The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why the heck would the suspension not be for the next X competitive matches? You know that there are too many bloody Copa Americas when red cards at the end of one Copa apply to the beginning of the next Copa.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Somebody in the Argentina board posted an excerpt of that rule. Neymar's suspension in CA 2015 carried over to WCQ ... so yeah I don't get it either.

3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    [ESPN FC] | OFFICIAL | Messi takes home the hardware for Best International Men’s Soccer Player at the #ESPYS With 45% of 187,371 votes, Lionel Messi wins the Best International Men’s Soccer Player.

Rattlehead, ShortyMac and Bada Bing repped this.
  4. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Old video. I knew this, but Messi was good at WC 2010.

ShortyMac repped this.
  5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Intriguing to get three players from one country in the top six !!

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Too bad the team was managed by a crazy mofo.

7. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

How good was Messi's Copa America 2015?!

This video with full ratings every match.

8. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    i think iniesta is the most successful dribbler in euro 2012,with 22 dribbles

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Iniesta had 12 successful dribbles in EU12, Ribery 16 and Coentrao 13. At least based on whoscored.com which uses Opta-stats.

10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    https://news.sky.com/story/lionel-m...beach-kickaround-with-english-boy-11-11768761

An 11-year-old English boy has enjoyed the experience of a lifetime after playing beach football with Lionel Messi.

Mackenzie O'Neill was on holiday with his family in Antigua when a man he believed was the superstar's father Jorge asked him if he would like to play.

Mackenzie, who plays in goal for Faversham Strike Force FC, said they played a "full-on match" with "rush goalies" on the sand, with Messi and his son, Thiago, on one team.

"He was a really nice guy," Mackenzie said of Messi. "He looked happy to see me playing with his son and some other boys.

"He doesn't act like he owns the place, he just acts like what anyone else would act like."

His mother, Anna O'Neill, from Canterbury, Kent, said: "It was such a sweet experience. They're just a very normal family.

"I know it's terrible but I just thought, 'oh here we go, another footballer', but a million per cent he's just interested in his family and it was really humbling. What a lovely thing for this guy to do - he's on a family vacation."

Ms O'Neill, 41, said she had been looking after her 14-month-old toddler in her room at a private Caribbean resort when Mackenzie rushed in and said: "Oh my god, mum, Messi is on the beach".

His mother, who is not a football fan, said: "I was just like, who?"

After messaging her brother and googling Messi's name, she went to the beach to see the Argentinian with her son and the other children, where they had been playing for around half an hour.

The footballer could not have been more kind, she said.

"You can see he's very much in love with his wife - it's glorious to see. His wife is a very warm person and Messi definitely seemed confident and happy for Mackenzie to be hanging around with his family.

"As they left on their final day, Messi and his wife gave really lovely waves saying, 'bye Mackenzie, bye' and we all said thank you so much and cheerio."

Bada Bing and ShortyMac repped this.
  11. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think you get fines for red cards.

14. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    According to the CONMEBOL press release the one match suspension and fine are for his infraction of Article 12.1.a (v) which deals with cases of players expelled from a match...
    http://www.conmebol.com/es/suspension-y-multa-para-lionel-andres-messi

"Unsportsmanlike conduct against rival players or other persons other than match officials, pronouncing terms or expressions that threaten decorum or dignity or using gestures or gestures contrary to good sports order."
    http://www.conmebol.com/sites/default/files/reglamento-disciplinario-esp-2019.pdf

Word is CONMEBOL will decide on any punishment for his post-match comments some time next week.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lionel-messi-handed-post-copa-18762510

BocaFan and celito repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    AFAIK every yellow / red card comes with a fine but it's the club that pays them.

unclesox repped this.
  16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Which is what is stated in CONMEBOL’s press release I linked above: The fine would automatically be withdrawn from the AFA’s prize winnings from the tournament.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But suspension is for WC qualifying, not Copa America. That's good for Barca. Hopefully he'll get another game tagged on so he will get 2 full weeks rest in March.

18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When is the refs punishment decided?

19. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    They said next week.

Rumors that CONMEBOL is also thinking of taking the hosting rights away from Argentina for the Copa 2020 as well.

I don’t think they are going to let Messi off that easy.

They said that they debated about the punishment for Messi’s comments, but could not come to an agreement.

20. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    “Next Tuesday: the other penalty to Messi for the statements he made. It will be 2-6 months, but since his statements, to meet FIFA date. He could not play the friendlies or the first date of Qualifying.” — from Argentine sources.

Messi will probably not be able to play against Chile and Mexico (Sept friendlies), Germany (Oct friendly), Brazil (Nov friendly), and 1st match of Qualifying in March - if punishment is for 6 months.

21. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder if Messi gets 6 months for doing nothing and stating the obvious, how much the referee is going to get from ruining the whole tournament and staining the sport on whole? :eek:

afar repped this.
  22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    As usual Messi is the bad guy ..
    Whilst Cronaldo gets off scott_free from the long standing rape charges .. looks like his money was well spent on his legal team ..

afar repped this.
  23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One thing has nothing to do with the other. Sheesh ... :rolleyes:

And Messi getting 6 months through meaningless friendlies and one round of WCQ is getting off very easy.

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Not connected ?

The two top players of the last decade ... one arrogant swine gets off a rape charge ( somehow ... check out the case details and his initial statements) and hardly makes the news yet Messi who’s an angel by any standards gets slaughtered by the media ..

afar repped this.
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Absolutely, unequivocally, not connected.

unclesox repped this.