The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    1123723902587416579 is not a valid tweet id

afar, Bada Bing, evil_allan and 2 others repped this.
  2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez is brillant,he is not over

3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He looks unfit and carrying some timber though

4. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw this in Youtube and I think fans of Messi would love this.

A compile of all of Messi 600 goals that he score for Barca from past to present. It like 50 minutes long, but has all of his 600 goals.

TitoTata, afar, Bada Bing and 3 others repped this.
  5. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What i find even more impressive is his assists , someone made a similar video regarding that 6 months ago

TitoTata, afar, Bada Bing and 3 others repped this.
  6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome.

afar repped this.
  7. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's awfully quiet in here... LOL

petros93 repped this.
  8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We still love Messi and always will. His legacy will be remembered more for his success and achievements than for being "one of the biggest choke-jobs ever".

Danko and celito repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some people are unbelievable.

10. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Messi will go down as the biggest choker in the history of football. No other big player has had so many collapses on huge matches like he has. I know his fans wanna put the blame on everyone else but him(higuain, valverde etc) but still if you have him as much as the goat you expect him to step up on big games. I don't care about ronaldo personally but at least the last 5 years or so he stepped up on huge games and proved he is a leader something messi only shows on some copa del rey finals or against sevilla or something.

verde-rubro repped this.
  11. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    So 2nd leg vs Lyon, 2nd leg vs Man U and 1st leg against Liverpool weren't big games? He's scored at least 2 goals against every opponent he faced in the CL this year. Go enjoy a 3rd place finish in La Liga and a R16 loss. Oh and donkey but our donkey Suarez raping you guys twice this year.

12. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Haha you're so salty. Yep barcelona had a more successful year than Madrid this year I never denied that. I'm pretty cool though. We haven't spend like 500 million euros the last 3 years only to see are huge rival winning the ucl 3 times in the row.

13. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Still doesn't change the fact that Messi scored 2 goals in the 1st leg against this Liverpool team. Including a free kick screamer that would be talked about for ages if Barca didn't lose the tie. It's probably still goal of the year. To blame him is stupid when they are obvious other culprits.

14. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    1st leg aren't huge matches. If you can't close the deal and go through the next round it means nothing. So 2 goals in the first leg and not being able to proceed after being up 3-0 just makes the case for Messi even worse since he choked again. And he had his chances last night. He didn't finish them. It's all on him.
    That foul on the first leg though was sweeet! I'll give you that. Messi has proven to be an excellent free kick taker the last years.

15. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    If Messi choked then every player who ever lost a football match choked. And I don't agree with that... You can't have two half chances and score a goal every time. You guys had a shit season but if I'm honest you have better players than we do in a lot of positions. Without Messi this year, we'd be royally screwed. I don't think people realize how much he's carried us.

afar and petros93 repped this.
  16. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Now you're talking man. I only say he choked because he's done it again in big games with barca and argentina too. I'm not saying that only because he had a good game.

Now you're actually talking the truth. Barca had a better year undeniably but Madrid is so close to make some changes and be up there next year. Barca needs to change a lot of stuff. Lenglet? Pique? Sergi roberto? Malcolm? Dembele? Countinho? These are the players that they're gonna win the ucl with? Not at all. Messi is one of the greatest players ever and he's had a phenomenal year but the team is not as good as most barca fans want to think. I thought you were just another delusional fan but man you got my respect! Have a nice day!

17. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Messi ain’t overrated like that dude as your pfp @petros93

18. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Haha well at least Zidane as the leader won everything with his national team and his club unlike your god messi ;)

19. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Meh, winning the WC with a world class stacked team. Failed to win the CL at Juve cuz he struggled. Winning one CL and La Liga with Real which ain’t impressive at all. It’s funny how Juve was better without Zidane.

20. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    El Clasico are the biggest matches for Barcelona and Messi has done fairly well in those over the years.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No. The only important games are CL KO rounds .. at least that's what the kids say nowadays.

ShortyMac and unclesox repped this.
  22. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Not a Messi hater like most Portuguese people, and Vice Versa of course. But I do have one serious question, why is he Barca's captain? I am not a fan of foreign players as Captain's in other countries clubs unless they are naturally born leaders that you just have no choice but to make as your captain. Game after game after game whether for Barcelona or Argentina anytime adversity hits what does Messi do......he hangs his head and looks down and doesn't speak to the players, and then a result the other Barca players seem to do the same. I've seen this so many times with Messi, anytime his team is failing he looks so defeated and puts his head down and walks around with his head down. I am sorry, that is not a leader, leaders motivate when they are down, they try and pump their teammates up, they don't shy away from this responsibility. And its not a diss against Messi, not everyone is a leader, not everyone is born to lead, look at corporations, there are many great employees but even though they are great at what they do, some of them are not suited for management and leadership roles. That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that.

So why is the captain? Because he's their best player? He isn't fit to be the captain, and there is nothing wrong with that. They need better leadership in Barcelona's team, they don't need a rebuild, just maybe a few more players with character and a new captain.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are two facets to being a captain . One is in the locker room . Giving pre game speech. The other is on the field to speak to the ref but also , at least on the past , to be a vocal leader. Even calling attention of some players .

Reportedly Messi has been more vocal in the locker room. On the field , I feel like the role of the captain has lost some of its value per say as coaches have taken more control over everything that goes on with tactics . In the big teams , seldom you will see a player disobey tactical orders . I don’t see the need for a player to call the attention of another much. It has become more symbolic really . But in any case , personality apart , the best captains were defenders and mods anyways . They see the game better because of their position.

But to answer your question , it’s tradition I think that at Barca that the player with the lingest tenure is captain .

unclesox repped this.
  24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It didn’t end well for him last night but I was still impressed with the 19 year Ajax captain De Ligt last night ... he was there rallying his troops and even screaming orders where required..

Gutted for the Ajax lads