint; it was good enough. His problem is that he couldn't even stop Guyana from running right through him in the midfield. Guyana. That and watching him at least twice I can recall getting caught in possession. Against a team at this level, that crap should be completely unacceptable.

18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have been interesting to see Donovan in his prime playing alongside Pulisic right now.

19. bob347

bob347 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 15, 2017
    And probably 90% plus of the fan base agrees with you but why absolutely no one in the US Soccer media does is mind boggling.

russ and TimB4Last repped this.
  20. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even in 2006, he had this from the most underrated match in US Men's team history, the game against Italy:

Man of the match

Landon Donovan - A touch of class in a chaotic match. The American golden boy was the most technically accomplished performer on the pitch, displaying the skill and vision to make Italy's defence look ordinary.

That's from the Guardian UK's coverage of the game. Can't find the quote at the moment, but after the game, Totti commented "Number 10 was everywhere."

The difference he could have made in 2014 was massive. But it wasn't US Soccer, It was one guy, although US soccer let him get away with it.

WrmBrnr, Mr Martin, majspike and 3 others repped this.
  21. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not sure how much more Berhalter needs to see before he realizes Bradley is past it. No shame in it, every player goes through it. He did well and was a solid player for a bit. Had his ups and downs, and I think got more criticism than he deserved simply because the media blitz to build him as a star was on. But now he is getting shredded by Guyana and left a lot to be desired with his long passing (the assist was off) which was his one hold on he had left. Its time for him to focus his play on his club and maybe the GC is that for him.

sXeWesley, yurch10 and moleman repped this.
  22. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I really, really don't like Trapp at this level. If he's the alternative, it's better to be a has-been than a never-was.

23. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I know many will disagree, but this is the big difference I'm seeing between Pulisic and Donovan. Pulisic is very good at making individual players look very ordinary as he blows past them, but Donovan was adept at making an entire team look ordinary by playing the conductor and then striking at the right moment. Pulisic never seems to be the guy to pull the strings and create coordinated movements with several players involved, while Donovan was never able to take players on the dribble from a stand still the way Pulilsic can. Both players have a lot to offer, but even though they are both attackers, exactly what they offer is very different.

Mr Martin repped this.
  24. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp is at least younger and could get better. I dont think he will. But he has the room to based on his age. Bradley will only get worse. And if both are making the same mistakes play the younger guy in hopes he gets better. Or you know call in someone else besides two players who clearly arent good enough.

DHC1 repped this.
  25. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    It’s time to move on. He doesn’t have the pace, defensive awareness, or passing required at the international level any longer. Let’s hope the Gold Cup is his swan song.