The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've noticed the past few games Messi has had a more serious demeanor. Can see it when other players scored goals in the Deportivo goal (first Coutinho goal) and today. Also in the CDR. I think losing to Roma was really a tough pill to swallow. Winning La Liga and the CDR has become routine. Hopefully that add some fuel for next season and he has one more CL in him with a renewed team.

Or just could be that with Mascherano and Iniesta leaving Pique and Busquets are really the only guys left from this golden generation.

2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is what I mean by playmaking. Messi has maintained his playmaking output the past decade where as Fakenaldo's output has dropped two thirds.
    [​IMG]
    On that note Messi is two dribbles (183) of matching his best league season 10-11 (185).

Rattlehead and ShortyMac repped this.
  3. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lmfao, Bella Kona made a video to prove that Maradona and Pele faced harsher fouls than Messi. When will this overrated belief ever stop?

4. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    [​IMG]

Messi has the heat map of a midfielder but the most goals in the top 5 European leagues. Let that sink in for a second!

Bada Bing and ShortyMac repped this.
  5. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Messi not in the sqaud vs Levante

Hope he plays in the last game though as he has 34 goals and my prediction for him was 36 goals this year

Rattlehead repped this.
  6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pele once said football was tougher back then because the ball was much harder than the one that is used today. Thats a funny logic if you think about it because all his opponents also kicking the same ball that he kicked lol.

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi just won practically his 5th (record) Golden Boot.

34 Messi (1 game left)
    32 Salah
    30 Kane
    29 Lewandowski
    29 Immobile
    28 Cavani (1)
    28 Icardi (1)
    25 C.Ronaldo (1)
    33 Jonas (1, 1.5x)
    24 Suarez (2)

Danko and ShortyMac repped this.
  8. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Messi started 40 matches this season in La Liga and Champions League. He was Man of the Match 28 times or 70% of the time. Ronaldo started 38 matches this season in La Liga and Champions League. He was Man of the Match 11 times or 29% of the time.

Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi has secured the golden shoe for the fifth time, an all time record ahead of CR.

ShortyMac repped this.
  10. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    - Premier League

Top Scorer: Mohammed Salah 32
    Most Assists: Kevin De Bruyne 16
    Most Chances Created: Kevin De Bruyne 104
    Best Dribbler: Hazard 149
    ---------------------
    - Serie A

Top Scorer: Immobile 29
    Most Assists: Luis Alberto 14
    Most Chances Created: Insigne 93
    Best Dribbler: Alejandro Gómez 98
    ---------------------
    - Bundesliga

Leading scorer: Lewandowski 29
    Most Assists: Thomas Muller 14
    Most Chances Created: James Rodriguez 59
    Best Dribbler: Daniel Caligiuri 96
    ---------------------
    - Ligue 1

Top Scorer: Cavani 28
    Most Assists: Dimitri Payet 13
    Most Chances Created: Thauvin 68
    Best Dribbler: Neymar 142
    ---------------------
    - La Liga

Top Scorer: Messi 34
    Most Assists: Messi 12
    Most Chances Created: Messi 85
    Best Dribbler: Messi 185

An entire league of 220+ pro players (Including the back to back UCL Champions) are beaten by 1 man in every single category...

ShortyMac, afar, Danko and 1 other person repped this.
  11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Pablo fornals from villareal also has 12 assists

12. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does Messi have photographic memory or something just like LeBron James? I remember when Pep once stated that Messi’s intelligence is on par with Cruyff(who I feel had near eidetic memory) Messi’s reading of the game is somewhat unrivalled IMO.

afar repped this.
  13. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Lionel Messi - "It would be terrible to see Neymar at Real Madrid. It would hit us hard. I have already told him."

14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Translation:

Show Spoiler
    - Lionel Messi: “A good World Cup for us will mean reaching the semi finals at the very least.” [tyc]

- Messi: “No one wants to win more than us. We’ve lost 3 finals and we want to get rid of that burden.” [tyc]

- Messi: “I realised that retiring in 2016 was wrong. It sends a wrong message to everyone who fights for their dreams. You must never give up no matter what.” [tyc]

- Messi: “I don’t want to be the best in history. I just want to win with my teammates. I want to play with and for my compatriots.” [tyc]

- Messi: “It would be terrible to see Neymar at Real Madrid. He meant a lot to us. It’ll be a big blow to the fans.” [tyc]

- Messi: “The 6-1 against Spain is a false result. We were very good in the first half. We had possession and created many chances.” [tyc]

- Messi: “Everything Sampaoli does is intense. He demands the maximum from us. He puts 100% into everything he does.” [tyc]

- Messi: “We are not obligated to anyone for anything.” [tyc]

- Messi: “Playing with Aguero at Manchester City? No.” [tyc via sport]

- Messi: “Real Madrid’s recent Champions League success? They get it done, sometimes by playing badly. For us, we have to always be superior to our rivals to win.” [tyc]

- Messi: “Iniesta’s departure? We practically started together. It was great to have lived through so many great moments with him.” [tyc]

- Messi: “I don’t have to move to another team to prove anything to anyone. It’s very difficult for me to leave Barcelona.” [tyc]

- Messi: “I don’t like to watch myself play. I don’t rewatch the games on television. But yes, I have changed as a player and person over the years and I have incorporated some new things to my game.” [tyc]

- Messi: “Every player has pressure. You just have to find ways to lessen it and do things to make yourself feel better.” [tyc]

- Messi: “I have a strong friendship with Suarez. On the pitch, he makes life easier. His movement is great, he runs, he presses. Sometimes he runs one way but then goes another way. It makes it easier for me to play my game as well.” [tyc]

- Messi: “Barcelona and Argentina are my two great loves.” [tyc]

- Messi: “I don’t know what I’ll do when I retire. I’ll have to discover it over time. I just enjoy my life and what God has given me.” [tyc]

- Messi: “Only in Argentina will you get abused for reaching three finals in a row. They called us ‘cold chested’ and ‘shit’.” [tyc]

- Messi: “My chance in the World Cup final? I would’ve hit it better from the inside of my foot. I want to go back and revisit that situation.” [tyc]

- Messi: “We have to play really well to win the World Cup. Truth is that it’s harder now. Any team can be organised and get a 1-0 victory against you these days.” [tyc]

- Messi: “God will decide if we will win World Cup or not. But we will try our level best and leave everything on the pitch. What has to happen will happen.” [tyc]

- Messi: “I wish we were like Germany.” [tyc]

- Messi: “The elimination against Roma was shit. We had one foot in the semi finals. We had a massive advantage. It was a big disappointment.” [tyc via sport]

ShortyMac and puyol repped this.
  15. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  18. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  20. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    In 25 matches against nations that have won the World Cup, Messi has 12 goals.
    In 22 matches against nations that have won the World Cup, Ronaldo has 1 goal.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hate to say it, but all that's gonna matter in the end, are WC goals or assists. Without that, this becomes a meaningless stat. He needs to do something with direct impact in the KO round.

22. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    No doubt it. Messi had a good WC in 2014 but he wasn't transcendent and didn't do much in the KO round. He has to do to better. By the way your countryman Mr. Neymar has probably been better than both Messi and CR on the international stage thus far in his career.

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Just needs to score FOUR tomorrow then ..

Unless Messi either dominates the finals or gets the top scorer with some great goals then the upcoming world player award will go to Cronaldo which will put him 7:6 up in the head to head and I don't see Messi getting anymore after this season ..

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    CR only 1 goal ahead of Messi in term of WC goal total.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Way to jinx it ... :whistling: