The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I see we're back to criticizing Bradley based on who his father is. Fun.

2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #3602 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Wouldent you say, his father, the coach from 2006-2011 was not only his biggest supporter but also now his biggest downfall. At 31, Bradley moves very old and slow. Did we really need to have Bradley fly across the world for some of those meaningless games years ago? I say if we had a more even approach with Bradley and garber did not throw a big fat salary at his feet to piss of Klinsmann, we get Pre-2016 Bradley from 2017 (we are in the world cup) and he helps us to 2020 and then retires.

Now he is lucky if he ever gets more than 15 minutes in a US game from here on out.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I was actually doing you and your SUM crew a favor. If I just said Bradley got a big- salary because of his family relationship with Garber it would be even more pathetic.

BTW, whats the name of Don Garber's dog?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tinfoil it is.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had photoshop skills I'd have WTF90 crawling out from the shedded husk of MB90, with Garber in the background like this:

[​IMG]

adam tash repped this.
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Michael Bradley's biggest asset at his peak was his work rate. He was a tireless runner who covered a ton of ground. When your big strength is your ability to run and your legs stat to go.... well...

russ, adam tash and IndividualEleven repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is more a test of command-line morphing tbh.

[​IMG]

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    What an idiotic article and premise.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Bob Bradley wasn't the NT manager for the vast majority of Michael's caps.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Just caps 3-59.

Bradley - 57 caps in 4.5 years
    Klinsmann - 67 caps in 5.5 years
    Arena - 14 caps in a 1.0 year
    4 more caps in 2006 & 2018

The only time Bradley wasnt an auto starter for 2007 through 2017 was the second half of 2011???

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Right; 85 or the 142 came other under managers. Blaming Bob for Klinsmann and Arena calling him in to every single camp for 7 years is a bit much.

WrmBrnr and DHC1 repped this.
  13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yep, they are all to blame and Bob had nothing to do with his 82 caps after the 2011 GC.

Klinsmann did make him win the spot and it was tougher argument from 2012 to mid 2017 that there were better options than in 2007 and 2008. I think it was unfortunate that Bob was coach when Michael was still young and going all in on his potential. Many coaches would have made the same decision, same as I hope our next coach relies on Adams and Mckennie unless some huge prospect forces a different decision.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If Bradley believes that his best years are still ahead, he's self-delusional.

But aren't we all?

russ repped this.
  16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Most of us are fully congnizant that our best years are not ahead of us. Michael owns his self-delusions.

russ repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I probably could have been clearer there. I didn't mean that we all feel our best years are ahead of us - I don't - but that we are all self-delusional (in some way).

I remembered (but didn't bother to find) a promotional blurb some years ago for The Iceman Cometh, with a tag line that has stayed with me. Here it is:

"Quotidian Theatre Company opens its 16th season with this rarely performed masterpiece by Nobel laureate and Pulitzer Prize-winner Eugene O'Neill. In a shabby New York hotel saloon in 1912, the down-and-out await their salvation. Hickey, the charismatic salesman, is due for a visit, and he usually provides good cheer, dirty jokes and free drinks for all. When Hickey arrives this time, however, he's a changed man, and he brings with him a sobering truth that his old friends don't want to hear. O'Neill's ambitious ensemble piece wrestles with the necessity of pipe dreams -- the lies we tell ourselves to make it through each day. The New York Times calls it a "tough, loquacious, magnificent play."

Honore de Ballsac and russ repped this.
  18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Is he just saying these things because saying the opposite (even if it is the truth) would be a huge news story? "Bradley admits to drop in skill!"

Maybe it is just dumb for the media person to even ask the question. Of course, he is out of his prime at the least. Only during the steroid era in baseball did pro athletes change the bell curve of athletic performance.

If Bradley actually could come to grips with his current place and future role, he might be of help. The fact he has been called in again probably means he has and Stewart and GB and Bradley are all on the same page.

If Adams isn't ready or more valuable elsewhere, and Canouse can't make the pass, and Trapp can't defend as well, then it will be Bradley for a time. Or we play a system without that kind of #6.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I read GB comments as respectful but not really guaranteeing anything to MB or acknowledging anything about his play.

It will be telling if MB is captain and starts for this squad. If I was GB, I'd rip the bandaid off now and have a frank conversation with MB now about his role.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'd have to think that conversation was had already. I think Stewart had it with him in October. Bradley was on the bench for the Peru game.

I don't think the USMNT needs Bradley. If he has a role going forward will depend on how he contributes to the team culture almost more than if he is a marginally better midfielder than others. One thing I notice is that when USSF tweets out photos of guys having fun, Bradley is never in the picture. You only see him during pictures where the coach is explaining something.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy is in denial!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it was his Dad who was in Egypt.

jackiesdad, WrmBrnr, superdave and 11 others repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Puns are the lowest form of humor but you, sir, are hysterical.

russ repped this.
  24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    But isn't that standard operating procedure for athletes in general as they age? Even in daily life, age creeps up on us and we often don't notice the effects until after they have been around for some time.

Perfect example: my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I didn't really notice at first. I still don't really notice my loss in distance eyesight too much but am at least aware of it. My nearsightedness, however, wasn't really noticed too much until my arms became too short. I would move objects or reading material slightly out to better focus without really noticing that I was compensating for a loss of something that is so common and necessary for daily life.

My point: Michael Bradley is past, maybe far past his best years. The fact that he may not recognize this is not something that he should be criticized for any more than every other athlete that has shared his affliction in the past. It is simply the job of the manager to recognize the situation and play the best player. I believe that he isn't the best player at this time but that isn't Bradley's decision. It is now Berhalter's.

russ and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think for some you are correct, others prefer to hand it up when they cannot play at their customary level.

Mahtzo1 repped this.