The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that either are considered a core player is concerning to me.

3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither are international quality in 2019 and it's sad the SUMUSSF saddles it's non MLS fans with that pedestrian level of soccer.

4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #3705 DHC1, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Lol.

I guess I’m not surprised that some MLS-over USMNT fans feel that having MB as a player of CP/TA stature is copacetic.

Part of the 23? Ok. One of the core players? C’mon.

6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Actually it was kind of a joke that could be taken one of two ways:
    1. Pass the salt so I can rub salt in your/our wounds
    2. pass the salt because I take that as speculation that may or may not be true.

I was kind of curious how people would take it.

Regardless, I take your statement as a core to build around as the takeaway as somewhat misleading. I take build to mean going forward for future (longer term), while I think he was speaking specifically of the Gold Cup. I don't see how anyone in their right mind would build around a 30+ year old player for an event that is still 3+ years away. For now, I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that Pulisic, Adams and McKennie are the big three that he is planning to build the team around. Maybe another will emerge in the next year or two (remember how many of us felt that Adams was worthy of building the team around 1 year ago?)

I agree that Bradley isn't/shouldn't be a long term solution. I also believe Trapp is less than ideal as well. I wouldn't play either in my first 11, but my buddy Greg doesn't get paid by me so we will see what actually happens at the Gold Cup. We'll see if he plays the same against Guyana and Panama as he does against Mexico etc. We will still have a lot of questions but we should know a lot more than we know now.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I thought you were drinking tequila.

Three and Three and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #3708 DHC1, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    There’s no rationale for MB being a core player along with CP/TA for the Gold Cup either, especially as you acknowledge that he’s not likely to be part of the Qatar group.

Yet the idea is floated by a highly visible reporter.

Excellency repped this.
  9. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    and as stated before, this same group seems to also be floating the idea that our best 11 will consist of Adams at RB, Trapp at the #6 and MB moved up to the #8? This crap has to end sometime?

UncagedGorilla and btlove repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never understood what liking MLS has to do with this since both MB, WT and TA have all played for years in MLS. So explain how wanting a young player who did so well in his years in MLS that he went to Europe and in his 5 months there has been a hit to be starting over two other MLS players including one who spent a lot of time in Europe means one doesn't like MLS? there is definately some dopiness from some of these writers who favor MB and / or WT over TA but it must be more along the old buddies type of thing.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think it would be deeply problematic for MLS if the USMNT was successful at a WC without much participation from current MLS players. Even though they would deservedly receive a lot of credit for developing the TA/WM/MMs of the team, it would fly in the face of much of Garber's historical messaging.

UncagedGorilla and russ repped this.
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i think the league is beyond that. for instance no way bradley or jozy get those deals now

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. The oddest aspect of that for me was that it was a Canadian team that signed both.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we have another semi-successful World Cup I could see MLS doing it again.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    MLS clubs would gladly copy Toronto FC and pay a premium for the 2019 versions of proven and consistently healthy US national team stars, but the only US players who could really demand such a contract like Donovan, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, Jones, and Howard are either (1) younger than 21 years old or (2) worth less in MLS because they're defenders (Brooks and Yedlin).

If Bobby Wood hadn't dropped off the map, then he would be a serious contender for one.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You think that MLS would pay a premium over Chelsea? CP’s contract should multiples above those you listed.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I concede the point. I'd imagine that an MLS club could pay up to $10 million a year for Pulisic, but that's probably less than what he'll make for Chelsea.

DHC1 repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Knock on wood, lets see what would happen if CP doesn’t work at at Chelsea.

It would be awful if he came to MLS in his prime for $10m/year. Devastatingly awful. He is not a hothouse flower like Landon.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Also, I'd argue that Adams is on the verge of joining Pulisic in the club of players who MLS would immediately pay a premium for, with McKennie running a little behind Adams. The reasons why MLS would value Adams ahead of McKennie are the immediate rumors of big club interest and proven success in MLS, while McKennie is hindered by injuries and Schalke too often treating him like a position-less nomad.

DHC1 repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    We need a full squad playing in the majors at a minimum. Ideally, most we be UCL as well.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hindsight the lack of players in Europe and UCL and all the comments on the Fed pushing MLS are seemingly related. The missing generation wasn't good enough for good teams in Europe to be interested and the few who were there wern't any better or not much better than the MLS players. The whole problems was about 6-8 years of average players after a decade or so of some really good players some of whom did play for big teams in Europe. It now appears the pipeline is not only back up but improved as there are more players in the minors with big Euro clubs than ever before so unless all of them fail there should be record numbers in a few years.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Summing up, if we can get the powers that be to take their collective thumb off the scale, we'll be fine.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    nah, not stunning. Ives, to people who know him well, is a major Bradley supporter due to personal ties. if his site ever criticizes the Bradley's, it will likley be a subordinate who wrote the article. so Ives can claim plausible deniability and still allow his workers free speech.

A lot of journalists have ties to Bradley's from the metrostars days. Brian Sciaretta another new jersey based reporter is another one who you will never get a criticism from.

TOAzer repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of highlights of MIchael Bradley looking like a traffic cone against Atlanta and Darlington Nagbe from yesterday.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...back-track-beat-toronto-fc-third-straight-win

Typically Bradley. The alleged defensive midfielder is just jogging around the ball without applying any effective pressure. The second goal is particularly funny. He lets the attack develop past him, while pointing for other players to cover ground that his legs cannot reach. Meanwhile he allows Gressel to take an extra touch in space and bang home the goal.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States